Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia Express Business from LGW South - Clubrooms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold; Amex Platinum

Hi folks - I'm on a Business Class flight from LGW to MAD tomorrow night from the South Terminal. I've heard rumours about the Clubrooms (by No.1) being available - but can't find anything definite - does anyone know for sure? I know the regular No. 1 is closed for refurb work.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
See the last few replies of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...ge-access.html
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:11 am
Original Poster

great - thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Well, I'm in the club rooms waiting for my flight to Madrid. Mixed feelings. iM more concerned about the staff behaviours than the lounge itself, but here are my findings!

Checked in business class at the Iberia Express counter in the Gatwick South Terminal. I asked the lady what the lounge arrangements were and she breathed in sharply through her teeth (clearly dreading me asking that question) saying 'Well at the moment it's the Clubrooms, but they're having renovation work done too. Apparently they keep running out of food too, so I'm not sure.' She sure did set my expectations low and I was preparing to be turned away or for a rubbish experience.

I got a 5/10 experience. The girl who met me at the door didn't say a word to me (despite my cheeriness!), took my boarding pass, keyed some details into the computer and handed it back to me without saying a word. I found a quiet area to sit down - there were probably only about 10 people in there, but the nice furniture (very grey though!) was covered in newspapers, tables hadn't been cleared. I waited ten minutes to be served at my table which is no big deal.

I opted for a glass of beer and the Asian noodle broth. The beer was fine but the broth was an unappetising wallpaper paste gloop, bland and over cooked. A guy near me had a nice looking salad.

I didn't much enjoy hearing the boss lady ordering her staff around or charging around the lounge like a heat seeking missile in stilettos trying to look busy.

One of the waiter guys was really nice. The female staff I came into contact with were ether aggressive or apathetic.

In terms of help yourself food and drink there are canned soft drinks (Schweppes/Coke), coffee machines, fruit bowls and pieces of marble cake and caramel slices. That's it as far as I can tell.

The environment itself has the potential to be quite nice - but the poor/non existent buffet, unappetising food and disaffected staff let it down. It's a bit 'All fur coat...' If you get my drift. I preferred the other No 1 lounge in the south terminal which is also being refurbished.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:43 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Perfectly acceptable lounge, quick table service, decent juice and coffee, certainly better decor than the the old galleries club in the north terminal.

Asked to see my card on entry. Noticed they do that with everyone not travelling in business class and entering on status.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:14 am

I was there last night. Greeted at temporary entrance by a friendly lady and she said she apologised for the not so grand entrance. It actually is not that bad. Lovely lounge and lots of places to relax. Fast wifi and plenty of charging points. Hot food to order and plenty of drinks. I was in both lounges.

Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: AB topbonus Gold, IB+
I will try to enter the lounge with the boarding pass, without showing the status card as I do not have it. I am Oneworld Sapphire with airberlin.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Once I was asked for the card, once I wasn't. YMMV but they should still let you in without, just a bit more of a faff.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by spanishflyer
I will try to enter the lounge with the boarding pass, without showing the status card as I do not have it. I am Oneworld Sapphire with airberlin.
I was asked for it on my last visit but not sure what they would have done had I not had it. The status on the BP should be enough but if you reach a wall ask for a manager.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: AB topbonus Gold, IB+
Update: I could enter the No 1 Lounge at LGW South showing my Iberia Express boarding pass with the status. The lady at front desk did not ask me for the card.

Thanks for you answers.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Can you not use the BA lounges if flying Iberia Express in business or with status?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by AndyRobin
Can you not use the BA lounges if flying Iberia Express in business or with status?
Yes, you can. But it drew some weird looks from the lounge person, and she kept looking at the BP. I asked her what she was looking for, and she said ticket number. I didn't know airlines printed ticket number on boarding passes, and was about to make a sarky remark, but decided to let it go.

She then went away to confer with a colleague, but came back saying we could go in. Although she pointed us towards the Club lounge (we do have Gold status), and said lounge closes at 19:15 - an hour before our flight was about to leave. At 7:20 we were indeed asked to leave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.