Flown AI 101/102 lately?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by saad
that's what a pm is for....
+1
Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:38 pm

LH has such a heavy presence in India that it's practically an Airline Of India. Plus the original comparison was with AI, which, unlike LH, does not have a seat trick.

So here, without further ado, is the LH seat trick. In J, first get the seat as flat as you can using the standard electronic controls. Then casually drape the blanket over the narrower armrest (the one without a drinks table shared with the person next to you). This is because you're not supposed to do what you're going to do next.

Now reach under the armrest and find a lever that you can pull with one finger towards the front of the plane. The top of the armrest will pop off, revealing some knobs (I've only seen 2, but I've heard there may be 4 in some cases).

Each knob is marked with the section of the seat that it controls. The most important one is the knob for the bottom section of the seat (in my experience it is the knob closest to the head of the seat, i.e. the knobs are arranged backwards). Support the seat section with one hand and then pull the knob UP with your other hand. (Try not to be seen doing this.) With the knob pulled up, push the seat section up, then release the knob. You now have a flatter seat. You can adjust the other section(s) the same way.

Of course, you will lose seat length if you push it up so much that you can't get your feet into the well. The trick works best in a bulkhead seat, where there is no well.

Push the armrest cover back into place. Move the blanket so it's now hiding the fact that the foot of your seat is in a nonstandard position.

To get the seat back to a normal position, just use the electronic controls. The seat senses where it is, you haven't misaligned it by adjusting it manually.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:45 pm

Thanks Kalia960 !! much appreciated!

yes, LH is practically and Indian airline...
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:13 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Thanks kalia for sharing the LH seat trick ..

Maybe someone can try it on their next J trip in LH and revert.. is this seat trick for some specific long haul aircrafts like 747,A343 or for J classes in all long haul aircrafts ?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:20 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Upon further introspection and comparison with other flat products, I actually think I still slide downward, even with the trick...

So, it's only an incremental benefit, but maybe we actually "trick" our minds to believe it's better!

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Thanks kalia for sharing the LH seat trick ..
Btw, this was never even posted in the LH forum, and maybe some sort of self-discipline should be exercised here as well, then share via PM...

that's what a pm is for....
Exactly! ^
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
good stuff kalia960....thanks a lot....
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:49 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
good stuff kalia960....thanks a lot....
The *real* question is, is whether saad does/will fly LH!

If you can choose to fly 9w and IT internationally, you *will* notice the difference on LH...
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by kalia960
LH has such a heavy presence in India that it's practically an Airline Of India. Plus the original comparison was with AI, which, unlike LH, does not have a seat trick.

So here, without further ado, is the LH seat trick. In J, first get the seat as flat as you can using the standard electronic controls. Then casually drape the blanket over the narrower armrest (the one without a drinks table shared with the person next to you). This is because you're not supposed to do what you're going to do next.

Now reach under the armrest and find a lever that you can pull with one finger towards the front of the plane. The top of the armrest will pop off, revealing some knobs (I've only seen 2, but I've heard there may be 4 in some cases).

Each knob is marked with the section of the seat that it controls. The most important one is the knob for the bottom section of the seat (in my experience it is the knob closest to the head of the seat, i.e. the knobs are arranged backwards). Support the seat section with one hand and then pull the knob UP with your other hand. (Try not to be seen doing this.) With the knob pulled up, push the seat section up, then release the knob. You now have a flatter seat. You can adjust the other section(s) the same way.

Of course, you will lose seat length if you push it up so much that you can't get your feet into the well. The trick works best in a bulkhead seat, where there is no well.

Push the armrest cover back into place. Move the blanket so it's now hiding the fact that the foot of your seat is in a nonstandard position.

To get the seat back to a normal position, just use the electronic controls. The seat senses where it is, you haven't misaligned it by adjusting it manually.
Thanks kalia960!!! Have been hunting for this for some time. Given I am in 1A or 1K on a LH747 every 2 months, this should definitely help.....
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
Thanks kalia960!!! Have been hunting for this for some time. Given I am in 1A or 1K on a LH747 every 2 months, this should definitely help.....
Alright! Immediate use for the trick!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:36 pm

I have a genuine question (Which will also keep this thread on topic!!):

Just looked at seat maps for 77L AI aircraft that serve BOM-EWR market.
It says 125 degree recline for the economy seats!! Is this for real???
I know these seats have 34 inches pitch in general.....
but, it looks like a premium economy recline.

Anyone traveled Y or know about the seats?

And of course, EWR-BOM-EWR (in Y) seems to be the cheapest on AI for the December season. Which is like prime season for India travel.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:58 pm

ok, somewhat answered my own question.
Here is an amazing TR on the 77L (JFK-DEL) in the Y cabin...this is mindblowing!

And this is also for all the AI haters who post 20 year old stories about AI flights:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/125437/
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
The *real* question is, is whether saad does/will fly LH!

If you can choose to fly 9w and IT internationally, you *will* notice the difference on LH...
i don't even remember the last time i was on a lh flight & probably will not be on one in the foreseeable future....but i know a lot of people who use lh all the time so this info can be useful to them....
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:08 am
kb9
Original Poster

Programs: DL, EK AI
Alright guys, can I have my thread back please?

After 2 consecutive years of deliberating whether to take 9W or AI for my annual trip from DEL-JFK, and going with 9w-- I'm finally going to take AI this year.

I noticed that they switched the 77L to 77W on this route. Although the famous DEL-JFK trip report (from A.net) makes AI seem great, I'm not sure what to expect when flying AI 2 years later.

My research shows that the 77W has lower seat pitch than 77L (in Y):

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air..._777-300ER.php

And row 50 has a tempting 35" pitch. Wondering if that's worth giving up for a row 19 seat (where I'm currently booked) to ensure quick immigration turnaround.

15 hours would make this my longest flight ever. Happy to hear any suggestions for picking the lesser of all evils-- with regards to a good seat.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9
And row 50 has a tempting 35" pitch. Wondering if that's worth giving up for a row 19 seat (where I'm currently booked) to ensure quick immigration turnaround.
go for row 50....immigration has gotten a lot better now....
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:38 am

Has anyone flown this recently for the full BOM-DEL-JFK? Does one disembark at DEL? I'm curious to try the new lounge at BOM, but also to check out the Star Alliance lounges in the international pier at DEL. (Slightly off-topic comments welcome as to whether the T3 AI, LH or SQ lounges differ significantly from the AI lounge in the domestic pier and are thus worth it.) Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.