Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Flying Iberia to Peru on 5 month passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi folks

A friend of mine is flying to Peru tomorrow from Heathrow returning in 2 weeks. She holds a German passport which expires in 5 months.

Officially, I've read she needs a passport valid for 6 months, so she is aware of what Iberia check-in staff could do at Heathrow if they spot this and what cPeruvian immigration could do when she arrives.

I am writing this post incase anyone has a personal experience (rather than opinion) on entering any country on a passport which expires in under 6 months.

Many thanks
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Since the published requirements for a 6-month validity are clear, the airline has every right to deny boarding to the passenger at LHR. If your friend slips through, the immigration authorities in Peru might also decide to turn her around and send her back on the next plane. (which is why Iberia will probably deny boarding in the first place since they would be held responsible for deporting the passenger back to origin)

It is rarely sufficient to show a return plane ticket before the passport expires, since anybody could just skip the flight and stay longer, so long in fact that their passport expires and they are unable to leave.

The fine print in all airline tickets is that it is the passengers responsibility to ensure they have the appropriate travel documents before departure. I suspect your friend will learn an expensive lesson.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Since the published requirements for a 6-month validity are clear..... I suspect your friend will learn an expensive lesson.
Nothing I didn't already know :roll eyes:

Now... about those personal experiences...
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: A3 *S
I had a friend (Canadian passport with less than 6 months validity) who was recently deported from a South American country on arrival.

I cannot remember the country unfortunately… But it did cause huge hassles as he was the only one in his family with the issue, and his whole family ended up having to buy tickets and going back with him.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
Nothing I didn't already know :roll eyes:

Now... about those personal experiences...
What personal experiences are exactly going to be applicable? YMMV... What happens to one person might not happen to another. Most of us on Flyertalk tend to keep our passports up to date. No sarcasm is necessary.

Presumably at some point you will tell us what happened to your friend. Perhaps she has been to Lima airport and is now on her way back...
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Personal experience (not with Peru) - sometimes they check and sometimes they don't. If they check and there is this requirement - she will not be allowed to fly.

Edited to add: it doesn't matter if the passport is just several days out or several months out, if it doesn't meet the requirements, she will not fly.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:19 am
Original Poster

What personal experiences are exactly going to be applicable?
See below.

What happens to one person might not happen to another
Really...

No sarcasm is necessary.
Oops

Presumably at some point you will tell us what happened to your friend.
She experienced no issues and had a great trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.