Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to use avios for booking Binter Canarias flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage

Was anybody able to book flights on Binter Canarias using avios? At first glance it looks possible:

http://www.iberia.com/web/webPartner...&idPartner=714

However, a few reports indicate that it is virtually impossible to redeem avios for Binter Canarias flights:

http://rapidtravelchai.boardingarea....ouble-venture/

Tonight I am trying to redeem Iberia Avios for a Binter Canarias flight. Setting aside moving points to affiliated Avios.com or to British Airways, Iberia alone boasts numerous airline partners such as Avianca and TACA in the Spanish-speaking Americas, see the full list here. Interestingly, some of these partners, including Binter Canarias, can only be booked by telephone with that airline’s call center, not Iberia’s. As Binter Canarias is closed for the weekend I tried Iberia on a lark. After waiting 32 minutes to speak to an agent, there was another dozen minutes of well-intentioned confusion that only confirmed that Iberia agents cannot book awards on these flights. I am tempted to just buy the ticket as it appears a roundtrip is required and as I will dump the return, I would only be getting about a cent per Avios. My blood is up so I will have a spin on Monday before I give in. I don’t speak Spanish and hoping that the English website for Binter Canarias indicates they will have English-language service.

and the story continued:

http://rapidtravelchai.boardingarea....r-and-a-churn/

Iberia defeated me. Last week I was game to attempt to redeem Iberia Avios for a flight on Binter Canarias. Binter is one of the many non-OneWorld partners of the greater Avios family of BA, Iberia and Avios.com. Some of these partners reportedly can only be booked by calling that airline instead of Iberia. Well, a bunch of calls to Iberia and even to Binter produced nothing in the way of a ticket. The best I could piece together is that, despite no mention on the redemption guidelines, it may only be possible to redeem for Binter flights that codeshare with Iberia. My Las Palmas, Gran Canaria – Praia, Cape Verde, which is operated by Air Nostrum, yet the Air Nostrum website does not even list the destination, is not a codeshare.

So, was anybody successful in booking Binter Canarias flight with avios? If so, please share your story.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:28 pm

Never tried myself with AVIOS but a friend of mine gave up and bought a ticket instead. The only experience I had was with DISA petrol points which were equally as hard to cash in. It meant going with ID to the airport ticket counter and doing the process there. Was too much hassle in the end.

I like Binter I fly with them about 5-6 times a year. I find the staff on the ground and in the air friendly they are reliable but trying to use points was their down fall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.