Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet airways strict about baggage weight?

Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

I am allowed to carry 28kgs baggage; how strict is jet airways about this? An extra kilo or two ok?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
An extra kilo or two should be ok..have had to pay up only when i've been over the limit by say 15kgs. and upwards..
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Originally Posted by quarryking
An extra kilo or two should be ok..have had to pay up only when i've been over the limit by say 15kgs. and upwards..
Probably an excess of up to 5-7 kgs might be waived, IMO (as opposed to 15). They are stricter on international segments, as compared to domestic, but the 5kg rule probably holds there as well, unless it looks like you're carrying heaps of electronics, etc.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:11 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by aniruddh77
Probably an excess of up to 5-7 kgs might be waived, IMO (as opposed to 15). They are stricter on international segments, as compared to domestic, but the 5kg rule probably holds there as well, unless it looks like you're carrying heaps of electronics, etc.
Agree with you.. they are pretty strict on the international segments. I tend to overdo it of course (hauling back a drum set on one of my trips)..no amount of smiling and sweet talking worked..!!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Gemuse
I am allowed to carry 28kgs baggage; how strict is jet airways about this? An extra kilo or two ok?
a few kilos will be ok....i once had to pay extra for 5kgs & this other time i was about 15kgs overweight but they still let me go....i guess it depends on the person checking you in....but usually they stick to their rule....
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:31 am

Having paid 19,012 Rupees in excess baggage charges on a PNQ-BOM-BHO recently this is what 9W allows typically.

if you dont have any status the check in agent is allowed to waive a maximum of 3kg per pax. Rest is a baggage fee. You might check in 23 kgs and carry on the extra 4 kg. I am only aware of a 20 kg / 30 kg (J/ Plat) baggage allowance on domestic sectors for checked baggage.

If you have status or in business class they allow extra 10 kg on domestic sectors.

http://www.jetairways.com/EN/MY/Plan...Allowance.aspx

Ofcourse if you can sweet talk your way they might not charge anything extra.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Originally Posted by rsh913
And that works more often than one might think...
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Having paid 19,012 Rupees in excess baggage charges on a PNQ-BOM-BHO recently this is what 9W allows typically.

if you dont have any status the check in agent is allowed to waive a maximum of 3kg per pax. Rest is a baggage fee. You might check in 23 kgs and carry on the extra 4 kg. I am only aware of a 20 kg / 30 kg (J/ Plat) baggage allowance on domestic sectors for checked baggage.

If you have status or in business class they allow extra 10 kg on domestic sectors.

you also get some extra luggage allowance with the jet platinum card from citibank....
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by saad
a few kilos will be ok....i once had to pay extra for 5kgs & this other time i was about 15kgs overweight but they still let me go....i guess it depends on the person checking you in....but usually they stick to their rule....
Were you in J?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Were you in J?
always in j....
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
always in j....
Oh, my good ole days.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Oh, my good ole days.
i feel your pain....
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United

Thanks. Anyone know the rule for initernational flights?

On my flight, I had 0.6-1.3kg extra weight (the weight scales gave different answers at the airport). Jet did not charge me anything.

What a nice airline, the extra legroom was very welcome in economy ^^
Of course, the extra 8kg allowance (28kg total) as compared to 20kg on LH, AF was terrific too!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my flight, I had 0.6-1.3kg extra weight (the weight scales gave different answers at the airport). Jet did not charge me anything.

What a nice airline, the extra legroom was very welcome in economy ^^
Of course, the extra 8kg allowance (28kg total) as compared to 20kg on LH, AF was terrific too!
a lot of agents will let you slide by if the luggage is overweight by 5 kgs or less....
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:23 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...

anything less than 3 kg is fine with most airlines..

a lot of agents will let you slide by if the luggage is overweight by 5 kgs or less....
+1.. unless we get into LH /OS on a bad day..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.