Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Carry on/Hand Luggage measurements

Hola,

Will be travelling from:

1) Paris Orly (ORY) to Madrid (MAD)
2) MAD - Ibiza (IBZ)
3) IBZ - MAD

How strict are the agents at the airports in measuring carry on/hand luggage? I have an old Tumi rollerboard I've been using for years that have served me fine on AA flights, but this is my first time flying IB. It's slightly taller than the 54cm. Probably it's 58cm in height/length.

Wanted to see if I really needed to by a new carryon bag.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ArrVea
Hola,

Will be travelling from:

1) Paris Orly (ORY) to Madrid (MAD)
2) MAD - Ibiza (IBZ)
3) IBZ - MAD

How strict are the agents at the airports in measuring carry on/hand luggage? I have an old Tumi rollerboard I've been using for years that have served me fine on AA flights, but this is my first time flying IB. It's slightly taller than the 54cm. Probably it's 58cm in height/length.

Wanted to see if I really needed to by a new carryon bag.
Not too much of a data point, but I flew LIS-MAD, MAD-JFK and nobody seemed to care about our rollaboards.
Old May 7, 2016, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Good to know. Thanks for the info
Old May 7, 2016, 4:28 pm

My flights last week they never checked any of the carry on luggage and plenty were over the ''official'' dimensions. You should be fine.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:21 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Do check if any of your flights is operated by Iberia Regional Air Nostrum. If so, the small size of the overhead storage area will mean that despite the `acceptable' size of your hand luggage, you will need to hand them to the porters prior to ascending the stairs of the aircraft for them to store in the hold. Only very small items (handbags, small knapsacks) are allowed to go into the aircraft. On disembarking, you will have to wait at the cargo hold area to retrieve your hand luggage prior to entering the airport building. It did not work out well for us one time when we had porcelain in the hand luggage. It was all broken because the porters are not usually very careful with the luggage.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Yep, thanks for the tip. The MAD-IBZ is on Air Nostrum, so I figured I'd need to gate check the rollerboard anyways, which is why I didn't want to have to buy a new rollerboard for the ORY-MAD. My current one has done fine on AA flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.