Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PBI-IAD-SYR on Jan 6th

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Take it easy. The reservations agent isn't reading this thread while you're on hold.

This is very true, I am trying to take my 11 year old sister to see our grandparents before they move into a home later this month. She is sitting on the sofa crying. So, its really important that I figure something out.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:49 pm

How about buying a ticket the legitimate way like any other person. Gheez, for all the energy and time you spend trying to scam the airlines, couldn't you put that same energy to good use and actually make something of yourself? The really ironic part is that people like you are the first to complain when something goes wrong and you feel like you aren't getting your "money" worth. It would be poetic justice for you to be left sitting at an airport because the planes are all full and you couldn't get on.

By the way, it's hard to feel sorry for someone like yourself, but I wish your grandparents the best - I'm sure THEY are good, honest people.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
How about buying a ticket the legitimate way like any other person. Gheez, for all the energy and time you spend trying to scam the airlines, couldn't you put that same energy to good use and actually make something of yourself? The really ironic part is that people like you are the first to complain when something goes wrong and you feel like you aren't getting your "money" worth. It would be poetic justice for you to be left sitting at an airport because the planes are all full and you couldn't get on.

By the way, it's hard to feel sorry for someone like yourself, but I wish your grandparents the best - I'm sure THEY are good, honest people.

Let me address a few issues. First, i booked iClub award flights to go to PBI, I earned they in a 100% legit way. I thought i would be able to fly on DH because their notices were dated the 7th. I am paying the $50 free for my return. I did not book any flights with the intention of getting the refund and going standby, i brought it up more as a hypothetical then something I would actually do.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
Let me address a few issues. First, i booked iClub award flights to go to PBI, I earned they in a 100% legit way. I thought i would be able to fly on DH because their notices were dated the 7th. I am paying the $50 free for my return. I did not book any flights with the intention of getting the refund and going standby, i brought it up more as a hypothetical then something I would actually do.

Whether you actually did it or not, you were very clear that you saw absolutely nothing wrong with doing it and thought it was a great idea. It was clear that you were seriously entertaining the idea, despite the very obvious quetionable ethical problems with the idea.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Whether you actually did it or not, you were very clear that you saw absolutely nothing wrong with doing it and thought it was a great idea. It was clear that you were seriously entertaining the idea, despite the very obvious quetionable ethical problems with the idea.
I got a PM from the guy saying that he didn't appreciate all the ... I gave him/he was getting over the 145 thing. I told him that "using" and "abusing" the 145 rule were completely different things.

In summary, you gotta be nuts to try to use 145 to your advantage. Get yourself out of a jam the day or two after (or even within a week) of a shutdown? Sure. TWO MONTHS after a shutdown? What are you nuts?
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I see that he's already denying that he actually did anything. Let's just take that to mean that he's coming to realize that he's screwed. Not that he'll learn anything from it.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EricH
I see that he's already denying that he actually did anything. Let's just take that to mean that he's coming to realize that he's screwed. Not that he'll learn anything from it.
I am not screwed other than that I am out $100 so I can take my little sister to see our aging grandparents. I am an eighteen year-old college student, and this is a lot of money for me, she was crying when I told her I wasn't sure if we could go. I am using 145 in exactly the way it was intended to be used.

Furthermore, as for my talk about a 'deal of a lifetime' let me make something clear, I brought it up as more of a hypothetical, 'can one really do this?' Rather than a 'I am going to go do this.'

A majority of my travel is business related, but I work for a non-profit and do what I can to save them money.

I understand that it is hard to understand the tone of ones voice over text, so I want people to understand that I was not going to 'cheat' anyone or anything.

As for b6 accepting my ticket, they were very friendly about it and they should. They will start to pick up the DH routes later this month and I am sure I will fly them more now. This is their shot to pick up a major market segment.

Also, while all of you have ganged up on me has anyone wrote a letter to their senator or congressperson? I don't make the laws they do, if you feel the 145 isn't fair or should carry additional rules then talk to them.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:01 pm

Programs: VX elevate ,CO Gold,DL GM
Lightbulb

am i missing something about 145
if you have some award dollars and to use them or lose them at the last minute
and taking the chance of not getting a flight on standby for $50

in what way is this dishonest
the dollars were his to use
or do i not see the big picture
thanks
i have never flown flyi
but wonted to
could not get the flights at the times i wonted
and long layovers
4+ hours
and with out the $39-89 price
chs -las
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

This is the very same website that has entire sections dedicated to letting other people know about fair errors such as the japan hotel thing or the dc hotel where it should of been $99 but was only $9. All of those situations were clearly made in error. Previously DH had a problem with there system where people were able to book free travel, no one told them it was 'unethical' to use it.

Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:39 pm

Programs: VX elevate ,CO Gold,DL GM
what is DH
if the offer is there use it
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:50 pm

This is the very same website that has entire sections dedicated to letting other people know about fair errors such as the japan hotel thing or the dc hotel where it should of been $99 but was only $9. All of those situations were clearly made in error. Previously DH had a problem with there system where people were able to book free travel, no one told them it was 'unethical' to use it.
Who said I agree with those practices. I think they are almost as slimy as what you wanted to do, except what you wanted to do was take advantage of a practice clearly meant to help people in a bad situation. It's something like stealing money from the Salvation Army bell ringer at Christmas time as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

You are clearly taking this too far and really if all of you want to sit here and insult me go for it this board will only be here for another few days. However, if all of you can sit here and tell me you didn't even think about doing what I proposed your all lying to yourself. People on this website are always looking for the upper hand and the loophole.

Who said I agree with those practices. I think they are almost as slimy as what you wanted to do, except what you wanted to do was take advantage of a practice clearly meant to help people in a bad situation. It's something like stealing money from the Salvation Army bell ringer at Christmas time as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
You are clearly taking this too far and really if all of you want to sit here and insult me go for it this board will only be here for another few days. However, if all of you can sit here and tell me you didn't even think about doing what I proposed your all lying to yourself. People on this website are always looking for the upper hand and the loophole.
I didn't think about doing what you proposed. I'm not lying to myself. The 145 rule was created to help passengers that are stranded by an airline shutdown. You, by booking travel one day before a shutdown in order to take advantage of the rule, are clearly abusing that rule. If you can live with that, more power to you. But don't project your lack of ethics onto everyone else here.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:23 am

This is very true, I am trying to take my 11 year old sister to see our grandparents before they move into a home later this month. She is sitting on the sofa crying. So, its really important that I figure something out.
How come your parents don't just buy a ticket?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:27 am

Oh no you didn't. We had some lengthly exchanges where you appeared with all sincerety to believe that what you wanted to do was ethical, honest, above board, legal, or whatever other positive spin you wanted to put on it. In fact, you wanted to argue with everybody else about the possibility and legitimacy of what you were trying to do. You even called it the deal of a lifetime. After many posters, including myself, explained to you that it was far from the deal of a lifetime, you gave the impression that you felt we were clueless idiots. If you really were just asking about the possibility of that, you would have simply asked about the feasibility and not argued with us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.