Boarding Pass THREE months in advance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:37 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Boarding Pass THREE months in advance

First time booking with IB.

1. Is it normal, that you can check in and print your boarding pass with IB three months in advance as I just did?
2. I could chose seats for free (even exit rows) with an A class economy ticket. The seats are also noted on the boarding passes.

Just wondering, not used to receive a boarding pass so long in advance ....
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
According to IB website:

Reserve your seat and get your boarding pass as soon as you purchase your flights from Iberia, Iberia Express and Air Nostrum except for flights to/from London, Lyon, the USA, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, the Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua, Cuba and South Africa.

http://www.iberia.com/gb/online-checkin/?language=en
Then, seat selection depends on the fare. "Basica" does not allow free seat selection, while "Clasica" does.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Shl

1. Is it normal, that you can check in and print your boarding pass with IB three months in advance as I just did? Just wondering, not used to receive a boarding pass so long in advance ....
Yes, no problem with that. Used it several times in the past with no problem whatsoever.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Shl

1. Is it normal, that you can check in and print your boarding pass with IB three months in advance as I just did?
Works like a charm - use it all the time and very grateful for that service so that I can prepare well ahead of time.

Just one caveat - you should check closer to the time (i.e. perhaps a week in advance) whether IB did not swap aircraft type which could affect your seat assignment - in which case you just go to "gestiona mi reserva", reselect another seat if the newly assigned one is not to your liking and re-print the BP
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:17 am
Shl
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Thank you all for the replies!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by noturbulence
Works like a charm - use it all the time and very grateful for that service so that I can prepare well ahead of time.

Just one caveat - you should check closer to the time (i.e. perhaps a week in advance) whether IB did not swap aircraft type which could affect your seat assignment - in which case you just go to "gestiona mi reserva", reselect another seat if the newly assigned one is not to your liking and re-print the BP
^ Yes it happened to me a few times. I advise downloading the My Flights App then you get aircraft change and seat change alerts.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I have an upcoming MAD-BCN flight and am offered to get the BP now. When I open the seatmap to pre-assign seats half of the economy section is blocked. If I do online check-in now will I get the full map or will the rest of the seats open up at T-24? Thanks.

Last edited by Andriyko; Aug 3, 2016 at 5:50 am
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I have an upcoming MAD-BCN flight and am offered to get the BP now. When I open the seatmap to pre-assign seats half of the economy section is blocked. If I do online check-in now will I get the full map or will the rest of the seats open up at T-24? Thanks.
Just as an update. Using the early boarding pass option won't open up the blocked seats. These will only become available during online check-in. I don't understand what's the purpose of this service if IB blocks half of the cabin on its domestic services.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just as an update. Using the early boarding pass option won't open up the blocked seats. These will only become available during online check-in. I don't understand what's the purpose of this service if IB blocks half of the cabin on its domestic services.
In the case of the MAD-BCN, it surely will be because it is a "Puente Aereo" flight (shuttle service, where you can take any available flight as long as you show up at the airport at least 20 mins before departure and there are seats available).

Normally what they do is having half of the cabin for Puente Aereo tickets, and half of the cabin for "regular" tickets (for a specific date and time). That should be the reason why you see half of the cabin blocked.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:53 am

Thank you for the explanation 4lB3R70! Do you know if it is possible to select seats at the front of the cabin during online check-in?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: Melia Planium, IB+, BAEC
A few weeks ago I checked in, chose my seat and printed a boarding pass for Iberia flight in December 2016 - almost four months in advance. I think it's brilliant! That's how it should be, IMHO. But I am flying in business, so maybe that's why.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC, QF.
My first time on IB, next April. I found a really good fare in Y, strangely on American Airlines as a code share, but MAD-LAX is on IB metal, and LAX-LHR on BA metal. No flights on AA machines!
I have been able to reserve seats on the LAX-LHR leg, (though the BA website), but can't seem to do anything on the IB flight. Any tips here? It's a long flight, on an A333, and I'd love to try and snag some decent seats.

Thanks in advance!

edit; by the way, I'm just a BA blue. No other status.

Last edited by studyolic; Oct 12, 2016 at 12:15 pm Reason: additional information
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC, QF.
Update;
I went into my BAEC account, and the whole itinerary was there - I could select seats on all legs of the trip. Strange!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: Iberia Plus, Flying Blue, Delta Skymiles, Priority Club
Yes, I chose seats months in advance on Iberia when I purchased a round trip last December 2015 for flights in January 2016 and June 2016.
In the meantime, those flights were modified unilaterally 3 times by Iberia all the way up to a couple weeks from travel days and each time I needed to go back and reconfirm or choose new seats depending how the modification affected the plane or seat plan.
So although it's a good plan to reserve seats at purchase time, you cannot be sure that you'll actually get those seats when flight day arrives.

Last edited by asimegusta; Oct 13, 2016 at 5:44 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
When are seat plans updated?

Yes, I just checked in and printed boarding passes for my flights in June, 2017. Así – did IB notify you when the flights were modified? Or did you simply have to keep going back to “Gestionar mi reserva” and checking to see that the seats you had chosen were the ones you were assigned?

I am flying on a route (MAD – SCL) which almost surely will be the new A340-600 configuration (1-2-1 in Business Class), but the IB website keeps showing me the older model 2+2+2 configuration, and I have to choose my seat from that configuration.

Any experience with that? Is it worth my calling Iberia Plus and listening to their tinny “music” on hold to try to get the real seat I want? Or just keep checking “Gestionar mi reserva?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.