Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last Day to Fly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Last Day to Fly

So is the 7th the last rev. pax day or is it more of a closeout day? Does anyone know what the last day I can fly into SYR is?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:16 pm

They haven't even said they are closing for sure. The 7th is in case they don't have an investor or whatever you want to call 'em. So there is NO date.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Someone at the airline has to have a plan. Lets be realistic, if they dont have a deal now they wont get one that keeps it as an independent airline. So, when is the last day in the air, I think it would be cool to be on the last flight so if any one has any info that would be great.

Originally Posted by ILv2Fly
They haven't even said they are closing for sure. The 7th is in case they don't have an investor or whatever you want to c. So there is NO date.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:46 pm

This is from the washington post. Part of the article is below as well as the link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122801360.html

The airline mailed the letter to comply with labor agreements requiring it to serve notice of intent to furlough its workers. The carrier employs 2,800 people.

Despite the letter, Independence spokesman Rick DeLisi said that the airline's fate was far from sealed and that the carrier still had a "number of ongoing discussions" and was still "exploring" a number of options.

"No definitive decision has been made," he said.

If I hear of a date that is set in stone I'll let you know. But this is what I got for now.

Last edited by ILv2Fly; Dec 31, 2005 at 11:52 pm
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:34 am

Despite the letter, Independence spokesman Rick DeLisi said that the airline's fate was far from sealed and that the carrier still had a "number of ongoing discussions" and was still "exploring" a number of options.

"No definitive decision has been made," he said.
No company in FlyI's position is going to openly say anything negative to drive away revenue. When Eastern was on its last leg, CEO Marty Shugrue did TV ads (with a large group of employees standing in a hangar with an Eastern plane) which ended with him saying, "We're not going anywhere." As I recall, the ad ran in the days even after Eastern had ceased operations because the airtime had already been paid for.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:03 am

Flew Indy from ORD to IAD last night.

The flight was perfect and the employees were as positive as ever.

I give the people on the front lines a lot of credit for their customer service and attitudes!
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by mtcrawford
Flew Indy from ORD to IAD last night.

The flight was perfect and the employees were as positive as ever.

I give the people on the front lines a lot of credit for their customer service and attitudes!
I did too! Was on the 9:30 to ORD, and the 5:20 back. Some of the nicest and most helpful F/As I've ever had on any airline. If they're going out, at least the front line people should go out with their heads held high.

Having said that, I was booked on the 4p back to IAD, which went mx at ORD. I was lucky to be in front of the line and able to switch. Had I been one of the 100 or so who had to stick it out, I might be less happy this morning. It finally got out at 10:11, and arrived at IAD at 12:39a. Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:08 am

I know that they don't wanta say anything negative. All I am saying is this is what they are telling everyone and that includes the employees. More often than not the public finds out at the same time the employees do about info. The employees only hear rumors. I know of several who make rumors up just to see how long it takes to get back to them. So all I am saying is that they haven't given a def. date as of yet. Believe me I wish I knew if there was one. I want Indy around but if their last day is soon yeah we all would like to know. The reality is that they more than likely won't release it until last min.

I wish everyone the best of luck and a happy new year!!!

Last edited by ILv2Fly; Jan 1, 2006 at 9:11 am
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:40 am

The reality is that they more than likely won't release it until last min.
When the flight status boards start to show "See Agent" it'll be definite.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
...assuming there'll still be agents.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
When Southeastern went belly up, the employees found out about it when the office door was locked. I think that when N7 (National) went Tango Uniform this last time around, they pretty much announced the closure in the middle of a business day. No airline that I know of has every given even 24 hours notice of door closure. FlyI is the closest that has ever gotten to that.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SealBeach
When the flight status boards start to show "See Agent" it'll be definite.

The thing is someone at DH has to have a closing plan, i mean are we going to have to wait until they submit their flight paths that involve every plane being taken back to IAD? They may be keeping it private but there is no way they don't have a plan.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I did too! Was on the 9:30 to ORD, and the 5:20 back. Some of the nicest and most helpful F/As I've ever had on any airline. If they're going out, at least the front line people should go out with their heads held high.

Having said that, I was booked on the 4p back to IAD, which went mx at ORD. I was lucky to be in front of the line and able to switch. Had I been one of the 100 or so who had to stick it out, I might be less happy this morning. It finally got out at 10:11, and arrived at IAD at 12:39a. Happy New Year!
We were booked on the 5:20. We got to ORD before 4PM and I immediately went to the counter to see if the 6 of us could move to the earlier flight. The person at the counter told me to "stay where you are". Good advice!
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:40 pm

And you didn't say hello...

Wasn't that a great F/A on the 5:20? I couldn't be that nice and cheerful on a good day. (I was in 5A btw...)
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
The thing is someone at DH has to have a closing plan, i mean are we going to have to wait until they submit their flight paths that involve every plane being taken back to IAD? They may be keeping it private but there is no way they don't have a plan.
It would be completely irresponsible for them not to have a plan, and I'm sure they've got something down on paper somewhere.

I'd expect something to happen like this story about the end of Braniff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.