Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

It is all about sticking it to United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It is all about sticking it to United

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by jetsetter
I am a little ashamed to say that while I am fully cognizant that FlyI is the main driving force in lowering the fares in this makret that I tavel in so often, I have bought nearly all my tickets on UA. The reasons for this are the worldwide mileage plus program, UA's channel 9 which lets you listen to ATC communications, and because with the UA program you can obtain first class upgrades.
And ultimately, this is what matters most - while Indy captivated the hearts of many DC-area travelers, United won the wallet wars through a superior network, a full-service product, and the formidable Mileage Plus program.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:21 am

Basically UAL is moving up and doing better now. DH is almost out of biz, baghdad bob is like dh. By telling its customers (and staff) everything is doing well and that they are sticking it to ual (aka the USA).

Originally Posted by djlndc
What does this have to do with Independence Air? Keep your foolish politics to yourself!
Old Dec 3, 2005, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
Basically UAL is moving up and doing better now. DH is almost out of biz, baghdad bob is like dh. By telling its customers (and staff) everything is doing well and that they are sticking it to ual (aka the USA).
Well it's a stupid analogy... If you're trying to mock the President about the war or economy, the facts don't justify these bogus comments!
Old Dec 3, 2005, 4:19 pm

'bogus comments!' are just it thats the comparison. 'bogus comments!' from indy and 'bogus comments!' from dh.

Well it's a stupid analogy... If you're trying to mock the President about the war or economy, the facts don't justify these bogus comments!
Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:01 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat

Stupid analogy? Mock the President? Please, lay off the crack pipe for the sake of everyone around you. I was comparing the denial of the fall of Baghdad to the denial of the fall of DH (not stupid at all) and I have no clue why you thought I was mocking the President. Next time, just say no to drugs.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:22 pm

your analogy made sense to me

Originally Posted by DENPremEx
Stupid analogy? Mock the President? Please, lay off the crack pipe for the sake of everyone around you. I was comparing the denial of the fall of Baghdad to the denial of the fall of DH (not stupid at all) and I have no clue why you thought I was mocking the President. Next time, just say no to drugs.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:33 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
HeathrowGuy,
While I was influenced by the frequent flyer program, I figure I am in the minority among the larger population. Haven't the airlines found that price alone drives purchassing decisions for the most part? Whiel it might be commonplace for people on FT to think about building up miles, I don't think the mileage programs are that important to either the average Joe or average business traveler.

As an example of this I attended a focus group put on by the US Shuttle a couple of years ago. I imagine most of the people in the group were nuts and bolts business travelers, and none of them were mileage runners, etc. Anyway a question was asked about what kind of bonus, promotion, incentive, or other perk US could offer to make these "average Joe's" always fly the US Shuttle instead of flip flopping between US and DL, and basically the Average Joe's said nothing. The Average Joe's said they totally based what shuttle they fly on what time they arrived in to the airport, and would go up to the terminal of the next leaving shuttle and had no loyalty.

I would also bet you there are a lot of people with airline status who don't understand they have the status, or really know what it means. These Average Joe business travelers have their assistants book their flights, and no little to nothing about the mechanics of it.

Given this I am just surprised that more people did not go with DH, since most people outside FT don't have this geeky travel/frequent flyer program interest ?

To close out this theme some years ago I remember a CO VP as being quoated as saying that most people are really bad players of the frequent flyer game. I too was a bad player of sorts when I started as I used my miles for cheap shuttle flights when I was 18-19.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:04 am

This could be why... I don't know.

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
December 8, 2005 5:30 p.m.

WASHINGTON -- A bankruptcy judge on Thursday slashed by 60% the amount of money FLYi Inc. can collect from United Airlines' parent company as damages for terminating a relationship with a regional carrier affiliated with FLYi, a United spokeswoman said.

The spokeswoman, Jean Medina, told Dow Jones Newswires the judge reduced the amount of damages to about $500 million and ruled that the amount will be treated as an unsecured claim against the bankruptcy estate of UAL Corp., United's parent. Under UAL's Chapter 11 bankruptcy-reorganization plan, unsecured creditors can expect to recover no more than 8% of their claims.

A spokesman for FLYi, Rick DeLisi, declined to comment Thursday. The damage claim against UAL is considered the biggest financial asset of FLYi, which itself began Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization on Nov. 7.

The claim stemmed from a broken relationship between United Airlines and Atlantic Coast Airlines, which until 2003 was a regional carrier for United. Atlantic Coast contended the breakup cost it $1.3 billion in damages. After the breakup, precipitated by United's bankruptcy filing in December 2002, Atlantic Coast's parent company renamed itself FLYi and launched a standalone airline called Independence Air.

Medina, the UAL spokeswoman, said the damage claim won't be paid as cash but as a stake in UAL once the company emerges from bankruptcy-court protection.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Now that is funny!

Medina, the UAL spokeswoman, said the damage claim won't be paid as cash but as a stake in UAL once the company emerges from bankruptcy-court protection.[/QUOTE]

So soon FLYI will own part of UAL. I guess then that FLYI creditors will be reimbursed with UAL stock for their investments in FLYI. Irony!
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:05 pm

Keep in mind UAL will hold off on paying out damages as long as possible. Most likely they wont pay out until the airline lands its last flight.

Originally Posted by dforgues
Medina, the UAL spokeswoman, said the damage claim won't be paid as cash but as a stake in UAL once the company emerges from bankruptcy-court protection.

So soon FLYI will own part of UAL. I guess then that FLYI creditors will be reimbursed with UAL stock for their investments in FLYI. Irony![/QUOTE]
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:58 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
your analogy made sense to me

Thanks ClimbGuy, seems as though the other poster realized his/her foolish ways and decided to vacate the thread.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 1K, CO PLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG PLAT, Hyatt PLAT
Just called the number - he's a great liar - but at least he's offering extra work over the holidays!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Check the number today! Kerry Skeen is on talking about how the airline was doomed by high fuel prices and competition. What did they expect? They started a high cost low fare operation. Wow. This must be the biggest blunder in airline history!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by kryshakm
While everyone is entitled to their opinion (which is one reason why I think the US is great), I simply don't agree. This is what happens in a free market economy and I wouldn't have it any other way.
kryshakm, has your head been in the sand lately? It would seem your free market buddies in the formerly White (now Red) House are not so sure they like the idea of allowing their own people to have their own opinions... after all, we might all get together and boot the lot of them out (all crooks and liars and thieves and plunderers and worse - Kerry was dead on about that).

I bet you bought into Reaganomics, too, didn't you?

Americans are, for the most part, hopelessly stupid sheeple. It won't end until Bush has destroyed the rest of the world, not just Iraq. I'm with HepperSchlepper all the way.

"These Colors Don't Run ... the world."
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:55 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
That's not an appropriate response and not warranted for the topic at hand. If you want to debate that, go to OMNI.

I found it an interesting irony today that the reports are out about UA's approval of their emergence from bankruptcy just as we're seeing DH go into Ch7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.