Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Has anyone flown the new A340 premium economy from JFK to MAD yet??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone flown the new A340 premium economy from JFK to MAD yet??

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
One drink per PAX

Well done! Certainly PE for less than Economy is a good deal! Sadly, in my experience, you do not get a pre-dinner drink in PE – just the orange juice or water pre-departure, as you say.

In fact, you get only one chance at a dinner drink. On my flight the food trays and the drinks were served from the same cart and that cart passed only once. In Economy, you get at least two shots at a drink. Since they serve the drinks from one cart and the food from another, you can usually get a small bottle of wine before dinner, and another to go with dinner.

Not the case in PE. Another option is to ask for a second bottle (they are less than 20 ml!) when the first is served. I can do that in Economy and usually get it.

Another option: at MAD the duty free shops past security sell half-bottles (37.5 ml) of decent Rioja and Rueda. Although you can take these on board, you cannot drink them in the air, and I know that no FlyerTalker would attempt that!
Old May 6, 2017, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Well done! Certainly PE for less than Economy is a good deal! Sadly, in my experience, you do not get a pre-dinner drink in PE – just the orange juice or water pre-departure, as you say.

In fact, you get only one chance at a dinner drink. On my flight the food trays and the drinks were served from the same cart and that cart passed only once. In Economy, you get at least two shots at a drink. Since they serve the drinks from one cart and the food from another, you can usually get a small bottle of wine before dinner, and another to go with dinner.

Not the case in PE. Another option is to ask for a second bottle (they are less than 20 ml!) when the first is served. I can do that in Economy and usually get it.

Another option: at MAD the duty free shops past security sell half-bottles (37.5 ml) of decent Rioja and Rueda. Although you can take these on board, you cannot drink them in the air, and I know that no FlyerTalker would attempt that!
Hi spainflyer, thanks for the advice I always feel a little shy of asking for two at once but I'll give it a go, hopefully as I speak reasonable Spanish that'll help me!

As I'm a slightly nervous flyer, particularly in the tropical as there's usually turbulence around, I do generally like a couple of drinks to soothe my nerves! And it's a nice way to pass the time How are Iberia with getting more drinks during the flight? I get they won't be offered proactively, but if I go to the galley and ask nicely will they hand me a beer or wine? Otherwise I may have to consider your last point

Thanks!
Old May 6, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
ˇClaro que sí!

Yes, I think it is possible to get an additional bottle or even two during the flight – after the meal service is finished. Since you have “reasonable Spanish” you won’t need to be reminded, but perhaps another FlyerTalker might benefit at some point in the future:

You appear at the galley when the crew have settled down for the night and are chatting. Instead of a rather direct “Veeno porr fuhvorr?” you might start with:

“Buenas noches.” (Pause here)
“żQué tal?”
“żPodría darme…?” you fill in here:
“Un botellín de vino tinto.”
“Una cerveza” Extra points if you ask for a ther-behtha.

Almost surely you will be rewarded!

And, later in the flight you might even be asked:

“Caballero, żdesee otro vino?

At which point it is up to you to make this tough decision…

LupineChemist, Yllanes or even Gaucho100K may pitch in here with additional suggestions!

ˇBuen viaje!
Old May 6, 2017, 11:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by spainflyer
Yes, I think it is possible to get an additional bottle or even two during the flight – after the meal service is finished. Since you have “reasonable Spanish” you won’t need to be reminded, but perhaps another FlyerTalker might benefit at some point in the future:

You appear at the galley when the crew have settled down for the night and are chatting. Instead of a rather direct “Veeno porr fuhvorr?” you might start with:

“Buenas noches.” (Pause here)
“żQué tal?”
“żPodría darme…?” you fill in here:
“Un botellín de vino tinto.”
“Una cerveza” Extra points if you ask for a ther-behtha.

Almost surely you will be rewarded!

And, later in the flight you might even be asked:

“Caballero, żdesee otro vino?

At which point it is up to you to make this tough decision…

LupineChemist, Yllanes or even Gaucho100K may pitch in here with additional suggestions!

ˇBuen viaje!
Muchas gracias, muy amable! Good to know, and yes, I'm well aware of the importance of the friendly greeting which is at it should be everywhere really. I suspect this is why a lot of non-latins complain about grumpy cabin crew, they just don't know the customs around greetings and it gets everything off on a bad foot.

The extra points may be out of reach, it's always hard to switch from colombian Spanish and stop asking everyone to gift me (me regalas) everything! Sometimes gets a funny look away from here.
Old May 6, 2017, 11:21 am

Right. If on Iberia you ask "żme regalas un vinito?" you may get the answer: "Claro. Es gratis."

Or, as they say in México: "Es un obsequio."
Old May 6, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Say nice things to the stewards and stewardesses.

I love travelling Iberia as the cabin service is so goooood. It always works! Double rations if you say it in Spanish !
Old May 6, 2017, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Hehe, well I'll never say no to double rations. Thanks both, now you've got me looking forward to my flight, it'll be my first time out of economy too, so although I know PE isn't that big a leap, still pretty exciting for me

ˇFeliz noches!
Old May 9, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Well, I didn't fly it, but I saw the PE seats on EC-JFX last week on my way back to my Y seat and they look pretty good.
Old May 13, 2017, 4:10 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I just flew this cabin so some more observations.

