Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade BA ticket with IB Avios

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GOLD
Upgrade BA ticket with IB Avios

I am flying on a paid ticket in Premium Economy, LHR-SFO on BA287 (distance: ~5300 miles) on 12/14. I'd like to take advantage of the new Amex transfer bonus to Iberia Avios and upgrade this leg to business. I have a BA executive club membership that has been opened for 3 months, but my Iberia account is brand new, so I don't think a mileage transfer will be possible.

Is there any way to use Iberia Avios to get the upgrade? Once I upgrade, will BA still credit AA for miles in my original booked fare class?

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by bspahn
I have a BA executive club membership that has been opened for 3 months, but my Iberia account is brand new, so I don't think a mileage transfer will be possible.
The 3 month rule is for transfers from BAEC to IB plus, but I'd say that you should be able to transfer avios from IB plus to BAEC. Have you tried it?

I'd like to take advantage of the new Amex transfer bonus to Iberia Avios
Is there a new Amex transfer bonus to Iberia?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I am flying on a paid ticket in Premium Economy, LHR-SFO on BA287 (distance: ~5300 miles) on 12/14. I'd like to take advantage of the new Amex transfer bonus to Iberia Avios and upgrade this leg to business. I have a BA executive club membership that has been opened for 3 months, but my Iberia account is brand new, so I don't think a mileage transfer will be possible.

Is there any way to use Iberia Avios to get the upgrade? Once I upgrade, will BA still credit AA for miles in my original booked fare class?

Thanks for your help.
AFAIK Iberia Plus only do upgrades on Iberia flights.

It will also take a miracle for any Business Class award space to still be available by the time your Amex points post to Iberia and then transfer over to BA. So I would only make the Amex conversion if you know that you can still use Avios at some point in the future.

In theory you should earn miles for the underlying ticket in whatever FF program you choose. In practice, once upgraded the ticket will look like an award ticket, so you have to retro-claim the original miles - this will be harder with a non-BA program.

Originally Posted by netxu

Is there a new Amex transfer bonus to Iberia?
U.S. Amex only...
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: LH (Silver), IB Plus (Gold)
You have now a promotion in IB+. If you buy avios you get an additional 50%. That is the quickest way to get avios in your IB+ account and inmediately transfer them to BAEC account to get the upgrade.
If the transfer ("combine my avios") fails, get in touch through telephone to an IB+ agent in order to help ou out quickly. Some times there is a mismatch between the names or addressed of both accounts and the system cannot fix it by itself.

There are few Upgrades in LHR-SFO route to find, so do not waste your time and go for it right now.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CapitanSalami
You have now a promotion in IB+. If you buy avios you get an additional 50%. That is the quickest way to get avios in your IB+ account and inmediately transfer them to BAEC account to get the upgrade.
I would humbly suggest that most Americans mentioning credit card point transfers are very unlikely to buy Avios at these prices. Worst case scenario they can just churn yet another credit card with a huge number of introductory bonus miles...

Those of us who can't play the credit card churning game are those that try to justify to ourselves why it makes sense to buy miles.

Besides, the OP has no problem getting Avios in IB+, it's BAEC where they are required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.