Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Crew unable to complete cabin service MAD-BHX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Flew MAD-BHX last week as part of a bigger trip. Full plane which departed roughly on time. Uneventful boarding and departure. We were in row26 on an A320. IB3634.

Once up, seatbelt sign off, crew in rear galley preparing trolley for service as usual. Then nothing. Look back and crew sitting in rear galley talking with fully prepared trolleys. We had transferred from a tight connection and were keen for some soft drinks and food for the children.

Gave it half an hour and still nothing so I popped back to the galley and asked the crew if there was going to be service soon. Crew still all sitting around fully loaded trolleys. They said they were just about to start. The three of them were very friendly and polite. I went and sat back down again. Still nothing.

I gave it another 20 minutes then went back. Three crew still sitting chatting just the same around their fully loaded trolleys. I asked if I could buy some water and a sandwich. They said they would start service so to go back to seat and wait.

To be fair they did start service immediately. One trolley with one person went right up to the curtain and started from row 5 and another trolley with 2 people started around row 12. (I assume they thought the trolley with 2 people would work faster).

By the time they started serving F&B, we were passing La Rochelle. Progress was painfully slow. By the time they had reached row 20 we were approaching Bristol. Announcement came that we would be starting descent and so they packed up and returned to the galley. It caused a bit of commotion and they actually stopped and served the last 2 rows but nothing for those in between.

I went back and asked why they hadn't completed a service and the answer was that they had run out of time. I pointed out that if they had started earlier they would have finished on time but they didn't seem interested. I didn't take it any further as 1) there was no point and 2) i didn't want to be accused of interfering with the crews preparations to land. I just went to my seat.

We landed as normal. Myself, my family and quite a few of the passengers affected really not happy with the events.

Any idea what happened? Is this normal? Saving stock for the return journey? Tired crew? Were they a person short? Our other three flights on the itinerary were nothing like this.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Please complain to the airline. This is unacceptable unless there was severe turbulence, in which case the seat belt sign would have been illuminated and the pilots probably would have made an announcement that cabin crew were to remain seated or suspend/postpone service.

BTW, is there some labor action/dispute happening at IB or in Spain?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by mastutio
Hi all,

Flew MAD-BHX last week as part of a bigger trip. Full plane which departed roughly on time. Uneventful boarding and departure. We were in row26 on an A320. IB3634.

Once up, seatbelt sign off, crew in rear galley preparing trolley for service as usual. Then nothing. Look back and crew sitting in rear galley talking with fully prepared trolleys. We had transferred from a tight connection and were keen for some soft drinks and food for the children.

Gave it half an hour and still nothing so I popped back to the galley and asked the crew if there was going to be service soon. Crew still all sitting around fully loaded trolleys. They said they were just about to start. The three of them were very friendly and polite. I went and sat back down again. Still nothing.

I gave it another 20 minutes then went back. Three crew still sitting chatting just the same around their fully loaded trolleys. I asked if I could buy some water and a sandwich. They said they would start service so to go back to seat and wait.

To be fair they did start service immediately. One trolley with one person went right up to the curtain and started from row 5 and another trolley with 2 people started around row 12. (I assume they thought the trolley with 2 people would work faster).

By the time they started serving F&B, we were passing La Rochelle. Progress was painfully slow. By the time they had reached row 20 we were approaching Bristol. Announcement came that we would be starting descent and so they packed up and returned to the galley. It caused a bit of commotion and they actually stopped and served the last 2 rows but nothing for those in between.

I went back and asked why they hadn't completed a service and the answer was that they had run out of time. I pointed out that if they had started earlier they would have finished on time but they didn't seem interested. I didn't take it any further as 1) there was no point and 2) i didn't want to be accused of interfering with the crews preparations to land. I just went to my seat.

We landed as normal. Myself, my family and quite a few of the passengers affected really not happy with the events.

Any idea what happened? Is this normal? Saving stock for the return journey? Tired crew? Were they a person short? Our other three flights on the itinerary were nothing like this.
I would have grabbed three sandwiches and three bottles of wine or soda off the damn cart with a wry smile and enjoy them while landing with a sarcastic Gracias(:. The crew failed to serve people then what else do I do but to help myself like those self service food and drinks they setup in the galley on long haul flights. The food and drink is part of my ticket so its not stealing its being self sufficient and proactive. Teaches the crew a lesson to have better time management.

If one were in a good mood perhaps you could say in a famished tone that you are hungry and would like something to eat and something to drink and for the child. Hmm sounds like Iberia only knows how to chat and waste time and then not serve everyone. How unfair to the rest of the plane that did not get serve.

I would write into Iberia.

Last edited by danielonn; Mar 14, 2017 at 9:42 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Just for reference, eventually received a reply, the crux of which was this:

I am sorry that on this occasion we were late in serving your meal, and thank you for your comments, which we will take into account to improve the service we offer.

All Iberia employees should demonstrate a willingness to serve you and offer you solutions in light of any circumstance. Reading your comments, I see that on this occasion we did not act with the due professionalism. I would be grateful if you would see this as an exceptional event. I have passed your comments on to the manager to take the necessary measures to prevent this type of behaviour.

It at least gives the impression that they have listened will feedback to the crew which was all i wanted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.