Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

Interesting Observation on 20 miles/$ joints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium

Was looking at one and clicked on the "show map" link and the URL was:

h t t p://mpdining.rewardsnetwork.com/diningsearchdetails.jsp?_DARGS=/WEB-INF/fragments/DistressedMerchantListFragment.jsp.25_A&_DAV=dinin gdeals&show=fav&merchantId=53201#mapsdirections

I think we all know the 20 miles/$ joints are desperate for biz, but I am not sure if I were the restaurant owner I would like being called a "Distressed Merchant".
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
He'll be a distressed merchant if he keeps selling joints and giving out 20 miles per dollar spent for them... Oh, I see what you mean... When s/he reads that, there may well be a distressed merchant!
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:52 pm
SWG

Ha! I wonder if there is a way to find all of the "distressed merchants"
After getting burned by one cheapo restaurant owner who claimed that "the credit card machine is broken today," I sure would likie to avoid them.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had a related problem at restaurant in Sacramento. Service was very prompt. This joint had a $10 minimum posted for credit card transactions; my total was just over $8, but I was willing to put through exactly $10 and let them keep the balance for a tip. However, I never got the chance as the previous prompt service disappeared entirely as soon as I left my card on the table with the bill. I mean bizzare as though I were wearing a flashing biohazard button or something. The staff were going way, way out of their way not to deal with the situation.
Yes, I finally left. I did not run away, but took enough time that someone could have asked me about settling the bill. They did not.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:53 am
SWG

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The staff were going way, way out of their way not to deal with the situation.
That's a good one! If only the distressed merchants were putting this much creativity into their food and service, they might not be so distressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.