Wiki Posts
Search

Ever run across fiddled tabs?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Ever run across fiddled tabs?

I've had establishments that change the bottom line signed for by small amounts, such as $14.40 to $14.39 and such? One place changed the food and drink tabs, rung up separately, each slightly, so that one went from say $9.60 to $9.59 and the other from $12.00 to $12.01. Another joint that recently (suddenly) went bust had done similar stuff; the bartenders there were very good about splitting charges so that a sandwich and two beers was three visits.

These happenings struck me as more a game playing thing by the staff than some penny-pinching way to save transaction costs.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're referring to what happens when you check our account vs what was on your receipt:

The only cases I've run across tabs that were not what I expected down to the penny was either (a) places that fixed my tip math (ie, added the tip I wrote in rather than the total I put down, when adding the tip in resulted in less than the total I had written down), or (b) leaving off the tip entirely.

Having said that, I only eat at RN restaurants, I never order drinks (other than free water) at either the restaurant or a bar on 99% of my dines. (Breakfast dines at an RN restaurant, which are rare for me, I'd order juice which might be separate, but at those kinds of restaurants I've never seen them seperate that from the food bill.)

If you're talking about something you see right away on your receipt, the only cases where I get non-round amounts is when I'm eating with someone else and we ask to split the bill evenly. Often they either throw away or add a penny so that we both get exactly the same credit card bill (even though the total before splitting had an odd number of cents), sometimes one of us gets a credit card bill that's one cent different from the other person.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I notice the difference when I compare the saved credit card receipts to what actually posted at Rewards Network.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by sdsearch
If you're referring to what happens when you check our account vs what was on your receipt:

The only cases I've run across tabs that were not what I expected down to the penny was either (a) places that fixed my tip math (ie, added the tip I wrote in rather than the total I put down, when adding the tip in resulted in less than the total I had written down), or (b) leaving off the tip entirely.

Having said that, I only eat at RN restaurants, I never order drinks (other than free water) at either the restaurant or a bar on 99% of my dines. (Breakfast dines at an RN restaurant, which are rare for me, I'd order juice which might be separate, but at those kinds of restaurants I've never seen them seperate that from the food bill.)

If you're talking about something you see right away on your receipt, the only cases where I get non-round amounts is when I'm eating with someone else and we ask to split the bill evenly. Often they either throw away or add a penny so that we both get exactly the same credit card bill (even though the total before splitting had an odd number of cents), sometimes one of us gets a credit card bill that's one cent different from the other person.
I once needed to spend $25 for a bonus. I ordered a meal to go and the total only came to $24.35. So I added $1 on the tip line to put me over the $25 mark. A few days later when the dine posted, I saw that the tip was removed and I lost out on the bonus that day. I had to dine again for the bonus. I was not happy!

I now just purchase gift cards so that it never happens again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.