Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight bag check in

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Overnight bag check in

So, we flew from HAM-MAD-ORD-PHX, with a layover of about 18 hours at MAD. I assumed collection of bags was going to be required at MAD, but when we checked in, the guy gave us the option of checking them all the way through to PHX or collecting them in MAD. It was the end of a long trip, and we had packed one bag to have a change of clothes and stuff in Madrid, but the rest we didn't care about.

So, I asked, "can we check three all the way through and get one in Madrid"?

"Sure, no problem."

Now, I've been pretty rough on IB in this forum and elsewhere, and I had one very bad luggage experience with them, and I silently thought to myself, yeah right, like this is within IB's competence.

I would have never tried this if it were the beginning of a trip, but since we were headed home, delayed luggage would not have been a huge deal. I decided to view it as an experiment. Credit where credit is due: Not a hitch. Worked exactly right. Every item accounted for. I didn't know an 18 hour bag hold overnight was possible. When I saw the bags come off the belt in ORD before customs, I was shocked.

Not only that, but our flights on IB were absolutely lovely. Great service. Everything on time (except ORD didn't have a gate for us, but not IB's fault). Great food. I like their widebody J seats. The whole thing may actually be one of my favorite non LH First Class transatlantic flights ever. If I'd taken better pictures, I might actually do a trip report. If they would keep the cabin at less than 85 degrees, it would have been perfect.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
I didn't know an 18 hour bag hold overnight was possible.
Yes as long as its under 24 hours not usually an issue I do it from time to time when I have 15-23 hours transit in MAD and dont want to carry a case around with me. A real plus for IB. Only a few times due to system issues at DUB have I been unable to do it but on arrival I went up stairs to check in and re checked it again so not the end of the world.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:32 pm

Some will remember that, years ago, it was even possible to check in and drop bags the day before the flight at the Nuevos Ministerios station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.