Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

NYC only -- possible combination deal with AmEx promo through 10/10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

AmEx is running a promotion through their restaurant network (http://thedish.amexnetwork.com/resta...NYC/category/4) that offers a $50 gift card and 20% back to your credit card statement for dines booked on their website through 10/10/2008. This promo is only valid for the 30 restaurants listed in the link, but there are at least 4 idine possibilities there.

1. It's not clear whether the gift card is limited to one time only, although I suspect it is.

2. It sounds like this 20% back could be stacked with idine benefits even outside the promotion window.

3. Any recommendations for someone who has the opportunity for only 1 dinner in town during the promo period?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Don't go to the cheapest resto!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
A question, and a recommendation. First, is there a minimum spend involved? It seems that it might be possible to spend much less than the gift card amount, and in essence be paid for doing the offer.

And a recommendation: not that this would fit in with finding the cheapest place, and it's not part of RN/iDine, but it's certainly very good and worth going to for the experience: The Russian Tea Room. Quite astonishing decor, and an elegantly served and imaginative meal. On our last visit, we ordered several starters rather than main courses, which made it less expensive.

Last edited by salut0; Sep 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by salut0
A question, and a recommendation. First, is there a minimum spend involved? It seems that it might be possible to spend much less than the gift card amount, and in essence be paid for doing the offer.

And a recommendation: not that this would fit in with finding the cheapest place, and it's not part of RN/iDine, but it's certainly very good and worth going to for the experience: The Russian Tea Room. Quite astonishing decor, and an elegantly served and imaginative meal. On our last visit, we ordered several starters rather than main courses, which made it less expensive.
Based on the terms & conditions, there is no minimum spend. However, I won't be able to confirm until I get my AmEx statement, and the promotion will be over by then.

I definitely considered a nice place like The Russian Tea Room, but I ended up going with an idine place (Crave on 42nd). Just couldn't resist getting paid to eat AND earn miles!
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:26 pm

Last time tried double promotion: only received one of them, not two.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:31 pm

Has anyone received the $50 AMEX gift card that was meant to come from this promotion? Nothing here yet...
Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:27 pm

Bump:

Still no sign of the famous $50 gift card we were meant to get.

And now, I get an email announcing that:

As of January 26, 2009, New York Dish will no longer be available. American Express will continue to provide you with exclusive dining offers from restaurants in your city (and many others) at amexnetwork.com/diningoffers.
Sounds like bad news... perhaps I should follow up with them before next week to make sure I get the gift card I'm owed.

I would've thought the terrible economic climate makes such discounts more attractive not less successful... but perhaps theses places are too expensive to start with to be much of a draw. We haven't been to one since the $50 offer ourselves.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:11 pm

The saga of the $50 gift card continues. Many phone calls, often getting a recorded message even when I call within their business hours, and when I last spoke to an agent she promised to call back within 2 hours. Needless to say, she did not.

THe last I heard, they were deciding whether to send us the $50 gift cards or to credit $50 to our Amex accounts.

I'll be looking forward to either one, but this dilly-dallying is just wrong.

Their stalling tactics suggest that they really want to evade their obligation to give us the $50 gift card. I'm not about to let them do so.

Anyone else had any luck?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:37 am

Update. I had another frustrating conversation, during which they then wanted a faxed CC statement to prove that I'd actually dined. They don't need this because their system wouldn't have credited the 20% discount unless I had dined, and they've closed their own website so it's their fault if they can't see the information on their screen.

I did convince them they didn't need this information, by giving them the reference numbers for the dine and the 20% credit from my statement.

Now they say they'll credit me $50 on my next statement.

I'm waiting for a confirmation number for this process by email -- I'll believe it when I see it.

I had been really enthusiastic about this program before this happened -- but now, I'm about ready to scream. I will not be recommending Dish to anyone, but it's closed anyway so they probably don't care.

I'm just sorry for the people who answer their phones, and are probably told by their managers to make the customers run around in circles so that they get tired of pursuing the refund they are owed by Amex Dish. Poor employees -- but when I can't speak to a manager, there's no-one else to whom I can express my frustration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.