Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Which airline best for honoring 2 piece system?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which airline best for honoring 2 piece system?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:37 pm

Hi:
This question has been asked in the past, but in light of baggage change policies in recent months, the response may be different this time.

I am flying in and out of India (Bombay) from Washington DC via Etihad in June 2013. I am booking my domestic segments within India separately (economy class).

Which airlines is best to honor the 2 piece baggage allowance(I have the return Etihad ticket to show)--and all domestic flights are within a 12 hour window from the international flights.
What options do I have?

Thanks for your valuable input!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alja78
Which airlines is best to honor the 2 piece baggage allowance(I have the return Etihad ticket to show)--and all domestic flights are within a 12 hour window from the international flights.
What options do I have?
None. Honoring 2 piece baggage allowance has gone the way of the dodo bird.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:53 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Agreed. If you still want to take a chance, Jet is your best bet. Jet full service is still not that stingy with baggage allowance, and given that they have some sort of tie up with Etihad, you might just get lucky...

AI is also an option, as they are not very stingy about baggage allowance.. you can completely rule of Spice Jet and Indigo..
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:58 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Originally Posted by simz
Agreed. If you still want to take a chance, Jet is your best bet. Jet full service is still not that stingy with baggage allowance, and given that they have some sort of tie up with Etihad, you might just get lucky...

AI is also an option, as they are not very stingy about baggage allowance.. you can completely rule of Spice Jet and Indigo..
Jet will only give you anything on the ticket, which i believe should be 20 kgs for the narrowbodies. anything more, you are risking it. 250 rs (5$) per kg is the excess baggage charge
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by A2A
Jet will only give you anything on the ticket, which i believe should be 20 kgs for the narrowbodies. anything more, you are risking it. 250 rs (5$) per kg is the excess baggage charge
Yep I can confirm Jet will not help. I had a Jet domestic to Jet First 2 months back and they would not budge from the 20kg allowance. I ended up paying around 5k in excess luggage.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Indeed there is no reliable way to do it on separately ticketed itineraries unless an upstream carrier tags the bags to include the domestic Indian sector(s) -- and that would more commonly be just for arrival into the country not departure from India.

IT was the last carrier this year where my international itinerary mattered and got me extra domestic baggage allowance for free -- even if separately ticketed and flying in on non-partner airlines.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed there is no reliable way to do it on separately ticketed itineraries unless an upstream carrier tags the bags to include the domestic Indian sector(s) -- and that would more commonly be just for arrival into the country not departure from India.
I tried that on an AI connection last year. You need to collect your bags when passing through customs anyway, so they charge when you are dropping your bag off again.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Bangkok - India check in baggage allowance - Jet

Hi,

Any idea why the check-in baggage allowance is a much higher 30-35 kgs between India and Bangkok route for 9W ?
This is the basic and we get all the other status / CC allowances in addition..

Trader / courier traffic is only on the CCU - BKK ( and v.v) sector from what I know, but this allowance is there for all the India - Bkk sectors..
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
No one allows intl allowance on 2 tickets, but I would go with AI since at least they have the most domestic allowance of 25kg.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I tried that on an AI connection last year. You need to collect your bags when passing through customs anyway, so they charge when you are dropping your bag off again.
Which airline checked in your bag on the flight to India? I don't fly AI domestically on regular paid tickets. On 9W it worked for me a few months ago. Perhaps a situation of YMMV.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Which airline checked in your bag on the flight to India? I don't fly AI domestically on regular paid tickets. On 9W it worked for me a few months ago. Perhaps a situation of YMMV.
UA tagged my bag PVD-EWR-DEL-(AI)-IXE, but when I presented my baggage at DEL, AI charged me...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA tagged my bag PVD-EWR-DEL-(AI)-IXE, but when I presented my baggage at DEL, AI charged me...
Was it one ticket?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Was it one ticket?
of course not... If it was a single ticket, then my 2pc allowance would apply for the AI segment as well.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

of course not... If it was a single ticket, then my 2pc allowance would apply for the AI segment as well.
Thought so. Last month I did LHR-BOM-DEL and Jet didn't have any issues with my 3 bags at 32kg. That was one ticket.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Check This: Jet Airways is offering a special fare with 2 bags for Tickets booked from USA

http://www.jetairways.com/EN/US/Spec...thinIndia.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.