Wiki Posts
Search

50% bonus on avios purchase 22-28 Nov

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Melia Planium, IB+, BAEC
50% bonus on avios purchase 22-28 Nov

New Iberia's promotion: 50% bonus on avios purchases 22-28th of November. This offer is not targetted and open to all IberiaPlus members. Just go to 'Buy Avios' section and you should be able to see the bonus avios option. This is better than 40% bonus avios which was running not long ago.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Works out to 1800 euros for 150,000 Avios at the cheapest price point.

Unfortunately the "share avios" isn't included, as it was always fun to transfer 6,000 Avios back and forth between accounts.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Works out at just over 1p per Avios which can be very good. I logged into buy and the following message (Welcome, Mr Forster, We are sorry to inform you that this service is not available. If you have any questions, please consult your service centre.
We apologise for the inconvenience.)

I have purchased before, but not maxed out to 150,000.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I buy M&M miles using the Trophy stamp promotions at the COOP supermarket in Switzerland, which keeps my M&M account topped up at not too daft a rate. This Iberia promotion is actually better value than that, in fact, so I will probably go for a modest amount, such as 12,000 plus 6,000 miles for €238. For larger amounts, it's a bit cheaper but not so much as to make you feel silly about buying a lower amount (such as my proposed amount above). Thanks for the heads up.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
Works out at just over 1p per Avios which can be very good. I logged into buy and the following message (Welcome, Mr Forster, We are sorry to inform you that this service is not available. If you have any questions, please consult your service centre.
We apologise for the inconvenience.)

I have purchased before, but not maxed out to 150,000.

I have the same problem... guess it has to do with Iberia IT
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's impossible to complete the purchase, that's great: it will save me a bit of money!

EDIT Still dithering about whether to jump on this or not. Clock is ticking, promotion finishes tomorrow!

Last edited by Concerto; Nov 27, 2016 at 10:49 am
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Totally impossible to buy Avios at Iberia, what utter rubbish. That's really smart, isn't it, making an offer then just saying it's not available. Took me a while to find that tiny statement, on a page of dead buttons. Won't waste any more time with this. I really hope Iberia's maintenance of their planes is better than their customer service and their really crap website. It does make you wonder.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Rubbish Ditto

I am in the same boat as Ryanfozzie and Concerto -- I have tried to purchase Avios today through all five IB Plus accounts of family members, and each time get the message: “Lo sentimos. No tienes disponible este servicio.” And then the universal “Disculpa las molestias.” Is it possible that this promo is not available to IB Plus members with a Spanish address?

Four of the five family members have not purchased any Avios this year, so it is not a matter of having reached the theoretical limit of 100,000 Avios per year.

On the other hand, AmEx is offering 1.5 Avios for each AmEx Rewards point, so I think I will transfer a bunch of those.

Would still be interested in a purchase at 50% bonus, if anyone has ideas on how to do it, however, Concerto, I’m with you. What rubbish!! How does Willie Walsh permit Iberia to provide such poor customer service (and I include the Spanish call center here)?

Thanks!!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by spainflyer

On the other hand, AmEx is offering 1.5 Avios for each AmEx Rewards point, so I think I will transfer a bunch of those.
Hi spainflyer,

this promo has been announced somewhere?

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:33 pm

I was able to buy avios with the extra 50% on Thursday. Just once. Minutes later, the same message mentioned above appeared and keeps appearing.

IMHO Iberia, after starting this promo, has realized it's too much for us, small seat users, so they have discontinued it. Maybe there was a massive use of it and they were scared. Maybe someone made a mistake

Who knows, but te fact is it was available at least for a short period of time.But it isnot anymore

In case it is a IT problem, I assume -nd hope- Iberia will extend it after its expiration today

But with Iberia you never know
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, the problem with these things is you've got to treat them like intuitive purchases, and be really snappy about it. Grab it the moment it's there, just like the same way you have to with deals in the mileage runs forum. I, too, thought maybe too many people were taking advantage of it, but I just don't buy the fact that they don't want to sell any more points: they must be making a fortune from it all. And I don't think where your address matters, my address is in Germany. I put money on the fact that it's just poor IT, no more.

Definitely not working (00h30 Switzerland time), just had another quick look.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:20 am

Well, something really strange/odd/difficult or dangerous must be going on since even today, after the 50% extra promo has ended, avios are impossible to purchase.

Great, ain't it?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Yep... there's a problem with the option. I've contacted Ib last week and they say that they are aware of the problem and you should contact Ib Plus for any queries. I guess they should be able to process the buy/gift Avios option as well
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:00 pm

Active again!!!

extra 50 avios extended until dec 1

well done, Iberia
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nonsense, I got a general email from Iberia Plus today reminding me to not forget about the buy points promotion. And, once again, when I went to look the whole system was pathetically kaput. Really irritating. I suppose you just have to keep trying to do it (buy points) and by chance the system might be working one of the times you look. Really great technology, isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.