Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Please report your successful 9W/AI/UK redemptions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat

With Jet nearly covering most of the airlines with their alliances there must be some good deals out there. The only problem is that we don't know as they haven't published any redemption rates for their partners. So rather you need to fill out a form and what not.

So I thought to start this thread. Please update when you successfully pull of a redemption from any of the above airlines with how many miles you paid and what the taxes were.

Feel free to update any past redemptions which will also be useful.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by lallyr
With Jet nearly covering most of the airlines with their alliances there must be some good deals out there. The only problem is that we don't know as they haven't published any redemption rates for their partners. So rather you need to fill out a form and what not.

So I thought to start this thread. Please update when you successfully pull of a redemption from any of the above airlines with how many miles you paid and what the taxes were.

Feel free to update any past redemptions which will also be useful.
A very good idea.. ^
another thing I would like to add. I guess it would be a good idea to also add details of miles required for any partner destinations even if they were not successful. I mean, if someone sent a query for partner redemption for a sector and after learning about the miles and fees to be paid, decided against redemption, its also valuable info ..

As for me, I have only redeemed in 9W domestically even though many a times it did not give very good value
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
if someone sent a query for partner redemption for a sector
CDG-LHR was quoted 5,000 miles, didn't follow through for taxes.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Redeemed about 26, 000 JP miles for a MAA - SIN - MAA Economy ticket bout a year back..this too i later realized wasn't actually what you'd call as a value for redemption..They had some promotion of sorts running, whereby they were giving a 25% discount on the number of miles needed for a redemption.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
even J tickets on that route are dirt cheap, including taxes .. MAA-SIN or MAA-KUL is not really the best value for redemptions unless you're just looking to get rid of your miles.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by hserus
even J tickets on that route are dirt cheap, including taxes .. MAA-SIN or MAA-KUL is not really the best value for redemptions unless you're just looking to get rid of your miles.
Absolutely - very bad use of miles...
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:04 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
The big issue with using IT and 9W partner redemptions in the whole process.
In today's day and age complete inflexibility doesn't fly...

With both, you have to book weeks in advance, send in a request and then their offices contact the airlines to check availability.
So, as any good FT'er would do, after checking availability on the various tools and finding your flight, the time taken for 9W / IT to receive and action the partner request form - chances are, your seat is gone.

If you are lucky enough to still have the seat, once the ticket is issued, you can't touch it - no changes, no cancellations nothing...
Plus rates are way too high for most redemptions...

In contrast redeeming miles for 9W on 9W and IT on IT is much easier as far as rules and regulations, and IT is actually quite good about award seat availability and opening up seats on flights that don't fill up.

So great idea - but be forewarned, 9W/IT partner redemptions have their own set of issues.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avm2806
So great idea - but be forewarned, 9W/IT partner redemptions have their own set of issues.
And the biggest one seems to be the lack of them
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:13 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Recent redemptions that I can recall over the last couple of years:

9W: DEL-LHR v.v. @ 81k OW in F x 3
9W: DEL-LHR v.v. @ 55k OW in J x 2
9W: BRU-YYZ-BRU @ 80k RT in J

IT: DEL-LHR-DEL @ 65k RT in J (route launch 30%ish redemption discount in J! ^)
IT: DEL-ATQ-DEL v.v. @ 10k RT
IT: DEL-UDR-DEL v.v. @ 10k RT
(On these two domestics, fares were quite high for the route i.e. greater than INR 10k, but surprisingly awards were still available!)
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJLondon
9W: DEL-LHR v.v. @ 81k OW in F x 3
You mean you got 3 seats on the same flight?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by lallyr
You mean you got 3 seats on the same flight?
As if! I might need to marry a Goyal child before that happens!!

I only meant that I redeemed in that cabin/route three times in the last couple of years.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJLondon
As if! I might need to marry a Goyal child before that happens!!

I only meant that I redeemed in that cabin/route three times in the last couple of years.
Ahh I see. I almost fell off my chair when I read that
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Have a trip coming up to the States and is EWR - MAA in biz class worth it at 94, 000 JP miles?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Sure 94K miles is about what it'd cost you on other carriers too. Depends on how high the tax + fuel surcharge component is .. on US airlines, its remarkably low.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by quarryking
Have a trip coming up to the States and is EWR - MAA in biz class worth it at 94, 000 JP miles?
IMHO, yes!

But it is also a question of how "miles-rich" vs. "cash-rich" you are in reference to that particular trip. And that only you can answer. For eg. if you have north of 500k JP miles and you earn them regularly, yes, use them for EWR-MAA in J in a heartbeat! But if you have say only 100k miles that took you 5 years to earn and you were saving them for a honeymoon in Italy, then the answer might be very different! It's all relative.

Anyways, in absolute terms, at least in my mind, it is a good value redemption given the lengths of the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.