Wiki Posts
Search

India-based Airlines Chai Stall

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by HMPS
Just read a blurb re AI pilots may go on a strike. Just when it seems to be "coming back", getting ready to join Star A.
That would be a great way to welcome AI into Star.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My BOM based relatives will be visiting the US soon and need to get some USD. What is the best/cheapest way to get it? I can only think of getting it at the airport. Need approx. 2K.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Fan
My BOM based relatives will be visiting the US soon and need to get some USD. What is the best/cheapest way to get it? I can only think of getting it at the airport. Need approx. 2K.
Why not just use your CC and have them reimburse you in rupee when you return to India?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Why not just use your CC and have them reimburse you in rupee when you return to India?
Perhaps get a Blue Bird with their names on it ? 2 cards $ 1000 each. Get your funds back in India, mind you Rs. 204000 does not go far anymore !
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
They want to have some physical cash while travelling and I don't need any INR. Plus not enough time to send them a card.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I have had ThomasCook offer me excellent rates in the past. They had a branch near the International Airport, near Marol. Recently, that branch seems to have been taken over by LKP Forex.

Banks usually charge higher rates as their rates are managed by Regional Manager / Head-Office and hence, not as dynamic as a MoneyExchange dealer. The desks at the airport are a complete Rip-off.

I usually compare rates on Google, while negotiating for the rates.
Google: "USD into INR" and add about 3%-5% to the rate.

FYI, they would need to submit copies of PP, Visa & PAN Card and also fill a couple of FERA / FEMA declaration forms.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They can withdraw cash using their Indian bank debit card from any ATM in the US for less than the commission and exchange rate charged by the forex crooks.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
bookmyforex.com offers very good rates in india and usually higher then the local grey market. All legit and they just ask for a passport copy.

if you are not local to Delhi / NCR, they have tieups with banks (on a rate higher than bank's own)

I've used it few times and pointed few others. All Happy customers
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:17 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Forex at the airport are complete rip off's.. better to get something from the City..

@WhizKid - are you in Austin currently..?? did you make it to the meet yesterday ..?? you and I should catch up man..
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10 classic Indianisms
Old May 13, 2014, 10:14 pm

First CitiPM started with 'Double Miles' for all International Spends. Then, HDFC launched 1% FCY mark-up discount and now, Axis has started with 1% cash-back on all International Spends..!
Old May 16, 2014, 7:25 am

Would appreciate any recommendation / suggestion for Hotels / Serviced Appartments in HYD (HiTech City / Madhapur area) & MAA (Chennai City Centre / Mylapore / Vadapalani area).

Majority of reviews I have gone through haven't been very helpful.

Thanks in-advance,
GuyFromBOM.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
9W Award Availability

Called a couple of airlines like SQ etc. Looking for two J awards NRT BOM. She said every 9W flight she checked showed only one available on each flight over a week.

tried for two J BOM EWR. Same story.

Is that typical of 9W ? Do they "replenish" after one is booked ?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:59 am

9W releases only 1J and 1F per flight. Not quite sure if they would change in the future though. Thats been unfortunately standard practice for sometime now.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by HMPS
Called a couple of airlines like SQ etc. Looking for two J awards NRT BOM. She said every 9W flight she checked showed only one available on each flight over a week.

tried for two J BOM EWR. Same story.

Is that typical of 9W ? Do they "replenish" after one is booked ?
del/bom - lhr are the only routes where jet (sometimes) releases 2 business or first seats....on every other route its only 1 business seat....its been this way for the last 4-5 years....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.