Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest's Response

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Southwest's Response

Once Independence Air ceases operations on January 5, at 7:00pm, Southwest will allow Customers ticketed for travel on Independence Air the opportunity to fly on a standby basis at no charge for the next 60 days (through March 6, 2006). Standby travel will be allowed only for the exact date and city pairs for which Southwest has scheduled service, unless an alternate airport has been specified. Customers must present Independence Air’s travel document (paper ticket or ticketless travel receipt) at SWA Ticket Counter on day of travel. Any Customers who are holding Independence Air reservations and wish to have a confirmed seat on Southwest Airlines should purchase a ticket on Southwest and seek a refund of their original ticket through Independence Air. Customers should call our toll free Reservations Centers at 1 800 I FLY SWA (800 435-9792) for more information.

Best wishes to all the FlyI employees out there!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:28 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Here is the list of "alternative airports"...

Independence Air Cities and Acceptable Southwest Alternatives

Washington Dulles-IAD (BWI), NY LaGuardia-LGA (ISP), Newark-EWR (ISP or PHL), White Plains-HPN (ISP), Boston-BOS (MHT AND PVD), PBI (FLL AND PBI), Syracuse-SYR (BUF), Rochester-ROC (BUF), Charlotte, NC-CLT (RDU), Chicago O’Hare-ORD (MDW), Greensboro, NC-GSO (RDU)
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:23 pm

If WN can snag a few more customers through their goodwill more power to them!!! People do remember!!!

Also GOOD LUCK and THANKS to all the FlyI employees!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:52 pm
VIB

Originally Posted by fdex727
Once Independence Air ceases operations on January 5, at 7:00pm, Southwest will allow Customers ticketed for travel on Independence Air the opportunity to fly on a standby basis at no charge for the next 60 days (through March 6, 2006). Standby travel will be allowed only for the exact date and city pairs for which Southwest has scheduled service, unless an alternate airport has been specified. Customers must present Independence Air’s travel document (paper ticket or ticketless travel receipt) at SWA Ticket Counter on day of travel. Any Customers who are holding Independence Air reservations and wish to have a confirmed seat on Southwest Airlines should purchase a ticket on Southwest and seek a refund of their original ticket through Independence Air. Customers should call our toll free Reservations Centers at 1 800 I FLY SWA (800 435-9792) for more information.

Best wishes to all the FlyI employees out there!
It's not like Southwest is doing anyone any favors. Under federal law, they have to do this.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:02 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by VIB
It's not like Southwest is doing anyone any favors. Under federal law, they have to do this.
Yes, but it appears that they have chosen to waive the $50 standby fee.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499566
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by VIB
Not at NO COST they don't. The other guys are charging the max. $50 for OWs, and some are trying to make even more by giving confirmed seats for $100. Seems pretty generous to me!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:08 pm

Honestly, i would expect more airlines to waive the fee, its an easy way to pick up customers. All DH customers right now are scrambling, they need to advertise this more.

wonder if jetblue will follow.

Originally Posted by vorlon857
Yes, but it appears that they have chosen to waive the $50 standby fee.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499566
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:45 pm

I was thinking, when i had my glide pass, i was billed $10.20 each way. So, you are down to 39.80. Plus credit card terminal fee is about 3% so your at 38.30. There has to be some time issue as far as explaining the process to the average flyer that didn't even know dh was in ch 11, so say $2-3; everyone understands free.

so we get to about $35 in lost rev. Southwest will make news as the only one to let people fly for free. It will make the TV and print, great way to get the name out. Plus it makes customers real happy.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:37 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
CONTINETAL also honors Independence Tickets.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every airline has issued a press release in the past several days detailing their acceptance of DH tickets on a standby basis (nearly all for $50 one way) and some have announced $100 one-way confirmed seats.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Here is the list of "alternative airports"...

Independence Air Cities and Acceptable Southwest Alternatives

Washington Dulles-IAD (BWI), NY LaGuardia-LGA (ISP), Newark-EWR (ISP or PHL), White Plains-HPN (ISP), Boston-BOS (MHT AND PVD), PBI (FLL AND PBI), Syracuse-SYR (BUF), Rochester-ROC (BUF), Charlotte, NC-CLT (RDU), Chicago O’Hare-ORD (MDW), Greensboro, NC-GSO (RDU)
Unless I'd planned to end up in one of SW's alternate cities to begin with, even the waived $50 fee wouldn't be enough to get me to fly SW.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SealBeach
Unless I'd planned to end up in one of SW's alternate cities to begin with, even the waived $50 fee wouldn't be enough to get me to fly SW.
TVM. It's already too crowded at MDW.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
And it's less curmudgeonly than Delta's:

If you're an Independence Air customer holding a ticket for travel after Thursday evening, federal law gives you certain rights as you attempt to make other travel arrangements. We're committed to providing you with information you'll need to make an informed decision regarding your travel plans and to help you limit your inconvenience as you make new ones.

Your Options
1. You can buy a ticket on Delta:

To ensure your travel plans are not interrupted, you can purchase a new ticket from Delta for confirmed travel.

This way, you'll be able to:

Take advantage of our SimpliFares® and have the security and convenience of a confirmed-space ticket.
Avoid long lines and delays at the ticket counter by using delta.com or kiosks to check in for your flight.

2. You may request standby travel on any U.S. carrier that operates service on the route:
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:43 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Silver (but quickly rising)
Originally Posted by SealBeach
Do you mind me asking why you won't fly SW? Are you just more content paying more from the major airlines? (understandable if business pays for it since the accumulation of FFM and benefits)

Any SW flight I've been on has been nothing more then pleasant, some even more then United or Northwest. SW flight attendants also beat UA or NW FA's hands down. Unless they're the younger Airlink or Express FAs of course... ^
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by VIB
Not for free and I don't think some of the alternate airports are required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.