Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

College students - Fly unlimited Indy for $249 all summer!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2005, 9:02 am
Original Poster

it's easy with the GLiDE Pass.
The GLiDE Pass gets you all the summer flyin' you can handle on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays among all our destinations East of the Mississippi from May 1-August 31, 2005. All you need to pay each time you fly are the applicable fees and taxes, which can be up to $20.40 per one-way flight--or about the cost of a large pizza.*

You also get big discounts on the other days of the week, and to the West all the time. It's an awesome deal @ $249*. Passes are limited, so sign-up now for an 'on sale' reminder on April 15th!

Remember! The GLiDE Summer Travel Pass is for college students 18-25 only!

don't forget!
GLiDE Passes go on sale on April 15th. Sign up for a reminder and GLiDE all summer.

EMAIL:

*PROGRAM RULES:

1. GLiDE Summer Travel Passes are limited and may sell out before the end of the promotion.
2. While $0 fare seats will be available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, they are limited and may not be available on all flights and heavy demand may cause some Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays to sell out early.
3. GLiDE travel on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays cannot be booked any earlier than 21 days before your departure date; however, travel on other days and travel to the West on all days can be booked at the 20% discount without this restriction.
4. No GLiDE $0 fares will be available on 7.05.05. Passes can only be purchased at FLYi.com.
5. iCLUB Membership is required and all GLiDE Members must book their travel by logging into their iCLUB account and using the GLiDE link found on the iCLUB home page.
6. Travel on the GLiDE Summer Travel Pass may not start until 5.01.05 and must be completed by midnight 8.31.05.
7. Travel may be booked for Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays between all destinations East of the Mississippi for a base fare of $0, not including fees and taxes as described below. Travel for other days of the week to destinations East of the Mississippi may be booked at 20% off any available fare. Travel for all days of the week to the West Coast and Las Vegas may also be booked at 20% off any available fare.
8. All fares (including the $0 fare) do not include segment fees of up to $6.40 per one-way trip, the September 11th Security Fee of up to $5.00 per one-way trip and Passenger Facility Charges of up to $9.00 per one-way trip.
9. Itineraries created as part of the GLiDE program can be changed or cancelled prior to departure for a $25 fee plus any applicable difference in fare. If a GLiDE Member fails to board a flight on two separate occasions without canceling their reservation prior to scheduled departure time, the GLiDE Membership may be forfeited and no unused portion of the pass will be refunded.
10. GLiDE membership is non-refundable and non-transferable.
11. Valid government-issued ID (for proof of age) and valid college ID are required upon check-in for first flight to receive the GLiDE Pass membership card. For all subsequent trips, the membership card must be presented prior to boarding the flight.
12. Fraud, misrepresentation, abuse or violation of applicable GLiDE Pass rules (including age requirements, the use of appropriate college IDs, and failing to cancel reservations prior to flight) may result in legal or other action, including the forfeiture of all GLiDE Pass privileges and reservations booked as part of the GLiDE program. ©2005 Independence Air, Inc.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:29 am

This is quite an offer!
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:22 pm

I'm curious as to what "big discounts to west coast destinations" means. Are they refering to the 20% that we students already get or something even better? Regardless, this is a really good deal for any that can take advantage of it. Now if they'd only do a bit of real advertising, especially here at the DC area schools this could be a real winner. Your growing student following thanks you, FlyI!
Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Very interesting offer, which I think will finally truly differentiate Indy from other airlines.
Hopefully they will be smart enough to advertise in the DC area universities.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:24 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
AirTran has done a program similar to this for a while, and it seems like a great idea to me. You get college students wanting to go for little cash out-of-pocket and have flexible timing to fill up seats that you wouldn't have sold anyway.

http://www.airtran.com/specials/xfares/index.jsp

I think the Independence deal is much better for students, though some of them will be hard-pressed to come up with the $250 to start with. If I could do it and had summer vacations, I'd be jumping on this to go visit friends and cities up and down the east coast for a few months.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:45 am

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by StSebastian
I think the Independence deal is much better for students, though some of them will be hard-pressed to come up with the $250 to start with.
That's what parents are for, right?
Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by spampurse
That's what parents are for, right?
Nope, parents that pay for their kid's travel use the US/DL Shuttle, at least that is my experience. For the rest of us mere mortals that finance our own travel, 250 is a really good deal. That is 2 roundtrip Amtrak tickets from WAS-NYC, a definate savings. And unlike the Airtran offer, you can actually book your seat ahead of time which is good for students with summer jobs and internships.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 1:44 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
What about college students under 18?
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It says valid college IDs will be checked and misrepresentation of IDs is subject to forfeiture of the pass. Any idea how this process works? Do they call the university to verify if you are a student or something?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:29 pm

What a great offer (and idea). I wish they had deals like this when I was in school!
Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:54 pm

This is a great offer. I wonder how many people will sign up for this deal? I'm expecting a lot..wish i was under 25..I would take advantage of this in a second..
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Originally Posted by bursa
What about college students under 18?
Unfortunately the offer dosen't extend that low. It's open to students 18-25...
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yevlesh2
Very interesting offer, which I think will finally truly differentiate Indy from other airlines.
Hopefully they will be smart enough to advertise in the DC area universities.

I actually think it's a smart move in one way, but they did a mis-step IMHO. There are a lot of nontraditional college students today who would like to have benefitted from the offer (as well as a lot of grad students). I think if you look at the demographics of today's college students, there are a lot more who are over 24-25. They really should have opened up the offer to them as well. It should be anyone with a valid college ID and a current schedule, not just limit to the ages they did. I think Air Tran also screws up on that.

In some ways, it's false advertising. It says college students get an air pass, but when you read the fine print, there's an age restriction. But really, if it's meant for college students, it should include any college student (like the 20% off fares seem to).

They missed the boat by establishing some loyalty with older more non-traditional students. Some may be very close to or already entering the workforce. When their business trips included air travel, they might look into Flyi more sincerely had they treated them as they did the college students aged 18-24 (or 25 whatever the maximum age is).

I think it was a big PR no-no for FlyI. They could have gained a lot of support and filled more seats by opening it up to all college students.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:59 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
They did fine. Eurail tickets quit giving the discount the day you turn 26. The benefit is there for the college students that are considered to be the "standard" students, which is a significant part of the college-age crowd. It's way too easy to get a valid college ID, even if you aren't a student at the school, and they need a clear dividing line somewhere. Since most undergrads finish before they turn 25 (unless they do the 10 year plan like a few of my friends) then this covers them.

Expanding this to older persons or having no age limit whatsoever would be asking for abuse. I haven't been a student in several years but still have a college ID (they use it at the library). The Airtran link I included earlier requires you be 18-22, an even tighter age range requirement.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
In some ways, it's false advertising. It says college students get an air pass, but when you read the fine print, there's an age restriction. But really, if it's meant for college students, it should include any college student (like the 20% off fares seem to).

They missed the boat by establishing some loyalty with older more non-traditional students. Some may be very close to or already entering the workforce. When their business trips included air travel, they might look into Flyi more sincerely had they treated them as they did the college students aged 18-24 (or 25 whatever the maximum age is).

I think it was a big PR no-no for FlyI. They could have gained a lot of support and filled more seats by opening it up to all college students.
They need to set boundaries somewhere on what is overall, an amazing promo for those who can take advantage of it. I still think they will gain support for this - no other airlines have done ianything like this if I remember correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.