Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Award travel PHL-MAD, then buying MAD-LCG... what can go wrong?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

I have 5 in my family going PHL-LCG. Using OW miles we can only get 4 seats on the IB flight MAD-LCG. Planning to book PHL-LCG for 4 people, and for me, PHL-MAD and buy a MAD-LCG ticket.

I'm not checking bags. With a 3 hour connection in MAD will I have enough time to clear customs and get checked in for MAD-LCG? What else could go wrong?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
3 hours is easily enough assuming no delays.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
With no bags you should have no problems at all.

Obviously you are not protected in case of a substantial delay on PHL-MAD causing you to miss your IB flight. Therefore I might buy a one-way from MAD-LCG so that, if you miss that flight, no additional flights are cancelled. (if you skip/miss a flight, the rest of an itinerary is lost)

If you have IB Avios, you could also book the fully flexible economy award and have even more protection.

Try to check in online so that you have boarding pass in hand before reaching MAD...
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif

Obviously you are not protected in case of a substantial delay on PHL-MAD causing you to miss your IB flight. Therefore I might buy a one-way from MAD-LCG so that, if you miss that flight, no additional flights are cancelled.
Not sure I follow. The group that will have the OW award ticket PHL-LCG would be protected if there's a delay into MAD, right?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stevehuff
Not sure I follow. The group that will have the OW award ticket PHL-LCG would be protected if there's a delay into MAD, right?
Of course, it's the person on the separate tickets who wouldn't be protected.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Of course, it's the person on the separate tickets who wouldn't be protected.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.