Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Downgrade of a business class ticket to Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade of a business class ticket to Economy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Gold, EK Silver
Thanks to all for your messages.

I had already called AA before I posted this thread, but as Andriyko said, the tickets were issued by IB so I had to check with IB.

After many phone call to IB client service and asked to speak directly to a manager, the leg betwwen SJC-ORD of my tickets were changed yesterday from Y to A (First).

It was difficult to be heard, but finally all is okay
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by voxx
Thanks to all for your messages.

I had already called AA before I posted this thread, but as Andriyko said, the tickets were issued by IB so I had to check with IB.

After many phone call to IB client service and asked to speak directly to a manager, the leg betwwen SJC-ORD of my tickets were changed yesterday from Y to A (First).

It was difficult to be heard, but finally all is okay
^ Great result
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Business class on AA within N America, Central American and Mexico

There seems to be some information being shared which is not accurate. As a frequent flyer of AA including domestic, Mexico, Central and South America etc. Please allow some clarification.

There are frequently flights on AA sold as J/C in the "Premium" cabin (i.e. Domestic F class product) this is not determined by equipment but, rather marketing requirements.

If you look at the market DFW-QRO you will note that it is sold as business in the "premium" cabin on a CRJ-700/900 operated by Mesa. Clearly there is no lay flat seat but it is marketed with C/I/J fare classes and not F/P/A indicating the marketed flight is business.

In the case of the flight referenced. IB has a codeshare which is marketed in business for the premium cabin (As does AA) and which should correspond to the front of the aircraft (pointy side) which should have been operated with AA's domestic F class hard product and marketed as a C/J class flight.

The OP has a valid expectation and unfortunately with the less then stellar customer service of AA and IB stands a small chance of resolving.

At minimum a waitlist for the premium cabin should be offered and possibly look at alternative routings (ie. thru MIA). If successful with a waitlist then a call to AA and ask the agent to contact revenue mgmt and see if they will release the seat to clear the waitlist.

Good luck
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acvitale
There seems to be some information being shared which is not accurate.
Indeed. Thankfully the issue is resolved for the OP but the suggestion in several posts above that, if there is no business class bucket, then the proper class of travel is economy is simply not true. Pretty much all I class fares on BA, IB or AY book into A or P (which are first class inventory buckets) on two-class domestic AA flights. You do have issues with some fares booking into Y in South America on LA but not with AA domestically. Now, on a single class domestic AA flight, then clearly I class fares book into an economy bucket, but that is not normally the case on two-class aircraft.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by NickB
but the suggestion in several posts above that, if there is no business class bucket, then the proper class of travel is economy is simply not true.
And you base your assertion on what?

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Booking Class Search:
Departing CDG on 12/23/16 for LAS
Fare basis code ILN4Y4T1
Flying AA
Routing via North Atlantic

Booking Class

>$LB2                                                          
002 PARLAS 23DEC16 AA USD 1952.00 ILN4Y4T1 STAY---/12MBK-I     
FARE CLS  EXPLANATION                            BOOK CODES    
--------  ----------------------                 ----------    
ILN4Y4T1  BUSINESS EXCURSION FARES                  I          
ILN4Y4T1  BETWEEN AREA 2 AND AREA 1 FOR ROUND TRIP FARES       
ILN4Y4T1  FOR ADULT                                            

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS                                       
   VIA AA  P     REQUIRED      WHEN AVAILABLE  I- FARES  BETWEEN
                               USA-USHI                        
   VIA AA  Y     REQUIRED      I- FARES  BETWEEN USA-USHI      
   VIA AA  I/D   PERMITTED     I- FARES  BETWEEN JFK-LAX       
   VIA AA  Y     REQUIRED      I- FARES  BETWEEN JFK-LAX       
   VIA AA  I/D   PERMITTED     I- FARES  BETWEEN JFK-SFO       
   VIA AA  Y     REQUIRED      I- FARES  BETWEEN JFK-SFO       
   VIA AA  I/D   PERMITTED     I- FARES  BETWEEN MIA-LAX  777  
                               SERVICE                         
   VIA AA  Y     REQUIRED      I- FARES  BETWEEN MIA-LAX  777  
                               SERVICE                         
   VIA AA  A     REQUIRED      WHEN AVAILABLE  I- FARES  WITHIN
                               USA                             
   VIA AA  P/Y   PERMITTED     I- FARES  WITHIN USA            
   VIA AA  P/Y   PERMITTED     I- FARES  WITHIN NORTH AMERICA  
   VIA AA  Y     PERMITTED     I- FARES  WITHIN EUROPE  FLTS   
                               8035-8103                       
   VIA AA  D/J   PERMITTED     I- FARES  BETWEEN LON-EUROPE    
                               FLTS 6246-6779                  
   VIA AA  Y     REQUIRED      I- FARES  BETWEEN LON-EUROPE    
                               FLTS 6246-6779                  
   VIA AA  A/Z   PERMITTED     I- FARES  BETWEEN DOH-MIDDLE EAST
                               FLTS 7970-8019                  
   VIA AA  Y     REQUIRED      I- FARES  BETWEEN DOH-MIDDLE EAST
                               FLTS 7970-8019                  
   VIA AA  J/Y   PERMITTED     I- FARES  WITHIN EUROPE         
   VIA AA  I/Y   PERMITTED     I- FARES  WITHIN AREA 2         
   VIA AA  I/Y   PERMITTED     I- FARES  BETWEEN AREA 2-AREA 3 
   VIA AA  I     REQUIRED      I- FARES
When there is no required bucket in the premium cabin then full fare economy (Y) is booked. The through fare will price correctly only with the correct bucket in the premium cabin or Y. The passenger, of course, does not have to agree to be booked in coach and may prefer to look for an alternate route/date/flight. But if someone wants to travel on a particular flight/date and there is no availability in the premium cabin, the correct procedure is to book into Y. Once the ticket is issued no free changes will be allowed even if the correct booking class in the premium cabin opens up. This is why passengers should be careful when booking flights because if there is no availability in A or P, for example, the system will correctly offer the flight in Y. the same applies to BA fares, with the only difference that only A can be selected on AA domestically for I fares but Y will work as well (if the passenger agrees to travel in coach of course).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Andriyko, the OP is travelling from ORD to SJC, so I think the required bucket is A, if available:

