It is officially over. Goodbye FLYI

Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Jetblue
It is officially over. Goodbye FLYI

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060102/nym015.html?.v=39

It sounds like they will cease on the 5th.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:25 am

Programs: United 1K
They had a tremendous group of employees.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:37 am

Programs: UA *G
Indeed they did.. Sad to see them go.
People who have FLYi points, I guess I have to say -- REDEEM REDEEM REDEEM , go somewhere on Tuesday, come back on Wednesday so they don't go to waste.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
But will the crews show up at all?

Originally Posted by JBLUA320
Indeed they did.. Sad to see them go.
People who have FLYi points, I guess I have to say -- REDEEM REDEEM REDEEM , go somewhere on Tuesday, come back on Wednesday so they don't go to waste.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I will miss this airline and its employees. I am sad it didn't work out.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
From the website --

Today is a sad day for Independence Air.

Today we must announce that we will be ceasing scheduled service operations this Thursday evening, January 5. The financial pressures in the industry have prevailed. We have run out of time.

It has been an amazing 18 months. We set out to challenge the status quo and to re-set your expectations about air travel. We set out to introduce you to lower fares and a new level of service delivered by employees who care. Currently ranked #2 in customer satisfaction among all US airlines, we are proud that we did indeed earn your respect and loyalty. We are proud that we built a brand so universally praised by over 8 million customers. We are proud of the mark we have made.

Best wishes to all the employees.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA3P, DL proletariat, proud Costco Executive member
THANK YOU, FLYi!

Thank you to all at Flyi! We have enjoyed the many great onboard people we've met over the past 18 months of regular flying. They became our regular airline even when more expensive than the majors because of the fantastic service and attitude. Independence WAS different, from the quirky baggage guys coming onboard with the "Your bags are loaded. Have a good flight!" signs to the deadpan male flight attendant hilariously making the inflight announcements, to the choice of snacks, the hot towels, the basket of mints, they were all the majors have ceased to be. And now Independence ceases to be. It's a shame. We will miss you indeed.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Thanks for trying, Flyi. You had spirit and guts, if not a winning business plan. I hope your good people can somehow affect surviving airlines in a positive way.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:59 am

While I only flew FlyI once (as now I'm a price savvy shopper) it was one of the best flights I have had in years. It seems that on my regular route IAD-BOS flying usually close to the last minute I was not able to take advantage of Flyi's advance purchace policy to get the lowest fare. Usually UA while in BK would offer much lower fares for last minute flights. Lets hope UA dosen't start gouging and that JetBlue and AirTran will keep this route price competative!
I wish the FlyI's employees the very best at this difficult time!
Happy New Year to all!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:19 am

I flew them numerous times in past year and a half to JFK, TPA, LAS and other locations. They brought a true breath of fresh air to airline service in an era of rapidly declining expectations...unlike my recent experiences with UA. I actually enjoyed flying again!

I'll miss them. I'll especially miss them when UA starts jacking up fares again out of IAD.

Thanks for the memories......
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:24 am

Programs: Ozark - Tin; Eastern - Lead; Local Hoosegow - Copper;
Talking

You had spirit and guts, if not a winning business plan.
bwahahahaha. ^
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Today is also a sad day for travelers in the Washington metro area. Independence Air provided great competition for United, resulting in lower prices and more options for consumers.

I flew Independence a number of times and always experienced great customer services both on the ground and in the air. I actually think United is a pretty decent airline and I haven't had the horror stories that others have, but I still chose Independence whenever I could because I wanted to support them.

I will miss the attractive A319s and RJs, the new and clean aircraft interiors (last night I flew MIA-IAD on a ratty, stinky old AA 757, far cry from FlyI), and the sometimes irreverent and friendly FAs and GAs.

Yes, yes, business is business and the model was doomed. But that doesn't mean you can't be sorry it failed. I, for one, am going to miss it, and I appreciate the fact that they tried hard. I wish their employees all the best.

I hope JetBlue, which I consider to me something of a soulmate to Independence, will step into some of the Independence routes.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:05 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I have to say I'm impressed with them putting out an announcement in advance. That's much more than any other airline shutdown I've heard of in recent memory, from Braniff to Midway to SouthEast which all shut down abruptly without any notice at all.

It's a nice closing to an airline a number of my coworkers and I enjoyed and will miss.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Say adieu to the low fares to some markets. Good for UA and bad news for certain consumers.

Here's to moving this forum to the Discontinued Programs/Partners section soon.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:06 pm

I wrote a little trip report about an awesome experience I had on Indy Air last summer. I posted it here. I, for one, am really sad to see them go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.