Search

General question on dining plans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

General question on dining plans

Hi
I have a dining plan with United Air.

I always get emails from other airlines asking me to sign up my credit cards with their dining plans.

If I did do that, would the credit card folks automatically switch everything over to the new airline?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten miles credited to their account on two or more airlines for the same expenditure, whether it be a dining plan, car rental, hotel stay, etc.

Thank you in advance for any response.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by retiredandhappy
Hi
I have a dining plan with United Air.

I always get emails from other airlines asking me to sign up my credit cards with their dining plans.

If I did do that, would the credit card folks automatically switch everything over to the new airline?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten miles credited to their account on two or more airlines for the same expenditure, whether it be a dining plan, car rental, hotel stay, etc.

Thank you in advance for any response.
I believe the idine plan is all one company. Your credit card can only be associated with one airline/hotel/etc to earn with. If you try to put in the credit card number it will tell you it is already associated with anther plan.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
No, you can not double dip for dining miles. If only. If you sign up a CC that was previously in another dining plan, the new sign up takes precedence. I have signed all my credit cards into different dining plans. This is a great way to keep accounts active in those programs that are going stale.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
I believe the idine plan is all one company. Your credit card can only be associated with one airline/hotel/etc to earn with. If you try to put in the credit card number it will tell you it is already associated with anther plan.
IME it will simply un-register that card from the previous program (I always get an email notification of this).
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
IME it will simply un-register that card from the previous program (I always get an email notification of this).
I don't think that's the case as it would create a dangerous precedent of un-regestering a primary cardholder of this card without his/her consent in favor of the authorized user (as the dining program has no ways to find out who is the primary cardholder and who is the authorized user). A couple of times I've tried using the same card registered in the other program it simply indicated the card was not eligible.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP
If you have multiple cards, you can assign a card to each program. I have been able get the sign up bonus (1000-1500 miles) on each one, even though they are all run by the same company. (If you don't have multiple cards, keep looking around this forum.)
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LongviewTX:20476715
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
I don't think that's the case as it would create a dangerous precedent of un-regestering a primary cardholder of this card without his/her consent in favor of the authorized user (as the dining program has no ways to find out who is the primary cardholder and who is the authorized user). A couple of times I've tried using the same card registered in the other program it simply indicated the card was not eligible.
I can confirm that the automatic un-registration is definitely what happens. Primary vs. additional cardholder doesn't matter as idine sees them as two separate cards. My wife and I share cc accounts, and we both have our cards registered to our respective mileage accounts. Whose account gets the miles depends on whose card gets swiped at the restaurant.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
As others have said, it will unregister the card from the program it's in and register it to the new program. I don't know if it matters if both accounts are in the same name or not as to if it unregisters it or just gives a the card is already registered error message. I believe the only time that will not happen is if the card you are registering is the only card left on a program, then it will not move it (nor will it let you register it to the new program). I don't think, but may be wrong, it won't let you remove all the cards from a program by transferring them out.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
I can confirm that the automatic un-registration is definitely what happens. Primary vs. additional cardholder doesn't matter as idine sees them as two separate cards. My wife and I share cc accounts, and we both have our cards registered to our respective mileage accounts. Whose account gets the miles depends on whose card gets swiped at the restaurant.
Just so I understand, if your wife has her CSP registered with United's dining program and you're an authorized user of that card, you can register your CSP with American Airlines? Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
Just so I understand, if your wife has her CSP registered with United's dining program and you're an authorized user of that card, you can register your CSP with American Airlines? Thanks!
I can't speak specifically to CSP/UA/AA, but back when DL was on iDine (I think they switched to RewardsNetwork this summer), I was the primary on our Amex Plat and she was an AU.

My primary card was registered to my DL account, and her AU card was registered to her DL account. Charges on the primary card credited miles to my account, charges on the AU card credited miles to her account.

When I tried to additionally register my primary card to ThanksAgain for airport parking, it booted it out of the DL Dining program automatically. When I went to re-register my primary card to the DL program, it booted it out of the ThanksAgain program.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It probably depends on whether you have a different account number than she does on your card. RN only lets a particular 16-digit account number be used in one dining account at a time. So if you have different account number than she does, you can use each in a different program. If you have the same 16-digit account number that she does (just a different name on the card), you can't use each in a different program, because RN goes by account number, not name (it doesn't ask about the name on the card, only the 16-digit account number).

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 10, 2013 at 11:43 am Reason: grammar
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It probably depends on whether you have a different account number than she does on your card. RN only lets a particular 16-digit account number be used in one dining account at a time. So if you have different account number than she does, you can yours in a different program. If you have the same 16-digit account number that she does (just a different name on the card), you can't use in a different program, because RN goes by account number, not name (it doesn't ask about the name on the card, only the 16-digit account number).
You're right. Every card that my wife and I hold, where one of us is primary and adds the other as an AU, the AU gets a card with a different number (even if only by one digit).
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It probably depends on whether you have a different account number than she does on your card. RN only lets a particular 16-digit account number be used in one dining account at a time. So if you have different account number than she does, you can use each in a different program. If you have the same 16-digit account number that she does (just a different name on the card), you can't use each in a different program, because RN goes by account number, not name (it doesn't ask about the name on the card, only the 16-digit account number).
That makes sense to me, but I wanted to be sure. I'll have to verify that we have the same CC numbers.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
When I tried to additionally register my primary card to ThanksAgain for airport parking, it booted it out of the DL Dining program automatically. When I went to re-register my primary card to the DL program, it booted it out of the ThanksAgain program.
Thank you for this tidbit! I was thinking about adding all of my cards to ThanksAgain, but now I'll be more strategic in choosing a card (if I do so at all). The TA program seems to be less beneficial since I use off-airport parking, and do very little in the way of shopping at the airport.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for this tidbit! I was thinking about adding all of my cards to ThanksAgain, but now I'll be more strategic in choosing a card (if I do so at all). The TA program seems to be less beneficial since I use off-airport parking, and do very little in the way of shopping at the airport.
Yeah, I made the decision to just not do TA. It'd be great to double dip, but for me we're talking maybe $200-$300/month, which isn't close to what I spend on dining between personal and work.

Depending on the card, I'll still get Amex MR or Delta SM for the spend, and anything else isn't worth trying to remember what to use where.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.