Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Slightly odd experiences with Iberia Regional/Air Nostrum last night

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold; Amex Platinum

Bit of a peculiar flight last night with an extremely distracted cabin crew. I regularly fly VLC-MAD and vice-versa on the awful CRJs (I quite like the ATR 72s - bit more modern), and while its always a 30 minutes I'd rather spend doing something else, service is normally pretty good.

However yesterday, they were all distracted. Lots of casual chatting between themselves on boarding, then a maintenance issue occurred before taxi and we were waiting 30 minutes before take off. They did NO safety demonstration and didn't even play the safety recording - we only heard the initial one that asks us to pay attention when it comes. Like most frequent flyers I know they are a bit tedious - especially if they have to do them in two languages - but I was a bit taken a back by the lack of one yesterday and it appeared a little slapdash. I took out my seatback safety leaflet on the front row as if to waft it around to remind her in a not-so-discreet way (by the time she saw me the crew member was now strapped into her pull out seat for take off), and she looked as if to say 'shucks - I forgot'....

The flight was also really bumpy - which didn't make me or the passenger sat next to feel at much ease - especially given the maintenance issue previously!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: IB+ Platino
"Odd experiences"?
I'll say!
I have also flown on Air Nostrum quite a few times between Malaga and Madrid. I am completely surprised by the lack of a safety demonstration.
Whilst newspapers, pre. flight drinks etc. are a matter of choice per airline and therefore are excusable when forgotten......
To forget the safety demo is actually in breach of air travel regulations is it not?
I fear for their jobs if anyone wrote/called in about it.

Apart from all that, I agree about the CRJs, not the best of aircraft but accpetable for a 50 minute flight.
Nick
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: IB+ Plata / LATAM Pass Black
Wow! Quite shocked by what I've read!:O Just writing seated in MAD-VLC. I take a lot this route and never happened before to me...

I agree with you regarding the narrow CRJs. Some years ago Iberia had its own MAD-VLC Airbus flight but not any more since the high speed train started to compete against this route.

PS: I hate this crappy old-fashioned seats...
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:48 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Sorry for stealing the thread - I am flying VLC-MAD in I-class (Business) - connecting to a long haul flight. Is there any service? IIRC Air Nostrum did not even had a separate C-class cabin - but my last flight with them was some 8 years ago...
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: IB+ Platino
Originally Posted by TPJ
Sorry for stealing the thread - I am flying VLC-MAD in I-class (Business) - connecting to a long haul flight. Is there any service? IIRC Air Nostrum did not even had a separate C-class cabin - but my last flight with them was some 8 years ago...
Hi TPJ

Your flight will be on one of Air Nostrums CRJ's.
I have flown with them a few times from Malaga to Madrid so the flight time and service is virtually identical to yours.
This is what you can expect.

1. Seats are 2 X 2 configuration. Rows 1 to 2 (3 Max) are Business class separated from the other rows (Econ) by a curtain. The bus class seats are the same as the econ seats. If you can bag row 1 then you will have the extra legroom and space.

2. Before take off you will be offered newspapers/magazines.

3. After take off you will be offered a cold "refreshing" towel.

4. Drinks and food service starts very soon after take off due to shortness of flight..... 40-60 minutes.
Usual choice of alcoholic drinks available + coffee, tea, etc.
On my last flight the couple in front of me got through 4 of those small Cava bottles plus a bear which was no mean achievement.

5. Food...... breakfast is usually something like a croissant filled with ham/cheese. Sandwiches at other times. Again, you cannot expect too much on a short flight.

The service is actually done quite nicely. No trolleys needed. The cabin crew will simply come to you and ask you what you would like to drink and if you wish to eat. They will then go away and prepare your "choice(s)".
There are 2 cabin crew dedicated to the Business class which considering is an absolute maximum of 6 pax, is not too bad at all.

As an aside, I have not flown out of VLC but if the lounge is anything like Malaga's then you will like it. The lounge in Malaga could probably seat 300 but I have never seen more than about 50 people at one time in there and at is very comfortable indeed. I am sure that VLC can be like AGP sometimes in the main departures area feeling like a zoo with the amount of people there so my advice is get to the lounge as soon as you have gone through security.

Nick
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:03 pm
TPJ

Thank you Nick - looks good... I was not really expecting anything... Was even thinking if I should to but a bottle of water before boarding
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold; Amex Platinum
Agreed about the service - it's normally quite nice. They have an obsession with sachet wet wipe towels (I'm personally not keen!) and showering you with newspapers and the service is personal. Tropicana orange juice is normally available and nice cheese/jamón/lomo ciabattas are also served during the day and breakfast as described above with sometimes a pot of yoghurt with a muesli sprinkle.

Valencia is a good airport for people that dislike large airports and long walks (e.g. Madrid - I like it but the walking is a pain!). It's all compact but also quite basic. Security is a bit slow and congested at busy times. The lounge however is always quiet, with a decent bar selection but the food is pretty rubbish. Pre packed sandwiches in a fridge look very unappetising (think downmarket newsagents). There is an attempt at a business area, internet speed is ok. I think it overall looks a bit tired. The upstairs part is often blocked off.

Note I had another flight with them from VLC to MAD yesterday morning. Two successive system errors caused an aborted take off, a further hour on the Tarmac waiting for the engineer to fix it. It's the first time out of about 30 flights however that I've had such an issue. They did at least do the safety demo this time...
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:52 am
TPJ

Wow... I am actually looking forward to this short hop...
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:29 pm

Hello! I am flying from YVR to EAS via LHR and MAD. I am traveling on Iberia 3177 to Madrid and Iberia 8324 to EAS. On Expedia itinerary it says IB3177 operated by Iberia, BA website says IB3177 operated by BA and Iberia website says IB3177 operated by BA. My connection to EAS is IB 8324 operated by Air Nostrom. Confused. Anyway, my main question is regarding baggage requirements. Does anyone know the hand carry allowances for each of these flights in particular Air nostrom? I seem to find BA and Iberia info but not Air Nostrom. I want to avoid having to check in baggage as my connections are tight. Other threads say its the same as iberia and others say it is smaller on Air Norstrom and u are only allowed 1 handcarry and no personal item such as a purse/ camera bag but do not give dimensions. I dont want to find out at check in resulting in having to try to fit my purse in baggage as I will be carrying medications etc. any advice would be appreciated. thanks
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You already asked that question in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...l#post28082762

You have the same allowance as on Iberia flights. You can have a personal item. The larger item will need to go in the hold - gate-checked and gate-retrieved. This is different from checked luggage which you check-in at check-in and retrieve at baggage claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.