Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

When a Iberia business class booking becomes Vueling operated, how does it go ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH

I haved booked a flight from the UK to Croatia. It was a Business Class booking on Iberia's website. This will be my first experience with Eurobiz and so far, I'm expecting the middle seat blocked out - nothing more.
The flight is LGW - FCO - SPU, overnight in Rome, 1 Ticket/PNR.

What can I expect ?
Will the flight service standards include food and wine ?
Will there be Lounge access anywhere (I have zero FF Status) ?
Will checked baggage be through-checked at FCO (I'd like it to be so) ?
Will Oneworld FF points be earnt (the Iberia site did allow entry of my FF number) ?

I'm hoping that you are not going to tell me that I would have got more fun out of sitting down and tearing up a couple of $100 dollar bills, than flying Business Class
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by in2it54
I haved booked a flight from the UK to Croatia. It was a Business Class booking on Iberia's website. This will be my first experience with Eurobiz and so far, I'm expecting the middle seat blocked out - nothing more.
The flight is LGW - FCO - SPU, overnight in Rome, 1 Ticket/PNR.

What can I expect ?
Will the flight service standards include food and wine ?
Will there be Lounge access anywhere (I have zero FF Status) ?
Will checked baggage be through-checked at FCO (I'd like it to be so) ?
Will Oneworld FF points be earnt (the Iberia site did allow entry of my FF number) ?

I'm hoping that you are not going to tell me that I would have got more fun out of sitting down and tearing up a couple of $100 dollar bills, than flying Business Class
Basically you just ripped up a couple of $100 bills...

You will most likely be in Excellence class on Vueling. (although the LGW-FCO could be on British Airways) You can read up on the Vueling website, but it is basically front row, middle seat empty and some cold food / drink (sandwiches, beer, etc.). You should have priority boarding that won't be respected unless you elbow your way around the queue.

You should get lounge access and your luggage should be through-checked, except I don't know the rules for overnight luggage check at FCO so you might not.

You won't earn any miles, except Iberia Avios if you inputted those details at the time of booking.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
And on the last point, if LGW-FCO is actually BA then you will earn QF/QR (I presume) miles.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for confirming my fears.

To rub salt into the wound, I see that BA have commenced scheduling a direct LHR - SPU service for the summer season (beginning in May, 3 x weekly). This is also offering the Eurobiz product on a A320.

Oh well, a small blessing - the (pretend) IB product is $100 dollars cheaper ^
Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Vueling Excellence is usually refundable, not sure about the Iberia codeshare version of it...

I say that because Business Class in Europe is almost always a huge disappointment, especially for those used to something else. It's nothing like Qantas Business Class (which I've done on SYD-MEL) or even a North American "First Class".

Given the short flight, most of us only fly Business Class in Europe if:

1. we need the boost for elite status qualification
2. somebody else is paying

Otherwise you'll find it cheaper to pay for a third party lounge at the airport and for emergency exit rows in Economy, and end up with a better experience...
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by in2it54
To rub salt into the wound, I see that BA have commenced scheduling a direct LHR - SPU service for the summer season (beginning in May, 3 x weekly). This is also offering the Eurobiz product on a A320.
They've had that route for a few years now! But yes, only in summer as you say.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
1. we need the boost for elite status qualification
2. somebody else is paying
And 3. connecting passengers from longhaul J/F
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to bug you guys again, but I'm just seeking confirmation that all is well with my booking.

So, the Business class Ticket that I booked :
was seen on Kayak,
which flicked me to eDreams for the booking,
which then booked on IB.com
and the flight is operated by Vueling

This is what is worrying me. I cant actually find a Eticket number for my booking.
Also, a current search reveals that this booking would now be USD $100 more expensive than what I paid, so hoping all is well.

The eDreams Booking Confirmation provides a IB Booking Code (PNR).
The IB Booking Code on the IB website provides the flight details (which are all good) and does provide a link that should email me a copy of the flight details and Ticket - when I use this link, the Site emails me a copy of the Flight Intinerary, which does not include a eTicket number.

The IB website also provides a Vueling Booking Code.
On the Vueling website I can see my booking (my name) and the Excellence seat allocation. I can even Online Checkin for the first LGW - FCO segment, some 4 months in advance of my flight date.

I'm sure all is well, but it just bugs me, that I can't sight/copy a eTicket number from anywhere.

Thanks, E
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it hard to imagine that you would be allowed to check-in without an e-ticket attached.

It occurs to me to try managing your booking on Qantas or Finnair. Sometimes those show more than the basics.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Thankyou, you kicked my brain into gear.
I had forgotten that IB were part of the Oneworld alliance. Probably the earlier advice that I wouldn't receive QRPC FF miles that I had nominated in the booking, caused a ctrl+alt+del in my mind.

I plugged the IB PNR into Amadeus Checkmytrip and bingo, 075 Ticket Stock number was revealed on my booking.

Thanks, E
Old May 23, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

A circus !

Well, I took this flight last week. Some points to share.

In the week prior to this (my) flight, Vueling shifted from LGW North to LGW South Terminal.
The Checkin Agent directed me (wrote on my Boarding Pass) to use the Aspire Lounge, which of course doesn't exist in the Sth Terminal. I didn't know that the Aspire didn't exist at that point. Once through Security/immigration/customs I discovered that there was no Aspire Lounge and was then denied access at No 1 and BA lounges. They claimed that Vueling has no Contract with either lounge in the Sth terminal.
So, I took my 1A boarding pass to a airport cafe and paid for a drink and nibble.

On the LGW - FCO sector chose a free sandwich and a free glass of wine.
Priority boarding was granted.

At FCO, the Vueling contract lounge was in Area D - this is in the EU section with immigration not required to go to D Gates.
For my flight to SPU I had to go to a E Gate, which required clearing Immigration and airport train to the E hub. I swallowed a orange juice and on the lounge attendants advice (of immigration congestion) I headed for the E Gate 1hour and 20mins before my flight, which I made with 15mins to spare.

On the FCO - SPU Sector, I also chose a sandwich and glass of wine.
Priority boarding was granted but that only got me as far as a bus, which then became a zoo to board the plane.

Bags were through-checked at FCO.
Both flights had ontime departures.
Would I ever bother with a Vueling XL booking again ?
Not bloody likely !!

Last edited by in2it54; May 23, 2017 at 10:02 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 4:41 pm

In hindsight, you really should have considered easyJet. They have up to 3 flights a day from LGW to SPU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.