Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vueling Hand Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Vueling Hand Luggage

Is the 10kg limit in Vueling for just the carry-on, or carry-on + personal item?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:49 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
http://www.vueling.com/en/customer-s...ns-of-carriage

8.5 Hand luggage

Each Passenger may only carry one item of hand luggage of up to 10 kg and no larger than 55x40x20 cm, with the exception of the Excellence fare which allows for one item of hand luggage of up to 14 kg.
In addition, the Passenger may carry one extra item free of charge and which must be significantly smaller than 55x40x20 cm, such as a small briefcase, a handbag or camera.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
In my experience, if you check-in at a counter you might be asked to weigh your carry-on. Otherwise if you print out your boarding pass and head to the gate, I've never been asked (or seen anybody) have their bag weighed.

The size restriction is more commonly enforced.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:25 am

Even if you are within their limits, there is no guarantee that you will allowed to keep your hand luggage if you are one of the last to board. At some point during boarding the cabin staff will start taking all hand luggage (except for what fits under a seat) from the passenger to put them in the hold.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:24 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by craigthemif

The size restriction is more commonly enforced.
Does anyone have any more recent experience with this? The carry on size limit is less than 8 inches depth.

My hard sided computer case is 10 inches. I can get it below the 10kg limit easily by filling my pockets if necessary, but I can't squeeze the sides.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:18 am

just to piggyback on this question, just how strict are they with the dimensions?

I see for instance that their website says 55x40x20cm but I have a bag that I think is like 20.6cm to be exact... do I need a smaller bag?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:56 am
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
A recent experience update.

I flew two days ago with my slightly oversize computer bag. It didn't appear they were enforcing carry-on size limits at all. Quite a few people boarded with bags that would have been commonplace on a US carrier. At least on my flight, the rule seemed to be that anything that fits in the overhead or underseat is allowed.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
I'm flying VLC-MAD-MIA. Vueling and then AA. I'm One World Emerald due to AA EXP status.

I have a carry on size rollerbag + a decent size computer bag. I was hoping to keep them both with me all the way. I'm not opposed to valeting/gate check my rollerball on Vueling. Do they do that? Will I get it when I get off the Vueling flight.

never have flown this route before.

Appreciate the insight.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:55 pm

Get a seat in rows 2-4 or an emergency exit row. (Pay for it if you need.) You will be allowed to board first, and normally they should let you on with the luggage. They might ask you to put the laptop bag under the seat in front of you (if not at an exit of course), but I guess you'll survive that for such a short flight.

The problem with Vueling is for those who do not board at the beginning. At a certain point they start taking hand luggage away to put in the hold. (And no, they do not deliver it at the aircraft after landing.)
Old May 26, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Koby
Get a seat in rows 2-4 or an emergency exit row. (Pay for it if you need.) You will be allowed to board first, and normally they should let you on with the luggage. They might ask you to put the laptop bag under the seat in front of you (if not at an exit of course), but I guess you'll survive that for such a short flight.
The disadvantage of exit row is that you aren't allowed anything under the seat in front.

Second, this is Spain. The most likely boarding scenario is a mass of people paying no attention to boarding priority, etc. There will be a queue, but it will be made up of people who shouldn't be in it. (i.e. they will probably call rows 16-31 first, but then make little effort to police it or, if they do, there will be a massive scrum as people push past those who are trying to maintain their "place in the queue" even though they aren't allowed to board yet)

For trekker, forget that you have AA status. Irrelevant on Vueling as it is not a member of Oneworld. (so no lounge at VLC)

Also note that permitted European LCC rollaboard sizes are smaller than American ones. If you want a more relaxing time, just check your rollaboard the standard way at VLC. If you really want to carry it aboard, you should try to get a seat around row 20 and go stand in the queue as soon as the gate is announced (45-60 minutes pre-departure). As koby says, you need to be one of the first on board but any "priority boarding", if respected, will be flashed through so quickly as to not be noticed.

So much can go wrong with a gate checked Vueling to AA connection that I wouldn't recommend risking it. Take the piece of mind and spend a few extra minutes in MIA waiting at the carrousel...
Old May 26, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
VY operates VLC-MAD? I can't find any of their flights in the schedule, only IB and UX...
Old May 29, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
opps, right you are BA, its Vueling going to Vigo, but it is IB Air Nostrum VCL - MAD.

Sorry I caused you to search and I was wrong. My details are showing both smaller legs as IB flights operated by ..... just assumed the VCL flight was on vuelling too.

So do I have better luck on Air Nostrum because its showing an IBeria number? Its all about my return, I hate waiting in MIA. Its my home base but its the worse waiting on luggage in Customs.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:55 pm

Air Nostrum operates regional jets on those flights, so a typical wheeled suitcase won't fit in the cabin (in this case, it will be returned to you when you get off the plane).

On the other hand, your OW status does count for Air Nostrum flights (unlike with Vueling).

Last edited by Yllanes; May 29, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.