Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

It is all about sticking it to United

It is all about sticking it to United

Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb It is all about sticking it to United

Each week Tom Moore records a message to DH employees. You can listen to it by calling 866-465-9309. In every message he talks about how great Fly I is doing operationally and he often talks about how badly United is doing in comparison. If this doesnt prove that they started an airline for spite I dont know what does.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:55 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
A chip on the shoulder is a sign of wood above.

UA isn't doing badly and everyone knows DH is on the verge of liquidation. This guy reminds me of Baghdad Bob, his assertions are just as rediculous!

Mocking the Coalition's Attempt To Target Saddam Hussein:
"These villains, and in particular the villain Bush, said they had struck Iraq with 40 cruise missiles to assassinate President Saddam Hussein. Not only are they disappointed, I think they are hysterical."

Attempting to Acknowledge What Was Happening Militarily Beyond Baghdad:
March 22, 2003
"Maybe they will enter Umm Qasr and Basra, but how will they enter Baghdad? It will be a big oven for them. They can penetrate our borders but they cannot reach Baghdad. They will try to pull our army and troops out but we are well aware of their plans and they will fail."

March 23, 2003
"In Umm Qasr, the fighting is fierce and we have inflicted many damages. The stupid enemy, the Americans and British, failed completely. They're not making any penetration."

As Televised Reports of U.S. Forces Approaching the Outskirts of Western Baghdad Are Shown:
"They are not any place. They are on the move everywhere. They are a snake moving in the desert. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion."

After U.S. Forces Seized Baghdad's Airport:
"We butchered the force present at the airport. We have retaken the airport! There are no Americans there!"

After U.S. Troops Penetrated Central Baghdad:
April 5, 2003
"Nobody came here. Those America losers, I think their repeated frequent lies are bringing them down very rapidly.... Baghdad is secure, is safe."

April 5, 2003
"They are not near Baghdad. Don't believe them.... They said they entered with... tanks in the middle of the capital. They claim that they - I tell you, I... that this speech is too far from the reality. It is a part of this sickness of their plan. There is no an... - no any existence to the American troops or for the troops in Baghdad at all."

April 6, 2003
"Whenever we attack, they retreat. When we pound them with missiles and heavy artillery, they retreat even deeper. But when we stopped pounding, they pushed to the airport for propaganda purposes."

April 7, 2003
"The Americans are not there. They're not in Baghdad. There are no troops there. Never. They're not at all."

April 7, 2003
"U.S. forces learned a lesson last night they will never forget. We slaughtered them and will continue to slaughter them."

April 7, 2003
"There is no presence of American infidels in the city of Baghdad."
Old Nov 23, 2005, 7:42 pm

Wasn't that last quote the one with the American tank going by in the background?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by dforgues
Each week Tom Moore records a message to DH employees. You can listen to it by calling 866-465-9309. In every message he talks about how great Fly I is doing operationally and he often talks about how badly United is doing in comparison. If this doesnt prove that they started an airline for spite I dont know what does.
Just a couple of things....First of all why are you giving out employee information on a public website. That's wrong. Second why wouldn't you tout the our operational numbers when the last time the numbers were release we ranked in the top five in all of the operational categories. (Must be doing something right, huh?)
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:18 pm

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by dforgues
I listen to that same hotline every week and I have no idea what you are talking about. I haven't listened to this week's hotline, but most the time it is talking about operational performance and occassionally he mentions how we are out-performing our competitors (which UAL is one, and yes we are out performing UAL in LOTS of areas), but most weeks it is more of an goal setting operational pep-talk than a UAL bash-fest like you describe.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:26 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Comments

First of all, thank you very much for posting the phone#. I think one of the best things about boards like this is to get what you might call "insider information." If I just wanted the glossy information that big companies wanted me to know, why not just shut down the Flyertalk board, and put links to the airlines public web sites.

Again, I cannot underscore enough how this kind of information further empowers customers to understand corporate culture, etc., and it is neat to get information "they" may not want me to know. And by "they" I mean big companies.

That being said, I listened to the recorded message that was available today. I found the gentlemen to be more of a down to earth guy than some other big six airline CEO's that I have also had an opportunity to listen too.

The gentlemen spoke about how FlyI has made a difference in the fare landscape in the northern Virginia area, and other communities that FlyI serves. He mentions how big six airlines match Flyi's fares, and when FlyI leaves a market the big six airlines dramatically raise fares. If you call the line, examples are presented having to do both with NW and UA matching and then dramatically (3X or more) raising walk up fares when FlyI leaves a market.

Personally I would like to thank this gentlemen and FlyI for its impact on my travel which I have to pay for out of my own pocket rather than out of some expense account. I fly in the BOS to WAS market about 30 times a year. There is no doubt absolutely that FlyI has dramatically lowered fares in this market. This summer I purchassed several fares at about $96 all inclusive of tax roundtrip. I really appreciate that FlyI and now JetBlue are entering the BOS to W
AS market.

I am a little ashamed to say that while I am fully cognizant that FlyI is the main driving force in lowering the fares in this makret that I tavel in so often, I have bought nearly all my tickets on UA. The reasons for this are the worldwide mileage plus program, UA's channel 9 which lets you listen to ATC communications, and because with the UA program you can obtain first class upgrades. But I realize if it were not for FlyI I would not be able to travel as much, or I might have had to pay 2X the cost for my 2005 travel, again out of my own pocket and not some easy flowing expense account. Again I am greatful that FlyI is in this market, and I am sorry that I have still bought the tickets on UA for my own personal gain despite UA probably having little to no interest in lowering fares. For anyone who travel less than 5-8 times a year, I would point them to FlyI, as they may not value as much a global frequent flyer program.

