Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Buy with avios and benefit from another oneworld card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AB topbonus Gold, IB+

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to buy a ticket with avios with my iberia plus card, and later on, change the card to my AB gold so I can benefit from the sapphire status for this trip.

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You would buy Avios from your account. Since you will not earn any miles or points with this ticket, you don't need to add your AB number to the ticket. If you want to use priority check-in or the lounge, you can do so by simply showing your card.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've found that IB+ rewards don't really like to have the FF# changed - in the event you want to make use of your status ahead of time, rather than just showing your card as necessary.

You can also set yourself up as a Beneficiary with Iberia Plus. Same details obviously except for the FF#. So instead of booking for the registered member of IB+, you book as the beneficiary version.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by spanishflyer
Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to buy a ticket with avios with my iberia plus card, and later on, change the card to my AB gold so I can benefit from the sapphire status for this trip.

Thanks
If you really want to update it go to www.finnair.com go to manage booking and put your IB reference and surname in. Go to Update your details then scroll down and under additional information select Air Berlin from the drop down menu then enter your card number click continue and it should save and update. When you check in it should show correct AB status and have Priority on it.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You would buy Avios from your account. Since you will not earn any miles or points with this ticket, you don't need to add your AB number to the ticket. If you want to use priority check-in or the lounge, you can do so by simply showing your card.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I've found that IB+ rewards don't really like to have the FF# changed - in the event you want to make use of your status ahead of time, rather than just showing your card as necessary.

You can also set yourself up as a Beneficiary with Iberia Plus. Same details obviously except for the FF#. So instead of booking for the registered member of IB+, you book as the beneficiary version.
Originally Posted by DELLAS
If you really want to update it go to www.finnair.com go to manage booking and put your IB reference and surname in. Go to Update your details then scroll down and under additional information select Air Berlin from the drop down menu then enter your card number click continue and it should save and update. When you check in it should show correct AB status and have Priority on it.
Thank you so much. I was so impatient to buy the tickets that I ended getting them before reading your replies. I indicated my IB plus and then called customer service to add my AB FF but it was added as second FF and IB FF could not be removed because I bought the ticket with avios (according to them), so I was not getting the benefits. Then I called customer service to remove AB FF and did what @DELLAS said and now I have both FF in the reservation, but AB FF first and I see the benefits like additional baggage.

I am topbonus gold for 2nd year and there is no way to receive the physical card. I have tried everything, sent thousand emails and called them many times for nothing, so that is why I needed FF in the ticket to get the benefits.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Doesn't work with IB+ reward tickets.

Quite possibly doesn't work with any reward tickets, as I've also been unable to change AS rewards on AA to include my BA number for status purposes.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Quite possibly doesn't work with any reward tickets, as I've also been unable to change AS rewards on AA to include my BA number for status purposes.
Hi @craigthemif, it has worked for me actually, but having both FF in the same reservation. As I was saying, I see gold benefits now from my AB FF on my IB+ reward ticket.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi @craigthemif, it has worked for me actually, but having both FF in the same reservation. As I was saying, I see gold benefits now from my AB FF on my IB+ reward ticket.
Good, but my point was that finnair.com cannot replace the original reward ticket FF# with a new one.

Over the phone there are more things that can be done.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:28 pm

Thank you so much. I was so impatient to buy the tickets that I ended getting them before reading your replies. I indicated my IB plus and then called customer service to add my AB FF but it was added as second FF and IB FF could not be removed because I bought the ticket with avios (according to them), so I was not getting the benefits. Then I called customer service to remove AB FF and did what @DELLAS said and now I have both FF in the reservation, but AB FF first and I see the benefits like additional baggage.

I am topbonus gold for 2nd year and there is no way to receive the physical card. I have tried everything, sent thousand emails and called them many times for nothing, so that is why I needed FF in the ticket to get the benefits.
Hi glad you got sorted works for me every time ^
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:33 pm

I have to disagree as I stated above works for me every time I do a IB+ redemption. I got fed up dealing with IB call staff trying to explain and argue that you can do it !

Thank god there is a automated alternative ironically via another OW member website.

IB+ redemption booked again last week and worked as usual for me as my Emerald status is with another OW carrier. Now all showing my benefits.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:34 pm

Finnair doesn't work for me, but RJ always has, in the opposite direction (use BAEC Avios to book AA flights, add my IB+ number to get MCE). Once or twice the BAEC number did not even get added to reservation and I was just able to add my IB+ number on the AA website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.