Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The End Is Nigh

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
The End Is Nigh

I have been a huge supporter of Independence, but after some negative experiences as of late (unexplicable delays and cancellations, rude employees in GSO, etc.), I think maybe it's time to let go.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by vatraveler
I have been a huge supporter of Independence, but after some negative experiences as of late (unexplicable delays and cancellations, rude employees in GSO, etc.), I think maybe it's time to let go.
I have flown iAir on many, many ocassions--enough to have earned 4 free flights and 75% of the way to a 5th, and with the VERY low fares you can guess how many flights that is.

The one troubling thing with iAir is the seemingly endless state of being disorganized. The gate areas often look like a warzone.

The gate attendants all seem endlessly flustered, and their customer service skills, quite frankly, stink.

As I fly the same flights regularly, I see the same staffing issues week after week, after week. It never changes....

I'd love iAir to last--namely because the flights are cheap--and as an owner of a small business that helps me tremendously. But, they need to show some improvement, and they just haven't.

I've contacted customer service many times, and they just give me lip service--and aren't even good at that, to be honest.

Between the lack of improvement and the fear of them running out of money, and stranding me someplace, I have begun looking to other airlines for bookings in the next few months.

Maybe I'll try them again, but they really need to improve.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 4:37 pm
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
I hope FLYi stays around....

Originally Posted by IADMCO
I have flown iAir on many, many ocassions--enough to have earned 4 free flights and 75% of the way to a 5th, and with the VERY low fares you can guess how many flights that is.

The one troubling thing with iAir is the seemingly endless state of being disorganized. The gate areas often look like a warzone.

The gate attendants all seem endlessly flustered, and their customer service skills, quite frankly, stink.

As I fly the same flights regularly, I see the same staffing issues week after week, after week. It never changes....

I'd love iAir to last--namely because the flights are cheap--and as an owner of a small business that helps me tremendously. But, they need to show some improvement, and they just haven't.

I've contacted customer service many times, and they just give me lip service--and aren't even good at that, to be honest.

Between the lack of improvement and the fear of them running out of money, and stranding me someplace, I have begun looking to other airlines for bookings in the next few months.

Maybe I'll try them again, but they really need to improve.
They have almost single-handedly reduced the prices for flights out of IAD to BOS. Since I'll be commuting to BOS each week for school on my own dime this fall, I really need for these guys to stick it out.

Maybe they'll end up in perpetual CH.11 like UA. But I wish them the best.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:00 pm

I work as a Frontier CSA and I handle transcon DH flights - I will agree that the operation is disorgnized. Besides lack of training for both airlines, combine that with baggage being handled by Swissport at a sister station, locally by Frontier, and Independence baggage service, there are many unhappy bags. Additionally, the DH cabin crews often do a poor job of cleaning their aircraft, and due to contracts and budgets, all Frontier gets to use to clean the DH plane is a little dustbuster type vaccum, hence the return to IAD can be very dirty on the transcon flights. I will say that loads have been very good and the planes in good shape and service generally very good on the flights I have flown. I do hope they survive.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:08 pm

I Used To Work For Flyi In The Flight-ops Department And Can Say I Understand What You Are Saying. Like I Said In My Exit Interview, You Can't Get People To Work In Dulles For "normal" Airline Pay And Expect Them To Be Able To Survive. I Tried It And It Doesnt Work. The Employees That Are There Try Hard, But There Is Only So Much They Can Do. Since They Don't Make 80k Plus A Year Like Everyone Else In The Northern Virginia Area, Flyi Cant Retain Anyone. If They Raise Prices To Pay Employees, Passengers Leave. Honestly, If You Want 1st Class Service, Get A Buisiness Jet, Otherwise Deal With It Or Take The Train Or The Bus. Airlines Have Their Problems, But It Is The Best Form Of Transportation. You Get What You Pay For.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by no_one
I Used To Work For Flyi In The Flight-ops Department And Can Say I Understand What You Are Saying. Like I Said In My Exit Interview, You Can't Get People To Work In Dulles For "normal" Airline Pay And Expect Them To Be Able To Survive. I Tried It And It Doesnt Work. The Employees That Are There Try Hard, But There Is Only So Much They Can Do. Since They Don't Make 80k Plus A Year Like Everyone Else In The Northern Virginia Area, Flyi Cant Retain Anyone. If They Raise Prices To Pay Employees, Passengers Leave. Honestly, If You Want 1st Class Service, Get A Buisiness Jet, Otherwise Deal With It Or Take The Train Or The Bus. Airlines Have Their Problems, But It Is The Best Form Of Transportation. You Get What You Pay For.
Does United pay a lot more than FlyI for Dulles based workers? Is 'normal' airline pay what Delta pays in Atlanta and AA in Dallas?
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:53 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by L Dude 7
Does United pay a lot more than FlyI for Dulles based workers? Is 'normal' airline pay what Delta pays in Atlanta and AA in Dallas?
Dude, I worked for FlyI back in the ACA days, and the pay stunk. Average seniority on the ACA ramp was 1.5 years. The problem with "the regionals" like AWAC, MESA, Comair, ASA, etc, is that the pay is so much lower than the majors, like even UAL. UAL at IAD might have a similar starting pay scale, but there are (were) mechanisms in the contract to pay employees about $20/hr after about 5 years. Contrast ACA's top at $14/hr, which occured at about 14 years. I saw my largest pay increases after a year... After 1 year of service, I was making $10.50/hr, year two would have brought me $10.92. I would have seen dismal increases for the rest of my "career" there. You NEED experienced employees to run a solid operation, unfortunately, you need to pay people to stick around. Those are two undisputable facts of airline life. Oh yeah, and compared to the other regionals, we were paid better than most of them. The problem is that IAD is a very high cost of living area, and our "hub premium" pay included a $.50 pay differential from the outstations. That $1,000/yr extra meant nothing.

