Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which lounge in MAD to spend 4 hours

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Which lounge in MAD to spend 4 hours

Need some advice on which lounge to spend about 4 hours in.

Never been to MAD airport. Flying ORD-MAD in business with about 4 hours to kill before my flight to FCO.

Not sure what terminal we will be arriving and what terminal we will be departing. Perhaps someone on this board knows.

Anyway, which is the best lounge that I can take advantage of and where can I find it? Is the food complimentary or for pay?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Your only choice will be the Dalí lounge in T4 main (unless you have priority pass). It's on the upper level in front of the main security checkpoint. It might be easier to go all the way landside and then go through fast track security rather than the standard transfer security.

Food and drink is free.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Your only choice will be the Dalí lounge in T4 main (unless you have priority pass). It's on the upper level in front of the main security checkpoint. It might be easier to go all the way landside and then go through fast track security rather than the standard transfer security.

Food and drink is free.
Thanks Lupine. What exactly is a 'priority pass'?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:05 am

It's a lounge access subscription. If you are asking what it is...I'd bet you don't have it.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:09 am
Original Poster

It's a lounge access subscription. If you are asking what it is...I'd bet you don't have it.
I don't. So only one VIP lounge. How about the Velazquez? I just now looked up lounges in Madrid and this one shows.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:37 am

The Velázquez lounge is in the non-Schengen area of T4S. You will be directed to pass through immigration to enter the Schengen area since your next flight is a Schengen flight which means you won't be able to get there.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

The Velázquez lounge is in the non-Schengen area of T4S. You will be directed to pass through immigration to enter the Schengen area since your next flight is a Schengen flight which means you won't be able to get there.
Got it, makes sense. Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:13 am

There should really be a sticky thread with the title "Which lounge can I use in MAD?" (and another for long-haul seating that doesn't refer to the A330-300 as "new").
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
There should really be a sticky thread with the title "Which lounge can I use in MAD?"
In short order, this thread will become the sticky.

I'm flying IB, (ORD-MAD), in J, with a 6 hour layover, then connecting to an Air Nostrum Schengen flight to TRN.

I've done similar connections in the past, and have always found my way to the Velázquez Lounge. But this thread seems to say that I shouldn't have access or even be able to get there, since my connection is to a Schengen flight.

Lupine, would you be able to clarify lounge access for the different types of connections at MAD, and which lounges in which terminals the connecting passenger has access to?

Thank you!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
In short order, this thread will become the sticky.
Not really, since the issue gets brought up every few days in new threads.

I'm flying IB, (ORD-MAD), in J, with a 6 hour layover, then connecting to an Air Nostrum Schengen flight to TRN.

I've done similar connections in the past, and have always found my way to the Velázquez Lounge. But this thread seems to say that I shouldn't have access or even be able to get there, since my connection is to a Schengen flight.

Lupine, would you be able to clarify lounge access for the different types of connections at MAD, and which lounges in which terminals the connecting passenger has access to?

Thank you!
If you leave from T4, you can go to the IB lounge in T4 (Dalě) or to the AENA lounge in T4 (Plaza Mayor). The former with (or connecting to/from) a J ticket or with elite OW status, the latter by paying or with Priority Pass or similar subscription.

If you leave from T4S, you can go to the IB lounge in T4S (Velázquez) or to the AENA lounge in T4S (Neptuno). The former with (or connecting to/from) a J ticket or with elite OW status, the latter by paying or with Priority Pass or similar subscription.

There really isn't more to the rules.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:59 pm

Thank you Yllanes. This is clear. I'm arriving in 4S, and departing from Terminal 4.

However, I really do prefer the Velázquez to the Dalí. Since my connection time is over 6 hours, would it be possible to go the Velázquez in 4S, spend my layover there, and then just go directly to the gate in Terminal 4 as my Schengen departure time approached? And what kind of time is required for this transfer of terminals?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:05 pm

The problem is that they won't let you into the departure area of T4S without a boarding pass for a flight that leaves from T4S.

As a reference for the time to transfer terminals, in my last ORD-MAD-Schengen trip it took me 21 min to go from the plane to Sala Dalí (including border control, security checkpoint, train and walking along the long terminals). That's probably an underestimate for most people, since I am a fast walker and know the airport very well.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Sounds like my only choice is Dali since I'm arriving in 4S and departing in 4.

However, really never been in this airport before, what is preventing me from going to the Velazquez in 4S then going to 4 for my flight?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
There is a security check which scans boarding passes. If you're not going to a non-Schengen flight, they'll direct you over to immigration. The only exception is if you are transferring to LHR on an IB-narrowbody operated flight that is departing from H gates and you are not allowed Schengen entry.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by amyers
Thanks all. Sounds like my only choice is Dali since I'm arriving in 4S and departing in 4.

However, really never been in this airport before, what is preventing me from going to the Velazquez in 4S then going to 4 for my flight?
If you aren't aware, the Schengen area has exit controls. So that part of the airport is in the area beyond the exit controls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.