Also I am pleased that now JetBlue has a $25 fare in BOS to IAD, which will keep pressure on the others to keep fares down.

Sorry for the long rant , and happy Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:34 am

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Originally Posted by jetsetter
I am a little ashamed to say that while I am fully cognizant that FlyI is the main driving force in lowering the fares in this makret that I tavel in so often, I have bought nearly all my tickets on UA.
I think what pisses me off most about america is there lack of understanding intrest rates.... By getting you united miles now your paying 2x fares later. But people don't focus on the 2x fares later just the miles now. Sigh. I hate america.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by spampurse
yes we are out performing UAL in LOTS of areas
Just about any business could outperform its competition if it spent more on its product than it took in. UA or just about any other airline could boast about near-100% loads if it sold all its seats for $49, and people might be tempted to marvel at that feat. UA or just about any other airline could provide undisputed best-in-class service if it doubled the number of flight attendants on each plane or gate agents at each station.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by DH Employee
Just a couple of things....First of all why are you giving out employee information on a public website.
I'm certain that the people at FlyI or any other airline are quite aware when they record their messages to employees that members of the public, airline junkies, or even executives at competing carriers are dialing in regularly. It's not that big a deal to have the number floating around.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:51 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by DH Employee
Just a couple of things....First of all why are you giving out employee information on a public website. That's wrong. Second why wouldn't you tout the our operational numbers when the last time the numbers were release we ranked in the top five in all of the operational categories. (Must be doing something right, huh?)
Better question, wny not? I agree with SealBeach below. If they really wanted this information to remain propietary, they would post it on the employee section of the website, or put in an authentication system. Have you ever tried calling the UA NRSA number back when ACA was a UA partner? Depending on "who" you are, the system gives you various details. If you're in the UA family, it will give you exact booking numbers (okay, with a max of 25 seats per class) but if you are not, it will only tell you "good, fair, poor" for availability.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:59 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by SealBeach
sold all its seats for $49
All of its seats at $49?

Sorry - but they do have capacity controls on many of their fares --- and most of the really cheap ones are restricted to specific days.... My only issue with them is that it is usually easier to book UA than DH..... My heart is with DH, but my wallet sometimes (not always) talks louder.....
Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by HepperSchepp
Sigh. I hate america.
While everyone is entitled to their opinion (which is one reason why I think the US is great), I simply don't agree. This is what happens in a free market economy and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United is doing very well operationally, coming in at or near the top in on-time arrivals, etc. Don't know where this is all coming from.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by DENPremEx
A chip on the shoulder is a sign of wood above.

UA isn't doing badly and everyone knows DH is on the verge of liquidation. This guy reminds me of Baghdad Bob, his assertions are just as rediculous!

Mocking the Coalition's Attempt To Target Saddam Hussein:
"These villains, and in particular the villain Bush, said they had struck Iraq with 40 cruise missiles to assassinate President Saddam Hussein. Not only are they disappointed, I think they are hysterical."

Attempting to Acknowledge What Was Happening Militarily Beyond Baghdad:
March 22, 2003
"Maybe they will enter Umm Qasr and Basra, but how will they enter Baghdad? It will be a big oven for them. They can penetrate our borders but they cannot reach Baghdad. They will try to pull our army and troops out but we are well aware of their plans and they will fail."

March 23, 2003
"In Umm Qasr, the fighting is fierce and we have inflicted many damages. The stupid enemy, the Americans and British, failed completely. They're not making any penetration."

As Televised Reports of U.S. Forces Approaching the Outskirts of Western Baghdad Are Shown:
"They are not any place. They are on the move everywhere. They are a snake moving in the desert. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion."

After U.S. Forces Seized Baghdad's Airport:
"We butchered the force present at the airport. We have retaken the airport! There are no Americans there!"

After U.S. Troops Penetrated Central Baghdad:
April 5, 2003
"Nobody came here. Those America losers, I think their repeated frequent lies are bringing them down very rapidly.... Baghdad is secure, is safe."

April 5, 2003
"They are not near Baghdad. Don't believe them.... They said they entered with... tanks in the middle of the capital. They claim that they - I tell you, I... that this speech is too far from the reality. It is a part of this sickness of their plan. There is no an... - no any existence to the American troops or for the troops in Baghdad at all."

April 6, 2003
"Whenever we attack, they retreat. When we pound them with missiles and heavy artillery, they retreat even deeper. But when we stopped pounding, they pushed to the airport for propaganda purposes."

April 7, 2003
"The Americans are not there. They're not in Baghdad. There are no troops there. Never. They're not at all."

April 7, 2003
"U.S. forces learned a lesson last night they will never forget. We slaughtered them and will continue to slaughter them."

April 7, 2003
"There is no presence of American infidels in the city of Baghdad."
What does this have to do with Independence Air? Keep your foolish politics to yourself!
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by HepperSchepp
I hate america.
... an equally foolish statement!

I find flying Independence Air up to BDL a refreshing alternative to UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.