Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Award Ticket on Partner Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Award Ticket on Partner Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by saad
everytime a new route is launched, jet offers great miles redemption for that route for the next few months....
Now that you mention this I feel KLM have a great web based redemption option called Web awards. It offers various destinations at 50% discount and changes every 3 months.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by lallyr
Now that you mention this I feel KLM have a great web based redemption option called Web awards. It offers various destinations at 50% discount and changes every 3 months.
great....i wasn't aware of this....
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
what I normally do is exaclty the opposite.. I fly on partner airlines and take the miles in Jet.. and then redeem the miles on Jet flights.. they hv the same mileage redemption structure and this is value for me.. specially since they do not charge the fuel surcharge which many other airlines seem to charge.. so a round trip within india costs only abt inr 900 and miles depending on the origin and destination.. this makes sense for me being based in India but travelling abroad for business...
So, for example, you fly say on Cathay Pacific, earn Asia miles for the concluded trip and redeem Asia miles for a 9W award ticket...?? That right...??
Old Mar 31, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by quarryking
So, for example, you fly say on Cathay Pacific, earn Asia miles for the concluded trip and redeem Asia miles for a 9W award ticket...?? That right...??
No. wht i do is say i fly LH or OS os LX .. then I get those miles credited to 9W directly as they have a partnership.. and then redeem those miles within India.. for Eg.. about 3 Eco class round trips between India and Europe is sufficient to get a round trip within India in less than rs 1000 !!!

This ofcourse depends on the class flown in Y and also the origin and destination of award tickets.. like a CCU - DEL ticket in 9W is available for 12k miles + abt rs 470.. u can get 12k miles in less than 2 round trips to Europe in many many Eco classes except the lowest class..
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
How does it work when there is no direct flight on any of the partner airlines between two destinations; Would it require double the number of miles in order to redeem a ticket, if the routing has a stop over/ flight change in it..??
I have probed this a year ago - it appears that Jet wants to charge from point-to-point - not from origin to destination - so based on sectors and connecting airports.

sometimes....it depends on how the partner airline looks at it....
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Not a big fan of 9W, but a friend suggested you can transfer Jet miles to Asia Miles and then use those Asia miles to redeem tickets on CX and other Asia Miles airlines. Has any one tried this? What is the process to transfer miles from 9W to Asia miles like?
Not possible.

You can redeem on CX flights using 9w miles.

You can bank miles flown on 9w metal into AsiaMiles, and you would have to refer to CX's rules for classes of travel that are eligible.

Yes, this works quite well, the few attempts I tried, but never ticketed.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy

Yes, this works quite well, the few attempts I tried, but never ticketed.
This will be very expensive because of the number of miles required.. IMO, if u know that u will be redeeming in 9W sometime later, then it makes much more sense to credit the miles while flying CX into 9W initially itself.. since then the miles reqd would be comparatively cheaper...and also they dont charge for fuel surcharge which I guess they would charge if we use other partner miles to get award tickets on Jet..
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
does 9W add fuel surcharges for partner awards? is the amount equal to what the operating carrier would charge?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:36 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
does 9W add fuel surcharges for partner awards? is the amount equal to what the operating carrier would charge?
I think it is what UA charges, as I recall months ago...don't know the actual situation - maybe saad can advise.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:07 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
WARNING

The most important thing to keep in mind with 9W partner redemptions is that once your flights are confirmed and you approve ticketing (the get back to you after you send them your request)... i.e. once ticket is issued - NO CHANGES, NO CANCELLATIONS NOTHING - YOU ARE FROZEN TO FLY ON THOSE FLIGHTS OR YOU LOSE ALL MILES. This coupled with the crap rates... makes 9W partner redemptions a royal pain.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by avm2806
The most important thing to keep in mind with 9W partner redemptions is that once your flights are confirmed and you approve ticketing (the get back to you after you send them your request)... i.e. once ticket is issued - NO CHANGES, NO CANCELLATIONS NOTHING - YOU ARE FROZEN TO FLY ON THOSE FLIGHTS OR YOU LOSE ALL MILES. This coupled with the crap rates... makes 9W partner redemptions a royal pain.
I totally agree - better to use other program's miles to do this - also I understand LH is not refunding YQ from award tix canceled. (and they charge a lot of YQ/taxes!)
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:33 am

Yes, it does.. I once spoke to their cust service to try and redeem my M&M miles for 9W tickets..the agent was not sure of the taxes and surcharge involved but told me tht it will b taken separately once I given them a request for redemption by filling out a form.. as 9W miles redemption happens online, I realised it was too cumbersome and expensive to redeem partner awards in 9W..
I guess this is with most airlines.. ifu redeem their miles on their flights then its the best option we have.. even though the value of these r also going down steadly worldover nowadays...
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I think it is what UA charges, as I recall months ago...don't know the actual situation - maybe saad can advise.
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Yes, it does.. I once spoke to their cust service to try and redeem my M&M miles for 9W tickets..the agent was not sure of the taxes and surcharge involved but told me tht it will b taken separately once I given them a request for redemption by filling out a form.. as 9W miles redemption happens online, I realised it was too cumbersome and expensive to redeem partner awards in 9W..
I guess this is with most airlines.. ifu redeem their miles on their flights then its the best option we have.. even though the value of these r also going down steadly worldover nowadays...
i don't believe its 9w that adds fuel surcharges on partner awards but the partner airline itself....as abhilife2001 said, 9w is never aware how much the taxes & surcharges would be on a partner redemption ticket....you have to send in your request & then they will get back to you once they have checked with the partner airline....
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:20 pm

i don't believe its 9w that adds fuel surcharges on partner awards but the partner airline itself....as abhilife2001 said, 9w is never aware how much the taxes & surcharges would be on a partner redemption ticket....you have to send in your request & then they will get back to you once they have checked with the partner airline....
Precisely - as we all concur.

UA's taxes from Jet came back a day or two later, resulting in the same amounts chargeable through UA MP on their website...

However, I never ticketed.

Anyway, as I recall, the one bit of information I gleaned from this experience is that to use Jet miles for US domestic travel is very well worth it - it effectively doubles your Jet mile value, as compared to other redemptions on 9w or partners - maybe we can set up a comparison over time - I'm working on it!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:07 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Precisely - as we all concur.

UA's taxes from Jet came back a day or two later, resulting in the same amounts chargeable through UA MP on their website...

However, I never ticketed.

Anyway, as I recall, the one bit of information I gleaned from this experience is that to use Jet miles for US domestic travel is very well worth it - it effectively doubles your Jet mile value, as compared to other redemptions on 9w or partners - maybe we can set up a comparison over time - I'm working on it!
I guess use partners have have no (or very little) YQ surcharge. E.g., AA, CX, EK, NH (relatively), etc.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:39 am

Anyway, as I recall, the one bit of information I gleaned from this experience is that to use Jet miles for US domestic travel is very well worth it - it effectively doubles your Jet mile value, as compared to other redemptions on 9w or partners -
How is this ?? can u give some examples.. I am normally always using my 9W miles for 9W awards and thot there were quite good value..
Would love to know of better ways to use my 9W miles..if u hv some examples in hand..

thanks
Abhi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.