Search

Few redemption questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, AMEX Canada, BAEC, IB+
Few redemption questions

Hi,
New to the forum but some time lurker. I am currently looking into using my BAEC points for a trip via Iberia and I have had a hard time finding answers to my questions online and even with Iberia Plus themselves, so I thought I might just ask the more knowledgeable people here before venturing again with the Iberia Plus support guys.

A bit of background:
I currently have 157k Avios in BAEC. I currently have a Canadian AMEX Business Platinum via referral that should get me 75k points after I spend $5000 in 3 months (60% there), so it should net me ~81k soon. I have my BAEC account since October and it should have been activated when I transferred my credit card points back in November. I have an Iberia Plus account opened in November and an upcoming AA flight in April which should activate it.

Actual questions:
I plan to take my dad and my brother to Europe, ideally this would be the itinerary.
- SAP - SAL - MAD - FCO on OCT 8.
- CDG - MAD on Oct 20 or 21st (still a bit early to decide)
- MAD - SAL - SAP on Oct 26th.

Now because this includes an Avianca segment, it gets complicated to calculate the points. I checked online and could not really find an answer on how Iberia treats flights that have a partner and themselves (since BAEC does this, I was assuming Iberia does too). A spanish blogger mentioned the partner redemption table would be used even if there is an Iberia segment so this is what I came up with. (this makes it that I need a r/t). This is all in blue class.

So question #1.

SAP - SAL - MAD R/T for 195k Avios for 3 people
MAD - FCO for 22.5k
CDG - MAD for 22.5k
Like this: https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...1-SALSAP0AV574
Total = 240k avios

or can I do open jaw?
SAP - SAL - MAD - FCO
CDG - MAD
MAD - SAL - SAP?

I couldn't find anything about open jaws being accepted with partner redemptions, I don't think it's possible but the partner segment is technically a r/t here.

Question #2.
If open jaw is not possible, I would book MAD - FCO separately like above, but there is an earlier flight departing at 1555h, would there be enough time to make it if in separate PNR? I know Iberia doesn't interline hence why I'm planning the next flight.

Question #3.
Intra european flights in blue class, do they included checked in luggage?

So these are my questions, I have done my research but these are the impasses I reached.

P.S. I am flying down to SAP from Canada essentially to pick them up.
P.S. #2 I am paying the FCO - CDG segment with cash cause I can't make 22.5k for the daily vueling flight and for the ~c$500 that it costs for 3 people, it's not worth it.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Regarding Q3, yes European blue class includes a checked bag. And I think if you are OW Emerald you'll get the extra bag as well.

I have booked open jaws with IB before on Avois, but not with partners included, so not sure what would happen. You can get one ways as well if necessary.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I would do all I can to avoid mixing a partner booking in there. Can you use cash to get to GUA/SAL, PTY, MEX, HAV or even MIA (but US flights are terrible with availability)
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I would do all I can to avoid mixing a partner booking in there. Can you use cash to get to GUA/SAL, PTY, MEX, HAV or even MIA (but US flights are terrible with availability)
+1. Don't mix partners in. Among other things, it makes the whole itinerary 100% non-refundable. It's not worth the aggravation for a short/cheap flight from Honduras to an Iberia destination. I'm not even 100% sure that the local Avianca subsidiaries in Central America can be booked with Avios.

If I recall correctly LifeMiles have really quite cheap rewards for intra-Central America and you can usually buy Lifemiles for 1.5 cents apiece during promos. IIRC from the last time I looked, it wasn't outrageously expensive to take a private transfer from Copan to SAL, so just driving down to SAL or GUA might not be a horrible idea either.

I would personally just book one-ways. SAL-MAD-FCO and a MAD-SAL. For the CDG-MAD, make sure to double-check with paid fares, since Avios + taxes might be a much worse deal than just buying a ticket.

Also, don't wait until April for your IB+ account to be activated. Go to the Spain settings on iberia.com and go to IberiaPluStore and buy a song from Itunes or something. Who knows if IB+ will put one of those Central American destinations on their 25% discount list in March / April and you will miss out by not having activated your IB+ account.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the replies.
Some more background about this that I should have mentioned.
I am based in YUL. My dad and my brother live in SAP. They do not have US Visas so routing through the US is really impossible. I have thought about repositioning but my dad is an old man (86 years old). He is fully mobile and healthy but I feel immigration / customs may give them a hard time if they go on their own. I am already going to SAP essentially to pick them up. Also I do not have status on any airline. I fly but not as frequently to get status.

Full points disclosure.
Aeroplan: 20k + upcoming 10k from credit card + 4.5k from hotel stay on April
BAEC : 157k
FB : 10k (I don't think this one helps at all).
AMEX : 75k after 3 months spend $5000 + 6.25k from said spend. MR can convert to Aeroplan and British Airways 1:1

@BlackberryAddict
Thanks for confirming this, I could not find the answer anywhere online.

@lupinChemist and @Craigthemif
I do hate the idea of using IB to book Avianca which is why I came asking here before venturing with the IB+ people. Back when I checked CDG-MAD, it was about c$200+ per ticket hence why I was looking into buying it with Avios, but right now it's much lower and the FCO - CDG is also lower so the c$500~ I had budgeted would cover both trips. I will look into activating my IB account through iTunes.

I looked into LifeMiles but it costs 17k LM per person and if I straight up buy the miles, it's $1695USD. Cash tickets are around C$1800~ for 3 so I may be able to use AE but I don't like using 90k + c$330. Going the AE route also makes me having to stay a night in SAL because I am not sure if we'll have enough time to go through immigration and check in on the return flight.

Driving to GUA/SAL is not much better, despite their proximity, the trips are usually around 8hrs (lots of mountains in between).

Looks like my current choices are then:
AE SAP - SAL = 90k + C$330
IB SAL - FCO + MAD - SAL = 150k + C$803

OR
I could just book the intra Central America through Iberia and book the rest separately.
SAP - SAL = 33k + tx (I assume the same amount than through AE since there is no surcharge)
IB the rest like above.
It would be 3 PNRs so only the SAP - SAL would be non-refundable.

Does that sound better?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I have been wrecking my head with this for a couple of months already.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:16 pm

I could just book the intra Central America through Iberia and book the rest separately.
SAP - SAL = 33k + tx (I assume the same amount than through AE since there is no surcharge)
IB the rest like above.
It would be 3 PNRs so only the SAP - SAL would be non-refundable.

Does that sound better?
This is a much more reasonable option.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: IB Platino (OW Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (ST Elite Plus), Priority Club Gold, Sol Melia Gold
In order to check how many miles and TPs you'll earn simply try to price your itin on iberia's website and just before entering the payment and name details click on "Find out how many Avios you could get with this purchase". You'll get a pop-up window showing avios and TPs to be earned.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:39 am

Also, another word of advice, if you have to call, stick to the Spanish language help. The English can be very iffy at best, even for an international airline (Welcome to Spain!).
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Also, another word of advice, if you have to call, stick to the Spanish language help. The English can be very iffy at best, even for an international airline (Welcome to Spain!).
Thanks, I was going to go this way in any case. In any case, I will have to call to book the Avianca segment.

Btw, does anyone know if they open more seats on Business? It seems to me they cap them at 2 on this route while NA routes can get 6 award seats (maybe 8?) in Business. I can churn the points to get Business seats but they only release two and looking at closer dates (March-April), I don't see more award availability. I think I know my answer but worth asking anyway. Would calling them and asking for a third business seat make a difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.