I looked at corporate (HQ) jobs way back in the day, and it takes a masters degree to make at a regional what you can make with a BS outside of aviation. For example, most entry level jobs had a salary of $20k-$30k, and a masters degree brought you $40k-$50k.

The undisputable facts of life is that you need to pay people well to keep them, but the airlines can't afford to pay them. The ones that used to pay well are almost all bankrupt. Those that aren't are telling their employees to take a pay cut otherwise they might file BK and then the employees will have to take what they can get.

I'm a consumer now, and I buy tickets. The problem for me is that the more a ticket costs, the less I fly. The sad fact of life is that fuel prices are killing the airlines, and I have a choice in flying. I can't afford to pay more just because fuel prices are going up.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Originally Posted by IADMCO

Glad to see nothing's changed since United booted them...
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
Glad to see nothing's changed since United booted them...
Um, I wouldn't go that far. I've also had some very poor United Express experiences out of IAD.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:43 am

Um, I wouldn't go that far. I've also had some very poor United Express experiences out of IAD.
I have had bad experiences with ALL airlines--and I have had bad experiences with all businesses I have every interacted with.

My point was that iAir does not seem to be improving.

I fly the same routes routinely, using iAir, Delta, and UAL. There are problems that come up everywhere, it is part of air travel.

What I see with iAir is that they don't ever seemt to learn from their mistakes.
The same routes have the same problems week, after week.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:02 am

[QUOTE=IADMCO]--and I have had bad experiences with all businesses I have every interacted with.[QUOTE]

I'm sure you are a nice person, but I have to say that after I read a generalization like this, the only image that popped into my head is that passenger that is never satisfied with anything people can say or do to appease them. This led me to take your thoughts with a grain of salt.

Just a thought for future posts.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:34 pm

Actually, the point I was trying to make is that problematic situations arise regardless of what business you are interacting with, not just airlines--that is, things never go perfectly and things happen that might make a situation less than ideal. It is to be expected.

I am actually quite the opposite of what you envision. I rarely complain when such situations arise, but rather will call customer service later to offer constructive criticism so that they can take it and try to improve. Typically, there are more than enough people complaining at a gate when a situation merits it, so for the most part, I simply observe and see if the company, in this case iAir, responds appropriately, and improves.

As I have observed that the situation is not getting better with iAir, and see similar situations ocurring repeatedly (i.e. insufficient crew for flights, poorly organized boarding processes) it leads me to take my business elsewhere.

Believe, me I am more than satisfied with most business I deal with. At the moment, iAir just is not one of them.

And, if you read my original post, I've given them ample time to change, and I'm not even saying I won't try them out in the future (if there is an opportunity to do so).
[QUOTE=missydc][QUOTE=IADMCO]--and I have had bad experiences with all businesses I have every interacted with.

I'm sure you are a nice person, but I have to say that after I read a generalization like this, the only image that popped into my head is that passenger that is never satisfied with anything people can say or do to appease them. This led me to take your thoughts with a grain of salt.

Just a thought for future posts.

Last edited by IADMCO; Jun 30, 2005 at 2:38 pm
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Maybe my post wasn't clear - DH (at least at IAD and ORD) sucked when it was UX, and it still sucks as FlyI. Disorganized, poor customer service, rarely on time.

AWAC took over a lot of the former DH routes for UX out of IAD, and they suck too.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 6:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have had bad experiences with ALL airlines--and I have had bad experiences with all businesses I have every interacted with.

I don't think I've ever had a bad Starbucks experience.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
I had a bad experience with the Starbucks IN the FlyI IAD terminal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.