NW -> DL VIP Speculation, anybody ?

Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
NW -> DL VIP Speculation, anybody ?

Guess it's time to explore the unintentional consequences theories

Will RN offer a merge/transfer of NWA-VIP status over to the DL-side .. or just make y'all start over from square-1 ??

Already seeing some of my regular spots aren't on the DL 'basic' list.
/.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaveatEmpty
Guess it's time to explore the unintentional consequences theories

Will RN offer a merge/transfer of NWA-VIP status over to the DL-side .. or just make y'all start over from square-1 ??

Already seeing some of my regular spots aren't on the DL 'basic' list.
/.
If you haven't started yet, you might want to sign up for DL now. Unlike NW, DL actually has (up to now) had some really nice bonuses several times a year. NW has had none that I can recall on the dining side for a long time (however, it has had some multi-partner promos on the NW side where you could use dining).

If Delta runs more bonuses this year and Northwest doesn't (before the FFPs merge), then you could end up with more net miles after the merge by dining with Delta through any bonus periods than with NW.

As of last spring I didn't have any miles with Delta. Then I read (on FT) about a 4k Delta SkyMiles signup bonus for Starwood members. I was neither, but I signed up for Starwood, then immediately signed up for Delta. Then I got a 5k DL bonus for signing up for their Amex with first year fee waived (yet used it for nothing but home improvement stores and the dining program dines). Then there were some 1-day car rentals that netted 1000 bonus DL miles each, while they would have netted 50 elsehwere. Then there was a dining promo called Coast to Coast that netted me 5k bonus miles. And so on...

And that's missing the 25k bonus miles I couldn't easily earned with the DL dining program some months before I joined DL.

All this during a time when there were no NW bonuses in these areas that it made sense for me to pursue. (Last time I earned any bonus miles with NW was a year ago with Mystery Miles on hotels. I do have to explain that neither NW nor DL are my primary program. Both are ones I only add to when the bonuses are better than elsewhere.)

As results of this (and some other bonus-spurred activity in other areas) I have about 35k miles with Delta that will now merge with my 140k-ish NW miles (if the merge was today). And based on the recent pattern, if I get to over 200k combined by the time they merge, it'll all be due to DL, not NW, bonuses.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:43 pm

Look back at America West ---> US Airways

I had Idine accounts with both America West and US Airways before the merger. After the merger my idine accounts are still seperate, but both feed into the same merged Frequent Flyer account.

The new US Airways (several months after the merger) took care of merging the actual FF account. Idine kept their accounts serpeate but both feeding into the new (same) FF account.

I would have to assume the Northwest / Delta merger would be similiar, so there is no need to worry about VIP status.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Thanks for the history tidbits, ColoradoWizard ~ way before my time (in iDine years )

So... RN is still carrying/operating the old AW accounts?

Do you run into the listed-location issue? (ie, any given location doesn't always appear in *every* possible program)

> sdsearch: Congratulations. Good for you. You get DL status for eating?
/.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:17 pm

AW Account

Thanks for the history tidbits, ColoradoWizard ~ way before my time (in iDine years )

So... RN is still carrying/operating the old AW accounts?

Do you run into the listed-location issue? (ie, any given location doesn't always appear in *every* possible program)

> sdsearch: Congratulations. Good for you. You get DL status for eating?
/.
The old AW accounts are listed under US Airways, and are now considered US Airways accountsm with same AW user name, password, status, CC, and history.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You get DL status for eating?
Although Delta has a habit of giving away status-qualifying miles from some partner promos (which few other airlines do), and I did get a few thousand MQMs from Delta from one or two promos (mostly car rentals), I'm not aware of them giving MQMs for dining ever.

To me (since I never got close to an MQM threshold) these were "just plain miles". (Now envisioned to be eventually consolidated with my NW "just plain miles". )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.