Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 10, 11, 6:45 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Agent or Online??

I reside in the US and planning to travel within India using the domestic airlines and probably a trip to Dubai/Abu Dhabi.

Do you get good prices by going through an agent or online? If online, are there meta-search sites like kayak that I could use to find good rates for domestic/international (DXB/AUH).

It seems like the older people use agents and younger folk do online..interested in hearing your experience and any tips.

Thanks

(PS did a quick search and didn't find a relevant answer in the old threads)
kathomas1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 11, 7:41 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: DL Diamond, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice Diamond
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathomas1999 View Post
I reside in the US and planning to travel within India using the domestic airlines and probably a trip to Dubai/Abu Dhabi.

Do you get good prices by going through an agent or online? If online, are there meta-search sites like kayak that I could use to find good rates for domestic/international (DXB/AUH).

It seems like the older people use agents and younger folk do online..interested in hearing your experience and any tips.

Thanks

(PS did a quick search and didn't find a relevant answer in the old threads)
Usually for domestic flights I do an online search and depending upon schedules and Prices, I either make an online reservation - paid for with my US Credit card, either Visa, Mastercard or AMEX - with the airline directly (especially with the private airlines) or ask a relative to make a booking for me - for Air India or IC. The fees that brick and mortar travel agents add to the total is just ridiculous.
Same with India to neighboring countries - India - SIN or India - HKG.
Have never done India-Middle East.
dd1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 11, 3:11 am   #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,389
For domestic flights within India, check out makemytrip.com, ezeego.com, yatra.com,travelguru.com .. there are many global sites like travelocity.co.in etc alsoo..
I usually check out those sites, check the best fares and timings and then also check on that specific airline's site for prices.. Many times some of the above sites have some offers etc and sometimes the airline sites have offers.. If prices are the same or small difference, I book with airline site otherwise with the above sites..
abhilife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 11, 12:18 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Taj IC Gold, AI Maharajah, DL Silver
Posts: 21,110
if you are interested then i can pm the details of a good travel agent so that you can compare prices....i always use a ta....simply because it saves me the hassle of booking myself & dealing with changes & cancellations....my ta does everything for me in a short phone call....
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 11, 1:23 am   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
if you are interested then i can pm the details of a good travel agent so that you can compare prices....i always use a ta....simply because it saves me the hassle of booking myself & dealing with changes & cancellations....my ta does everything for me in a short phone call....
with the amount of flying u do and references u give them, he better does this
abhilife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 11, 1:25 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Goa, India
Programs: 9W Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, AI Silver
Posts: 487
Do a quick search on cleartrip.com or makemytrip.com to check fares and then compare them with a TA..
Anish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 11, 1:39 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
Do a quick search on cleartrip.com or makemytrip.com to check fares and then compare them with a TA..
+1

I normally find a TA cheaper.
cleome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 11, 2:08 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Taj IC Gold, AI Maharajah, DL Silver
Posts: 21,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleome View Post
+1

I normally find a TA cheaper.
they are cheaper most of the time & the best part about a good ta is that you don't have to deal with the airline if something goes wrong....the ta would do it for you....
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 11, 2:58 am   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Goa, India
Programs: 9W Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, AI Silver
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
they are cheaper most of the time & the best part about a good ta is that you don't have to deal with the airline if something goes wrong....the ta would do it for you....
True.. Though I don't understand why the TAs are cheaper..

Shouldn't the airline sell the cheapest tickets on its own website/booking counter considering it's not paying a % to any 3rd party website or TA?
Anish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 11, 3:26 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Taj IC Gold, AI Maharajah, DL Silver
Posts: 21,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
True.. Though I don't understand why the TAs are cheaper..

Shouldn't the airline sell the cheapest tickets on its own website/booking counter considering it's not paying a % to any 3rd party website or TA?
if i remember correctly, i don't think ta's get commissions anymore so there is hardly a difference between the ta & airline prices....
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 11, 8:49 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MAA
Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
if i remember correctly, i don't think ta's get commissions anymore so there is hardly a difference between the ta & airline prices....
Lets put it this way - TA fares are not always cheaper than airline fares. But a good TA is far better at putting you into a lower fare bucket (Z or D instead of J, or get you V where the airline keeps offering you half or zero mile earning buckets like S and W). Also good at waitlisting PNRs.

[this excludes corporate TAs - at least the one I'm stuck with - from all this .. I've had enough to do cleaning up the mess they make of even a simple booking change that I find it easier to call the airline direct - staff hired more for english speaking skills and a snooty attitude than for any particular skill with a GDS]
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 11, 6:10 am   #12
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Lets put it this way - TA fares are not always cheaper than airline fares. But a good TA is far better at putting you into a lower fare bucket (Z or D instead of J, or get you V where the airline keeps offering you half or zero mile earning buckets like S and W). Also good at waitlisting PNRs.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
[this excludes corporate TAs - at least the one I'm stuck with - from all this .. I've had enough to do cleaning up the mess they make of even a simple booking change that I find it easier to call the airline direct - staff hired more for english speaking skills and a snooty attitude than for any particular skill with a GDS]
i face the same problem regularly.. our corp ta thru whom I need to make each and every ticket is .. Heck, most of the time they get me fares higher than what is even shown on the web and when I tell them that, they say they cannot see that in their systems
abhilife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 11, 6:13 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Taj IC Gold, AI Maharajah, DL Silver
Posts: 21,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Lets put it this way - TA fares are not always cheaper than airline fares. But a good TA is far better at putting you into a lower fare bucket (Z or D instead of J, or get you V where the airline keeps offering you half or zero mile earning buckets like S and W). Also good at waitlisting PNRs.
over the last couple of year i've hardly found a difference between ta & airline rates....the max i've come about is inr 100 or so....

i completely agree with you on the other points....
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 11, 6:15 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Taj IC Gold, AI Maharajah, DL Silver
Posts: 21,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
[this excludes corporate TAs - at least the one I'm stuck with - from all this .. I've had enough to do cleaning up the mess they make of even a simple booking change that I find it easier to call the airline direct - staff hired more for english speaking skills and a snooty attitude than for any particular skill with a GDS]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
i face the same problem regularly.. our corp ta thru whom I need to make each and every ticket is .. Heck, most of the time they get me fares higher than what is even shown on the web and when I tell them that, they say they cannot see that in their systems
you guys should use my ta....they are excellent....
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 11, 6:18 am   #15
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
you guys should use my ta....they are excellent....
atleast I cannot since our company has this global tie up with this agent !!!
abhilife2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:53 am.