Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

JP Miles - Upgrade Redemption (LHR-BOM-LHR)

Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

For once, I actually have enough JP Miles to upgrade from Economy to Premiere on either LHR - BOM (24th Feb) or BOM - LHR (8th March)

For the last 3 weeks I've been waitlisted for LHR -> BOM

Perhaps I'm not using the software correctly but KVS shows 9W 117 and 118 to show that Premiere isn't all that full. On the phone, the JP representative told me that I may have better luck on the return leg. Perhaps someone here could confirm?

I was informed that upgrades are made on the basis of D Class availability - in practice, at what stage are these vacant seats discounted to this fare class?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
welcome to ft jpmul....there are lots of thread in the 'airline of india' forum about jp award availability....jet is extremely stingy with award seats & upgrades....they will probably wait till the very last minute before they confirm the upgrade....
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response Keyser

So I suppose best bet is to opt for the flight with the highest availability as of right now and hope for the best
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by JPMul
Thanks for the response Keyser

So I suppose best bet is to opt for the flight with the highest availability as of right now and hope for the best
you could try that but like i said before, it will all depend on availability at the last minute....
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
and because they are doing cash upgrades on some flights - I strongly suggest you push the JP Desk to clear your seat the prior to or the day of departure.
Technically, a waitlist or even a voucher listing is supposed to get priority over someone willing to fork out extra cash at the airport, but due to some form of incentive scheme - this doesn't always work out if you are dealing with someone at the counter who isn't the most ethical person.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:13 am

@JPMul I was in a similar situation last year and posted in FT because I had not idea how this would work I did have Business and I was looking to redeem into First and I did get my upgrade.

I phoned them every 2-3 days for 3.5 weeks and asked them to put the redemption through and after several calls and each time it was wait-listed until one weekend I got a email confirming my redemption, I know this can be frustrating but keep your cool when talking to the call center.

Bear in mind the tax when you get your redemption

Last edited by Premgenius; Jan 31, 2012 at 4:40 am
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:58 am
Original Poster

JetPrivilege tells me that the load factor in Premiere is 100% and is actually overbooked!

Meanwhile the reservations desk reports a rather low load factor in business.

KVS seems to suggest plenty of availability.

I realise that there is no D class availability and it will only be confirmed at the check-in desk but it seems quite farfetched to suggest that the cabin is overbooked?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JetPrivilege tells me that the load factor in Premiere is 100% and is actually overbooked!

Meanwhile the reservations desk reports a rather low load factor in business.

KVS seems to suggest plenty of availability.

I realise that there is no D class availability and it will only be confirmed at the check-in desk but it seems quite farfetched to suggest that the cabin is overbooked?
they give this overbooked excuse all the time....just today i was flying from pnq-bom & wanted to upgrade my colleague's ticket....they told me premiere was overbooked so it couldn't be done....at the airport they told me it couldn't be done till boarding time so we waited....they eventually gave the upgrade & it turned out that there were only 2 seats booked in premiere, the remaining 6 were empty....after my colleague got his seat there were still 5 seats that went empty....if this is what they mean by overbooked then i wonder what a light load would be....
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by Keyser
they give this overbooked excuse all the time....just today i was flying from pnq-bom & wanted to upgrade my colleague's ticket....they told me premiere was overbooked so it couldn't be done....at the airport they told me it couldn't be done till boarding time so we waited....they eventually gave the upgrade & it turned out that there were only 2 seats booked in premiere, the remaining 6 were empty....after my colleague got his seat there were still 5 seats that went empty....if this is what they mean by overbooked then i wonder what a light load would be....
there airport staff have become BS experts telling tall tales like this. On a recent DEL-MAA flight, I was lucky though to meet a good supervisor who told me that as a PLAT/CIP I was first on the list for an upgrade and they still had one seat open for sale. At T-44 when check-in was closed the lounge told me I still hadn't been upgraded. I called the PR number and received a called back in a min saying that my new seat was 1A and that they would update my Bpass and take my voucher at the gate and that a loader was on his way to take care of me through boarding.

Guess when 9W works - they remind you why we keep flying them every now and again. As much as I am miffed with them about my 500,000 JP miles that seem impossible to use, on domestic - they are still the most proffessional and miles ahead of the pack IMHO
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Pretty glad I booked 9W over Kingfisher..

So as it turns out, after a few repeat phone calls my PNR status finally flagged my Premiere upgrade as "Confirmed". A wonderful treat after what will end in a 60 hour week

However I notice that my JP Miles haven't been charged yet. Should I be concerned at all?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty glad I booked 9W over Kingfisher..

So as it turns out, after a few repeat phone calls my PNR status finally flagged my Premiere upgrade as "Confirmed". A wonderful treat after what will end in a 60 hour week

However I notice that my JP Miles haven't been charged yet. Should I be concerned at all?
no concern....they will charge it at some point....
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Anyone going to vote for Jet at the Freddies....
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by d3vski
Anyone going to vote for Jet at the Freddies....
unfortunately, the alternatives in india are no better at the moment....
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser
unfortunately, the alternatives in india are no better at the moment....
I disagree
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I disagree
you certainly have the right to but it won't change reality....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.