VIA AA A REQUIRED WHEN AVAILABLE I- FARES WITHIN
USA

The buckets you highlighted are specific routes which are operated 3 class (JFK-LAX etc) or otherwise different (Hawaii, USHI).
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Andriyko, the OP is travelling from ORD to SJC, so I think the required bucket is A, if available:

VIA AA A REQUIRED WHEN AVAILABLE I- FARES WITHIN
USA

The buckets you highlighted are specific routes which are operated 3 class (JFK-LAX etc) or otherwise different (Hawaii, USHI).
If you read the entire list you'll see that 'Y' is permitted for I fares within the USA (all domestic flights). As I explained before, in the absence of the required bucket Y can be selected, however, the passenger does not have to agree to it.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
And you base your assertion on what?
On experience but the rules that you printed just confirm it.
Several posts asserted that, in the absence of business class inventory on on a two-class domestic AA flight, an I class fare would only allow travel in the economy cabin.
I stated in my post that this assertion was simply not correct as most I class fares on BA, IB or AY book into A or P (which are first class inventory buckets) on two-class domestic AA flights.
The rules that you quoted explicitly confirm that.

If you read the entire list you'll see that 'Y' is permitted for I fares within the USA (all domestic flights). As I explained before, in the absence of the required bucket Y can be selected, however, the passenger does not have to agree to it.
But that is a completely different thing. I did not say that travel in Y class was not permitted. What I said is that the assertion that it has to be either I class or, if there is no I class, then it has to be Y was not correct.
I class fares routinely book in A or in some cases P. Now, clearly if there is no A class availability either, then that is a different matter but that was not what was being discussed.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:39 am

On experience but the rules that you printed just confirm it.
Several posts asserted that, in the absence of business class inventory on on a two-class domestic AA flight, an I class fare would only allow travel in the economy cabin.
I stated in my post that this assertion was simply not correct as most I class fares on BA, IB or AY book into A or P (which are first class inventory buckets) on two-class domestic AA flights.
The rules that you quoted explicitly confirm that.
Not in the absence of the business class inventory but in the absence of the correct inventory (which is A or P for AA fares and A for BA fares domestically, apart from a few routes where there is a business class cabin). So, if there is no A or P on a two class flight F cannot be selected and only Y can be offered. Obviously, there is no business class inventory on most domestic flights under AA code.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not in the absence of the business class inventory but in the absence of the correct inventory (which is A or P for AA fares and A for BA fares domestically, apart from a few routes where there is a business class cabin).
This is getting a little tiring. I expressly referred to the A and P bucket and to 2-class aircraft in my original post and again in this one.
What I was questioning was the "If no I then Y" assumption that seemed to underpin certain earlier statements such as
The question is what class of service your IB fare bucket books into on AA and that is most likely Y if this is a significant sale.
or
If there's no fare bucket availability - in this case I - for one of the legs, particularly a less important connecting flight, then the pricing engine will often opt for the lower cabin/class.
I think that all of us taking part in this discussion know here that you need availability in the correct inventory. The issue was the assumption that the absence of I inventory (because it is not offered at all on the flight) normally leads to booking in Y on AA domestic flights. This is generally not the case on OW tatl I class fares (setting aside the peculiar case of 3 class aircraft) as these normally book in A or P. Clearly, if you also do not have inventory in the right first class bucket (normally A, sometimes P), either because the particular inventory is exhausted or the inventory is not offered at all (practically: if it is a single class aircraft ), then we then move on to Y but that is not what we was being talked about and certainly not what I was discussing in my posts.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:16 pm

But that is a completely different thing. I did not say that travel in Y class was not permitted. What I said is that the assertion that it has to be either I class or, if there is no I class, then it has to be Y was not correct.
I class fares routinely book in A or in some cases P. Now, clearly if there is no A class availability either, then that is a different matter but that was not what was being discussed.
Sorry. I read it more broadly as the correct booking class in the premium cabin for the I class fare rather than strictly I bucket per se (to avoid listing all fare classes in business and first). Hence the confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.