Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

International to Domestic transfer: HYD or MAA?

Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)

I am traveling from ORD-AUH-India by Etihad. Once there I need to make a domestic connection to some 9W flight to Bhopal. Options seem to be as follows:

1. DEL. Arrive 10:30PM, depart next day 2:20PM, about 11 hour connection. Scratch that?

2. BOM. Arrive 3AM, depart 550AM, less than 3 hour connection. Probably not a good choice? I understand that terminals are far apart although traffic at that time should not be an issue.

3. HYD. Arrive 3AM, depart 10AM (7 hour connection). Any suggestions what to do at the airport?

4. MAA. Arrive 4AM depart 8:30 AM (4.5 hr connection).

Which of these options would be best in your opinion? Just based on numbers, I am leaning towards MAA, but don't know MAA or HYD and wonder if the latter, being a more modern airport, might be a better choice.

BTW, options 3 and 4 take me to BHO at the same time by the same flight (starts in MAA and makes a stop in HYD). Only difference is time spent in flights and airports, and which airport.

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 20, 2011 at 9:05 pm
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aktchi
I am traveling from ORD-AUH-India by Etihad. Once there I need to make a domestic connection to some 9W flight to Bhopal. Options seem to be as follows:

1. DEL. Arrive 10:30PM, depart next day 2:20PM, about 11 hour connection. Scratch that?

2. BOM. Arrive 3AM, depart 550AM, less than 3 hour connection. Probably not a good choice? I understand that terminals are far apart although traffic at that time should not be an issue.

3. HYD. Arrive 3AM, depart 10AM (7 hour connection). Any suggestions what to do at the airport?

4. MAA. Arrive 4AM depart 8:30 AM (4.5 hr connection).

Which of these options would be best in your opinion? Just based on numbers, I am leaning towards MAA, but don't know MAA or HYD and wonder if the latter, being a more modern airport, might be a better choice.

BTW, options 3 and 4 take me to BHO at the same time by the same flight (starts in MAA and makes a stop in HYD). Only difference is time spent in flights and airports, and which airport.
Both airports are rather boring, but I'd suggest HYD - the airport is modern, and it's not hard to find seating that is infinitely more comfortable than sitting in an economy seat...
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, National Emerald Club, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Both airports are rather boring, but I'd suggest HYD - the airport is modern, and it's not hard to find seating that is infinitely more comfortable than sitting in an economy seat...
I agree with PVDtoDEL here! HYD is modern and the airport is definitely better.

Once you exit, you may want to proceed to the Novotel (just a few blocks away) and maybe grab a breakfast buffet there, before returning to check-in for your BHO flight.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
few things to consider:

1. you need the BP to transfer air side, if not you have to come out and check-in back, there is NO transfer desk in HYD
2. in Indian airport, the security may not let you back in the airport in less then 3 hrs of flight departure and the CISF kind off close the Domestic terminals after the last flight leaves and open back in the morning - which may result in you siting in cold outside in the parking ( Personal experience )
3. if you are not doing through check-in of bags in the same PNR , indian carriers are doing away with the extended allowance for international passengers.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:47 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
This is quite do-able if you want to get to BHO a few hours earlier. If that's not an issue, via HYD or MAA should be similar. In MAA, the terminals are separate, but next to each other (walkable). In HYD, the terminals are connected. After immigration & customs, you can follow the signs for domestic connections.

Originally Posted by Whizkid
3. if you are not doing through check-in of bags in the same PNR , indian carriers are doing away with the extended allowance for international passengers.
I thought only 9W was doing this. Which other carriers are adopting this policy?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Whizkid
few things to consider:

1. you need the BP to transfer air side, if not you have to come out and check-in back, there is NO transfer desk in HYD
Since there is no customs in Bhopal, OP would have to come out of the terminal anyway. I do reccommend the Novotel Breakfast if you like continental...
Old Oct 21, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Given that you reach HYD at 3am, and first domestic departures are around 5am, I don't think you shall have any problems with CISF when trying to enter the domestic side of HYD.
There is also a Plaza lounge where you can have a nap/shower if so you wish to.

From what I remember of MAA, its was still under renovation with not much seating/eating in the domestic area.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Appreciate all the responses.

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
[BOM 2 hr 50 min connection] is quite do-able if you want to get to BHO a few hours earlier.
If the transfer is do-able, I might prefer this. I was just concerned about the domestic terminal being several miles away. Although traffic would not be an issue, there may be flight delay or long lines at immigration. More like fear of unknown as I mostly transfer at DEL and am not familiar with BOM.

Glad to hear everyone's advice that HYD is to be preferred to MAA.

Originally Posted by jetche2004
...HYD...Once you exit, you may want to proceed to the Novotel (just a few blocks away) and maybe grab a breakfast buffet there, before returning to check-in for your BHO flight.
Thanks. This will work in many ways: After about 30 hours of economy class food, and no better prospects in the domestic flt "operated by Jet Konnect", I'll be ready for one good meal. This will also help pass time which, thanks to the 7 hour connection, I'll have a lot of.

BTW, I looked into Business Class (award with AA miles), but those seats are not open in early December for any airline any connection from ORD to India. I realize this is short notice but I didn't think early December was such a popular travel time. Later, 3rd week which I thought is busier, would have been available.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:13 am

If the transfer is do-able, I might prefer this. I was just concerned about the domestic terminal being several miles away. Although traffic would not be an issue, there may be flight delay or long lines at immigration. More like fear of unknown as I mostly transfer at DEL and am not familiar with BOM.
There is a difference between doable and doable comfortably
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Appreciate all the responses.

Glad to hear everyone's advice that HYD is to be preferred to MAA.

Thanks. This will work in many ways: After about 30 hours of economy class food, and no better prospects in the domestic flt "operated by Jet Konnect", I'll be ready for one good meal. This will also help pass time which, thanks to the 7 hour connection, I'll have a lot of.

BTW, I looked into Business Class (award with AA miles), but those seats are not open in early December for any airline any connection from ORD to India. I realize this is short notice but I didn't think early December was such a popular travel time. Later, 3rd week which I thought is busier, would have been available.
December 11-25 is the most highest peak travel season for USA to India.
India to US peaks just following christmas through Jan 15th.

You may be able to make the connection in BOM, but it sure wont be fun.
MAA, BLR, DEL and HYD are much more easier.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snod08
December 11-25 is the most highest peak travel season for USA to India.
That is what I thought. Yet I am discovering that Business award seats are available during that period, but not in early December (like 2nd or 3rd).
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
even though i hate transferring through bom, given your choices i would go with option #2....

transferring through bom in less than 3 hours is normally tough but at that time in the morning it will be very easy....plus you get to your destination the quickest....
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
even though i hate transferring through bom, given your choices i would go with option #2....

transferring through bom in less than 3 hours is normally tough but at that time in the morning it will be very easy....plus you get to your destination the quickest....
Although I have flown from/to BOM many times, never connected there. I don't mind "ruggedness" but wouldn't want to miss my connection, because the next one is something like 13 hours later.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Although I have flown from/to BOM many times, never connected there. I don't mind "ruggedness" but wouldn't want to miss my connection, because the next one is something like 13 hours later.
If you happen to miss the 550 due to delays, your next best option would probably be the 735 via HYD. Extra segment + free breakfast
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the distance between the 2 airports can be covered in about 15 minutes at that time in the morning so you shouldn't have a problem....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.