AI in the news

Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
AI in the news

In NYTimes today.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/31/bu...a.html?_r=1&hp
I haven't flown them for a long time, they were not this bad then...
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
This only goes to support my opinion about AI. They lack direction, leadership, funds and accountability. Most importantly, in my view, their service sucks. Their business and first class are good/great products, but with surly service, load factors on high-revenue seats continue to plummet. Net result: a pathetic, loss making airline run by an even more useless and bureaucratic government.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:47 am

even the worst Bollywood movie has a happy ending.

Really....
Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Now that the Congress is firmly in power without the help of the useless Communists, why o why can't they give the airline back to Tata?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:21 pm

It is unconscionable to give over a billion dollars to AI when there is so much incredible poverty and hunger in much of India. The Indian government should be crucified for this decision. Their role in AI needs to be eliminated and control handed back to the private sector. India’s government officials and their families need to start buying their own airline tickets vs using AI as their private jets.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Now that the Congress is firmly in power without the help of the useless Communists, why o why can't they give the airline back to Tata?
One of Tata's directors I spoke to recently when posed this question to him, said that they would never take over AI in this position, as the industry was so unprofitable... (at present, or if at all profitable in the future!)

Edited to Add: I think that the political statement you made is incorrect, as I thought that Congress made a majority without the help of the Left, during the recent elections.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by rsh913
even the worst Bollywood movie has a happy ending.

Really....
what's the worst Bollywood movie ever?

http://www.indiamike.com/india/books...-movie-t53776/

i don't think there is a consensus. what some people love, others hate, and vice versa.

however, some names that seem to pop up more than others: Cash, Om Shanti Om, Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, etc.

but that guy in the article is probably right (about movies).

and maybe about AI, too (welcome to *A?)
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:25 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
I still have my doubts about *A happening for AI, in spite of all commitments. There's still time for AI to screw up a fair bit (and knowing them, they'll do their best to), so am waiting for the official joining announcement in 2010. Though I fear its either going to be a deferral, or a joining announcement for 9W...
Old Nov 1, 2009, 2:17 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by aniruddh77
I still have my doubts about *A happening for AI, in spite of all commitments. There's still time for AI to screw up a fair bit (and knowing them, they'll do their best to), so am waiting for the official joining announcement in 2010. Though I fear its either going to be a deferral, or a joining announcement for 9W...
I'm also hoping for this...

AI is doing just quite that!
Old Nov 1, 2009, 3:33 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I'm also hoping for this...

AI is doing just quite that!
I just want 9W to join an alliance, Period! At this point I'd take either OW or Star!!! Of course they could commit hara kiri and decide on ScaryTeam.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Edited to Add: I think that the political statement you made is incorrect, as I thought that Congress made a majority without the help of the Left, during the recent elections.
That's what I meant.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have travelled on AI several times on domestic India routes (only once on international many years ago) and their service and reliability was fairly decent. Inflight service was better than American carriers and service at the ticket counter was not as good, but not poor either.

However no airline deserves $1 billion in subsidy especially for a developing country such as India, when there are othe pressing needs and there are private carriers such as Jet, Kingfisher, Indigo, Spicejet, etc.. can take AI's place if it where to shut down.

Also in a way this is hindering private air carriers growth and future profitability by subsidizing AI.

AI need not make profits, it can exist as a revenue neutral airline, but losing a billion dollars is something India cannot afford.

Last edited by hyho61; Nov 1, 2009 at 6:00 pm Reason: grammar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.