Wiki Posts
Search

Third time's the charm ... NOT!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Third time's the charm ... NOT!

I've tried to get over this, but wanted to rant/vent where I knew the empathy would flow freely.

I was visiting my folks in Florida recently, where we dined at an RN joint with the bill coming to just over $50. I had planned on using my AA Visa card for 10x points, but at the last minute I decided to try my DL Amex for 500 DL points (plus 5x earned) instead. Yup ... they take AMEX for purchases, but I'd neglected to confirm before leaving home that they give miles for those transactions.

This has happened twice before, though for smaller amounts. The first time I called and the RN rep was kind enough to give me one-time courtesy miles; the second time, I knew they hadn't been doing so, but thought perhaps they didn't used to take AMEX at all, but now that they (presumably) did, miles were okay, too? Wrong! (Only $10 so I lived with the 50 mile "loss")

From now on I will not use AMEX at RN joints unless I've either gotten miles from there in the past with the card, or have recently verified that listing detail!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sorry you were thrice bitten. It's important to verify your preferred restaurants accept AMEX AND give miles or points with RN before you use an AMEX card; some restaurants choose not to give miles or points because they pay higher credit card processing fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.