Wiki Posts
Search

Warmest Iberia destinations?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Warmest Iberia destinations?

Iberia messed up, and now I have a voucher for 2 tickets anywhere in their system, but I have to use them by the end of November. Was thinking Tenerife, but the weather today is the same as Chicago! (A chilly 10 degrees C). Any suggestions for warm, relaxing destinations where they fly? Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by DoctorORD
Iberia messed up, and now I have a voucher for 2 tickets anywhere in their system, but I have to use them by the end of November. Was thinking Tenerife, but the weather today is the same as Chicago! (A chilly 10 degrees C). Any suggestions for warm, relaxing destinations where they fly? Thanks!
South Africa would be a good call at this time of the year, if your tickets are good on code-shares.

Last edited by The_Bouncer; Oct 22, 2016 at 9:23 am
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
South Africa would be a good call at this time of the year, if your tickets are good on code-shares.
No, Iberia metal only . IB, I2 and YW.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I can say the weather in Canaries is VERY abnormal it's normally around 25ºC all year.

But JNB is on IB metal, so you could do that. EZE/MVD is going into summer as well, but that's a hell of a detour to make it there. GIG could be another S. American destination.

I don't know how TLV is this time of year, but that could be another good option.

RAK is always good for exploring Morocco.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:01 am

I think JNB is a good idea, South America is an obvious possibility but probably does not make much sense from Chicago.

Although I think the Canaries are still the best option, LupineChemist is right in that the weather should be warm.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Canary Islands is your best bet for warm weather in Europe.

If the voucher is for Business Class, I would unquestionably be aiming for JNB (just buy a separate ticket to Cape Town or somewhere along the Garden Route) or even NRT/PVG.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:34 am
Suspended

If you can get to JNB on IB metal, then that would be my recommendation. The November climate is perfect, and the cost of living is very low at the moment - about 14 Rand to the USD.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Now for something really different

If it is just sun you are after, you could also try: HAV, SJU, SDQ, GYE, PTY. Not quite as warm but a lot cheaper: CCS. Somewhat more exotic: SSG. And if none of these suits, OSL is nice this time of year! Happy travels!!
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorORD
Short haul choose TFS / ACE. The weather is changeable but mostly good.

For long haul HAV would be my first choice. Cuba is wonderful.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spainflyer
If it is just sun you are after, you could also try: HAV, SJU, SDQ, GYE, PTY. Not quite as warm but a lot cheaper: CCS. Somewhat more exotic: SSG. And if none of these suits, OSL is nice this time of year! Happy travels!!
Originally Posted by DELLAS

For long haul HAV would be my first choice. Cuba is wonderful.
Even if the OP wanted to fly from Chicago to said places via MAD, I suspect that IB would only allow a voucher to be used on a route where IB actually post a fare. i.e. since AFAIK IB don't sell ORD-HAV, then they could quite rightly say that the voucher is good for a ORD-MAD return or a MAD-HAV return but not both.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Canary Islands would be nice!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Even if the OP wanted to fly from Chicago to said places via MAD, I suspect that IB would only allow a voucher to be used on a route where IB actually post a fare. i.e. since AFAIK IB don't sell ORD-HAV, then they could quite rightly say that the voucher is good for a ORD-MAD return or a MAD-HAV return but not both.
I'm guessing they would see ORD-MAD-HAV as an open-jaw, i.e. ORD-MAD as the outbound, and MAD-HAV as the return.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Was just in the Canaries, got back yesterday. It was surprisingly cool and very wet when I arrived on the 23rd. It got warmer and less rainy as the week progressed. The banana plantation people where I was staying were jumping up and down with happiness at the rain.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:58 am

It was exactly the same weather as the same week last October. Heavy rain and floods in some areas. Usually it does not last more than a few days. Some flights were cancelled and diverted to FUE from ACE.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks! Would prefer some kind of short haul from Madrid. Thinking RAK, or the Canaries (looks like there are 3 airports here- which is the best for relaxation and exploration?). The alternative is flying to Seville, Malaga, or Tangiers and making my way to Marrakech and then flying back to Madrid. Any suggestions? Are any of those places nice to visit around this time of year? I have only been to Madrid and Barcelona. Fortunately, open jaw is permitted. And- yikes- the wifi onboard is ridiculously expensive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.