Wiki Posts
Search

Huge fare increase IB ex Cairo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI
Huge fare increase IB ex Cairo

I am travelling CAI-LHR in early July on IB. I paid $1423 for a J ticket; this was not a special promotion, but was repeatable across a wide range of dates.

Today, out of curiosity I looked up the fare for the same flight and date - and it is quoted at $4,345 - a three-fold increase. And all flights for the foreseeable future are at that rate.

I admit to being pretty uneducated on the subject of airfares - but how is it possible that an airline increases its fares by so much? When BA's fare depending on date of travel is pretty much half that?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:21 am

It is a codeshare flight right? A IB marketed but BA operated flight. Because, AFAIK IB has no flights to or from Cairo.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:29 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by mtdd
I am travelling CAI-LHR in early July on IB. I paid $1423 for a J ticket; this was not a special promotion, but was repeatable across a wide range of dates.

Today, out of curiosity I looked up the fare for the same flight and date - and it is quoted at $4,345 - a three-fold increase. And all flights for the foreseeable future are at that rate.

I admit to being pretty uneducated on the subject of airfares - but how is it possible that an airline increases its fares by so much? When BA's fare depending on date of travel is pretty much half that?
IB does not fly from CAI and does not seem to currently publish any fares for CAI-LHR.

But assuming they did as a codeshare on BA operated flights, they may have either changed the lowest fare, or more likely zeroed out the lower fare buckets meaning you can only purchase higher fares.

Depending on how the codeshare is setup, each airline may have a set allocation of seats, and offer different fares so either the codeshare(s) or operating carriers can be cheaper.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI
Yes it is BA metal, but you can book it as an IB flight through Expedia, Cheapoair and others. You can also find it on Matrix. You do get a BA PNR and of course avios and TPs.

I was just intrigued that the price should have shot up from $1400 to $4300. Perhaps someone at BA woke up one day and spotted the thing and decided to put a stop to it? The BA fare was around $2,400 on the flight that I am taking - $2,000 saving for 2 pax when booked on IB.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:08 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
FYI, it's not a BA PNR, but an Amadeus PNR. You can plug the same number into Iberia, or indeed any Amadeus site, and it will work just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.