Best snowy IB destination

Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Best snowy IB destination

So in light of the recent thread, I thought I'd get some feedback here.

I want to do a weekend away this winter for somewhere with a very wintery feel, definitely lots of snow. Skiing isn't really important (we do ski, but Mrs. LC is still learning and the local slopes are more than enough for now). It has to be IB metal to take advantage of the credit card redemption promotion.

I'm thinking obviously between GVA VIE and ZRH but I really don't know how well they access what could be for a weekend away.

I'm looking for a sort of cabin in the forest sort of feel. I'm mostly shying away from ZRH because of how expensive Switzerland is in general and at GVA I would almost definitely try to make it to the French side for the same reason.

So....ideas?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:24 am

Switzerland is very expensive these days the CHF is strong. However there is a lovely resort just a few hours from Zurich and the train is easy to take from Zurich main station. Andermatt has some development recently and also some stunning views. The train can be got for around EUR45 return if you get the saver tickets on the SBB website.

http://www.andermatt.ch/en/winter/sk...dermatt-sedrun

Not sure what your hotel budget is but this the stunning new hotel there.

http://www.ghmhotels.com/en/andermatt/
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Some of the French Alp resorts are closer to GVA. Others are closer to LYS. Turin is also an option for the Italian Alps.

VIE and ZRH are not really all that close to ski resorts. MUC is a better option for Austrian (or German) skiing than VIE.

You can also fly to BCN or PNA and drive up to the Pyrenees.

No matter where you go, if you are trying for a standard Friday evening to Sunday evening weekend, you'll need to rent a car and drive a couple of hours from the airport...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:51 am
Original Poster

I'm fine with driving and was planning on getting either Friday or Monday (hopefully both) off as well.

Switzerland is definitely out, I'm on a Spanish salary, after all.

To get to the Pyrenees, I'd just drive from Madrid, which I suppose I could just do this all in Huesca and save some trouble.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Consider Chamonix

LC Yes, of course you could drive to Baqueira and ski with the same people you meet and work with in Madrid. Or for something smaller and less-Mercedes and more-Peugeot, to Cerler. But if you want Alpine and quaint, may I suggest Chamonix? Lovely town, good skiing (both cross-country and downhill), good food, and some cozy inns where you can enjoy a glass of late-night Armagnac.

I havent been there in some time, but it did not seem to me like the kind of place that would change easily. I believe there is even a bus from GVA, if you dont want to rent a car.

And if you insist on the cabin in the forest ambiance, rather than small hotel in town, AirBnB has a page of about 30 chalets listed.

Bon voyage!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:15 am
Original Poster

That does sound good. The costs for some of those mini cabins are really reasonable.

Anywhere in mind that may not be as near a ski area to keep costs down, too? Like I said we won't be skiing (I'd love to but it's a gift for her and those mountains are still too much)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
In that case you might try driving along the south side of the lake toward Evian-les-Bains (a couple of rustic hotels on the lakeside with good food), and turn south at Thenon-les-Bains and head into the mountains.

Ive only been in the summer, but there are lovely little towns on the way to Morzine which is a ski area, but not developed in the way Chamonix is.

You can do pretty much the same from Turin, heading toward Susa, then up over the mountains back into France, where you are in the middle of a national park.

But the Turin airport is often fog-bound and GVA operates well, even with snow.

Total distance in each case is only 50 60 km.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.