Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how to search by distance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Question how to search by distance

The AA RewardsNetwork website (and probably others, but I haven't checked) changed its format very recently (in the last week or so). I used to be able to search by distance from an address, but that doesn't seem to be possible any more. Did that function go away, or am I just missing something?

I found search by distance to be EXTREMELY useful. In an area where there are a large number of RewardsNetwork restaurants, the difference between within 1 mile and within 5 miles can be two screens full of restaurants, and between 5 miles and 10 miles can be four or five screens full.

The sort by distance from a location was VERY VERY helpful in dealing with that.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I, too, like that function and it is still there -- near the top of the screen in the middle. The default 15 miles would be nearly useless for me!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how to SORT by distance???

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I, too, like that function and it is still there -- near the top of the screen in the middle. The default 15 miles would be nearly useless for me!
No, it's not still there.

Ok, the choice of 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 5 miles, or 15 miles is still there, but the ability to sort the results by distance (very necessary with no choices between 1 mile and 5 miles when there's very few restaurants within 1 mile but many pages of them within 5 miles in many major metropolitan areas) is gone. (As is the ability to even see the distance of each location!)

I found the old default of sorting by distance extremely useful, and the new choices hardly of any use at all. I hardly ever need to sort by name, or by rating, or by neighborhood (on a 5-mile search, all the restaurants are likely to be in the same neighborhood!), by favorites (a useless type of search when searching for new places, especially with the current promo for dining in new places), and occasionally but rarely need to sort on price range. But 90% of the time I need to sort by distance, and now I can't do that! Why???????????????????????????

If there's not enough columns, allow to choose which columns to include and which to leave out. (I'd much rather give up the Neighborhood column -- useful for doing a search but pretty useless in my experience in a search around an address -- than distance from the address that I searched.)

What's the point of searching by address if you can't get the distance from that address???
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
I find it very annoying now that you cannot search by distance anymore. The search feature is essentially less useful in Manhattan where there are tons of restaurants packed into such a small geographical area.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I guess I did misunderstand; I had thought the listings still gave distances.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I too face the similar issue. Living in Los Angeles there's just too much info to sort through if it isn't sorted out by distances. If I type in a certain address somewhere in LA, I wanted listed by the closest ones to that address, not in alphabetical order or by any other means.

BTW, non static search distance query would be nice also. Instead of just giving me choices of 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 5 miles, or 15 miles, leave that field also as a varible like "or ____ miles"
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

how to sort by distance

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Sorry - I should have titled the posting "how to sort by distance"

Bad titling on my part.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

> 15 miles

It would also be useful if you could search a distance >15 miles. If you are in the middle of nowhere, the nearest RewardsNetwork restaurant might be a long way off, but finding it might still be useful.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kebosabi
BTW, non static search distance query would be nice also. Instead of just giving me choices of 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 5 miles, or 15 miles, leave that field also as a variable like "or ____ miles"
That would be great. Btw, long ago (I don't remember how long ago it stopped working), you could do that in a roundabout way, because back then the distance searched was part of the URL, so if you figured that out, you could edit the distance in the URL and go that edited URL and it would use the "custom" distance. But now the distance is no longer in the URL (that I can find) so you can't use that trick any more.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, AA Platinum, MGM Gold
I am also very disappointed that they removed the ability to list restaurants by distance; that was the most critical part of the search for me. Let's hope that this was just an oversight and they bring it back quickly!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Jury is out

I just made distance work. Cannot, I am sorry to say, specify how.
Our idine rep needs to address this. If distance search is hard, they will get far less biz.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:45 am

Agreed. One more thing to make searching more difficult...

Living in Los Angeles, sorting by distance was the only way I could filter out excessive restaurants.
RW...bring that feature back!
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Smile seems to be fixed

I did a search today, and it sorted by location! Yay!
They also have added search within 30 miles. Yay!

That was a quick response. Well done, RewardsNetwork!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by adzel
I did a search today, and it sorted by location! Yay!
They also have added search within 30 miles. Yay!

That was a quick response. Well done, RewardsNetwork!
Indeed...thank you RN ^
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:20 am
Company Representative - Rewards Network

Just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback on the site! Because of this forum, we realized how important the search by distance feature was to our members. Please keep your comments on usability coming, and we'll do what we can to make our sites as user friendly and convenient as possible.

Best regards,
Elizabeth, on behalf of Rewards Network

http://facebook.com/RewardsNetwork
http://twitter.com/RewardsNetwork

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.