Seat: Was modern looking and I appreciated the extra legroom but the seat in front reclined so far it felt cramped again. Great if you are in the seat in front I suppose.

Lighting: I know IB crews are incapable of closing curtains but this cabin is bright even when the curtains are closed. The light from the galley just licks right over the top. Admittedly it's better to have diffused light from behind then to fork out for a J seat and have it right in your face.

This is as dark as it got. This photo is with no cabin lights on apart from the seatbelt signs. All light is leaked from the galley. Deploy eyeshades

This cigar shaped orange light is easily the best feature. Kept me amused for about an hour

I could see the lights turning on and off around the cabin, I asked a FA what they are and she had no idea. My best guess is that you can touch it to open a bottom menu and it has a proximity sensor to indicate where to touch. Proximity sensor or otherwise. They light up all of their own accord, even in empty seats.

Service:What a total shambles. There was zero consistency. It was like 15 years ago when the unionised crews knew they were invincible

• Each time they passed me they forgot something
  • They gave me a Y breakfast then took it back from me and gave me the correct one
  • They forgot to bring coffee cups to our side of the plane but perhaps that was deliberate because they also didn't offer us coffee
  • One guy slept through the breakfast and asked for a tray when he woke up. He ate his yogurt and then opened his hot bagel to find it had been half eaten and stabbed with a plastic spoon. He was not impressed
  • I finally got my coffee, in a J wine glass

IFE: Seems slicker than the J seats, fast and responsive interface. But how many times do I have to watch About a Boy? Im sure it has been on the films menu since October.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
IFE: Seems slicker than the J seats, fast and responsive interface. But how many times do I have to watch About a Boy? Im sure it has been on the films menu since October.
My complaint exactly. Do they EVER change the entertainment options? As Bruce says: "57 Channels and Nothin' On"
Old May 13, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
Upgraded

I used points during the Iberia promotion (25%) for a premium econ from JFK to MAD. I logged in to select a seat and looks like I am now in business. Guess not all the planes have been fitted on time? I would say that was a very generous upgrade.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
I had booked my daughter in premium economy also and she also has been upgraded to business as of yesterday.I hope it sticks but they could always switch the planes again.I snagged her seat 1A.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
My daughter did not get to try the premium economy last week because she ended up getting upgraded for no apparent reason and flying in business.I still do not understand why,as the plane she flow on did have the premium economy seats but I told not to complain Her trip in J was great .On her return she was in regular economy and I was able to get her a window exit row seat so she said the flight was fine.I came back yesterday in business on the MAD MIA flight and all was in order.Service was businesslike but friendly enough and efficient.The food was good.I will certainly by flying Iberia again.A very good use of Avios.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:36 am
Suspended

I did this from BOG - MAD last week and overall was pretty impressed, with the caveat that it was the first time I've ever flown anything other than economy

Service seemed polished and the food was absolutley delicious - definitely better than in economy and actually given that food out of Bog is generally dreadful whoever you fly with, they must have out some effort into that.

I didn't have any problem with space when the seat in front reclined and found the seat very comfortable all round, and the extra recline helps with sleeping of course. Crew were very friendly and were happy to give me two wines with dinner and another when I asked later.

My reservaton would be to advise not sitting in the bulkhead row, I nearly did and was glad I didn't when I saw people frequently crossing over it to get to the toilet. Also it's a little irritating that all the trolleys for J service pass through as the cabin is between the galley and J, that creates quite a lot of traffic and disturbance. And of course teases you with all that lovely whisky and champers...!

Overall I'd say a very pleasant product, and I enjoyed Iberia all round. Just a shame the flight back is in Y!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by nallison
Looking forward to trying this, snagged a seat from BOG-MAD in June in a a promotion yesterday, it was cheaper than economy. The whole flight was only just over $800 return which with PE one way seems very good to me

Out of interest, do you get a pre-dinner drink in PE? I know you get the orange juice pre-departure, but as far as I'm aware in economy on Iberia there is no pre-dinner drink (pretty poor really), I wonder if they do in PE? Since most airlines manage in their economy sections...
Hi all - first post ever. I just flew this class from JFK to MAD on 17 June. Departs out of terminal 7. As far as I am aware a PE ticket gets you access to the BA lounge, but as I am OW Sapphire it didn't matter. The cabin was only about half full. I had the entire middle row to myself.

I can confirm from some other posts that it does not get very dark at all in this cabin - part of the reason for this is that the galley is directly behind it and the light shines in somewhat.

I was not served a pre-dinner drink.

Also a rather strange occurrence with a Y passenger circling the cabin a few times and finally sitting down in an empty seat. At first the attendants did not notice (he was even served dinner in the seat!), until finally as he was about to sleep he was approached and asked to leave. He was not happy. Ha.

Here are a few more pics including the amenity kit which I found to be a nice touch.
Attached Images    

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.