India-based Airlines Chai Stall

Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Killdore
Something that I heard, pardon my ignorance:

"Air India levies huge taxes on its international flights"

So one of my friends who introduced me to this concept of air miles, told me that AI FR program is good for domestic flights as the taxes levied by AI are similar to Jet Airways etc, so when you redeem miles you get pretty much the same value.

However, on international flights, it is believed that AI levies huge taxes and the whole deal of "Mile Redemption + Cash Taxes" makes it a high cost flight. He believes that Jet and other airline taxes are much more rationalized and hence their miles actually give you much more value than AI.

He gave me an example: He booked a return flight to Dubai and had to pay somewhere around INR 10,000 + Miles.

According to him buying a ticket would have been cheaper.

Is there any merit to this theory?
Also, I read somewhere on FT about AI levying Fuel Surcharge which other airlines don't. Is the theory related to fuel surcharge?
BA is notorious about exorbitant " Fuel Surcharges" on award tickets. They now call it Carrier Imposed Charges because there is now a lawsuit pending in US courts that says BA was not truthful in applying FS as the very name applies that this should fluctuate with the price of fuel. Instaed it was going up while oil prices were going down ! I have paid 1200 USD for ORD BOM ORD award in businesses class on BA. NEVER AGAIN !
They do it even when you fly other alliance members while using their avios
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by HMPS
They do it even when you fly other alliance members while using their avios
not all....i've used avios to fly rj & aa without the exorbitant charges that ba imposes....but i've stopped using avios to fly ba....i just can't justify spending that much for a reward ticket....
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser
not all....i've used avios to fly rj & aa without the exorbitant charges that ba imposes....but i've stopped using avios to fly ba....i just can't justify spending that much for a reward ticket....
Partner awards on BA have gone up drastically now too.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Any experience of travelling on AI's *A partners and attempting to avail *A benefits WITHOUT THE FFP CARD? AI hasn't yet issued my card and I have an upcoming trip on TK next week.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
Any experience of travelling on AI's *A partners and attempting to avail *A benefits WITHOUT THE FFP CARD? AI hasn't yet issued my card and I have an upcoming trip on TK next week.
In FRA they weren't bothering - as their system is online and they scan the codes on the BP or look at the *G notation printed at top/middle of the BP to see if they would let you in to the SEN lounges/give access to a guest.

Not sure how automated TK is at this time - maybe someone else can chime in.

If AI's app has an option to show your card (as UA's does), then it might be worth showing that as well.

Maybe call up FR and find out if they issue you a temporary card of sorts??
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
TK can read the *G Otherwise just print out the AI-FR statement stating gold someplace as proof.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:23 am

AI says they are re-designing the membership kits (again?). And I will receive mine once soon, but no commitment on time-frame.

Upon suggestion of an agent, I emailed AI-FR, asking for a Letter stating the *G benefits and the Tier validity and all info, but again there is no commitment on the time frame!!

My last resort would be a bunch of AI boarding pass showing AI *G and the AwardWallat app on my mobile.

But, its not worth risking the fee of an extra bag, especially on the peice concept.!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
TK can read the *G Otherwise just print out the AI-FR statement stating gold someplace as proof.
Good to know TK can access the *G profiles.
AI-FR statements don't publish Tier Status, but the transactions do specify bonus as 'Gold Tier' Bonus.. and the profile page.

Let's hope the above is sufficient for excess baggage allowance and the IST Lounge access!

Thanks for the prompt reply, Oliver2002 & SuperFlyBoy! ^
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:43 pm

9w. 77 w. F

Hello

Anyone flown the 77W first AUH JFK ?

How ar e the " suites" ? Food ? service ?

working on getting EY A 380 F.

Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
How are the standards of Air Asia these day's in comparison to other airlines in EY and Business class?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: AI, BA, Etihad, Mariott, IHG, TIC
A random question ..unsure if this is the right thread.

I am flying to the US on a business trip for a couple of weeks...would most probably fly Air India.

Am I allowed to take a box of "wheatgrass powder" in my checked in luggage? It may or may not be opened yet ... depends on the answer to my question i.e. if unopened packets/boxes will be allowed, I'll take one.

Thanks,
Monk
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by monkatpeace
A random question ..unsure if this is the right thread.

I am flying to the US on a business trip for a couple of weeks...would most probably fly Air India.

Am I allowed to take a box of "wheatgrass powder" in my checked in luggage? It may or may not be opened yet ... depends on the answer to my question i.e. if unopened packets/boxes will be allowed, I'll take one.

Thanks,
Monk
I have regularly carried powders of various medicinal preparations in checked bags. Usually they are commercially sealed packages. Only once was my bag opened and Ayurvedic powder was questioned. Explained it and was waived thru.

Your powder has to be absolutely dry otherwise the Agri Gogs can pick up the scent and you can land into the soup for bringing in " live " vegetation !
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: AI, BA, Etihad, Mariott, IHG, TIC
Originally Posted by HMPS
I have regularly carried powders of various medicinal preparations in checked bags. Usually they are commercially sealed packages. Only once was my bag opened and Ayurvedic powder was questioned. Explained it and was waived thru.

Your powder has to be absolutely dry otherwise the Agri Gogs can pick up the scent and you can land into the soup for bringing in " live " vegetation !
Got it .. thanks ^ . Will take a sealed bag in that case.

Ch33rs,
Monk
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:05 am

Flew TK to ABJ from BOM (via IST / COO). The agent (Celbi-nas staff) at the BOM-T2 check-in desk for J Class / *A Gold members was the grumpiest I have ever seen. Through checked-in and Lounge invite issued for GVK - Business section. Good flight with nice IFE, ample seating comfort on the B777-300ER and a nice effort on part of Do&Co to match AVML of Indian tastes.

The THY Lounge at IST is one of the best, spread across 2 levels and has more than enough aminities and features to spend time. Shower facility, Mini-Cinema, Gaming Consoles, 9-screen TV station along with plenty of F&B desks and zones spread across the seating area.

The onward connecting flight on the B737-900ER was slightly better than it's bigger sibling, as TK haven't installed individual air vents overhead the seats. Seated at Window, while the sun is blaring outside becomes a bit uncomfortable if the vents aren't focusing on you!

A mini kit with eye shades and ear plugs was distributed to all, on both flights.

Good value for money and the Lounge at IST more than makes up for any flaws if at all.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
Flew TK to ABJ from BOM (via IST / COO). The agent (Celbi-nas staff) at the BOM-T2 check-in desk for J Class / *A Gold members was the grumpiest I have ever seen. Through checked-in and Lounge invite issued for GVK - Business section. Good flight with nice IFE, ample seating comfort on the B777-300ER and a nice effort on part of Do&Co to match AVML of Indian tastes.

The THY Lounge at IST is one of the best, spread across 2 levels and has more than enough aminities and features to spend time. Shower facility, Mini-Cinema, Gaming Consoles, 9-screen TV station along with plenty of F&B desks and zones spread across the seating area.

The onward connecting flight on the B737-900ER was slightly better than it's bigger sibling, as TK haven't installed individual air vents overhead the seats. Seated at Window, while the sun is blaring outside becomes a bit uncomfortable if the vents aren't focusing on you!

A mini kit with eye shades and ear plugs was distributed to all, on both flights.

Good value for money and the Lounge at IST more than makes up for any flaws if at all.
Good to know. Please use photos for what you are describing and place it in the Trip Report Forum. many more will benefit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.