Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Madrid airport facilities: overnight wait on non-connecting flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hi all,

Checking the opening hours for IB's lounge in Madrid shows it is open 24 hours, but that is in the non-Schengen zone of the airport.

I will be arriving on the last BCN-MAD flight of the day: around 10.30pm using Avios.

Then I start my main journey MAD-LHR-HKG the following morning.

My question is:
Is there any way I can use the 24-hour lounge based on my MAD-LHR sector ticket?

If not, are there any other facilities available land or airside, or is the best bet an airport hotel?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
You could pretty easily go all the way into the centre of Madrid - it's not far from the airport.

• All taxis are a fixed fee of 30 euros to anywhere in the centre and at that time of night will take 15-20 minutes.
  • The Metro will take about 35 minutes and costs 4.90
  • The Renfe (suburban rail) takes about 25 minutes and costs 2.90 (I think)

There's really no reason to stay in a hotel near the airport, hotels in Madrid are cheap and plentiful (and there is always airbnb too). If I was you, I'd get into the centre of town, drop my bags off at a hotel and go out for some tapas & cañas.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:17 am

I am not sure how many hours they let you through T4S security before the flight so maybe someone else can advise who has done it before.

With regards hotels there are some good deals to be had around the airport with free shuttle bus. If you want a basic but clean hotel with free shuttle then the SHS Airport hotel opposite the Crowne Plaza is not bad. A good App to use is Hotel tonight as they often have cut price deals closer to the time.

Personally I would not want to stay up all night in Madrid but this is of course a personal choice.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I would definitely say your best bet would be to get a hotel by Nuevos Ministerios and just take the train into the city.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP might want to check the Sleeping in Airports website.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I would definitely say your best bet would be to get a hotel by Nuevos Ministerios and just take the train into the city.
I agree with this, although if he just wants to sleep there are a couple of nice and inexpensive hotels with free airport shuttles (Axor Barajas is a good choice).
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
As mentioned, there are more than enough decent, cheap airport hotel options in MAD...

But given the OP's flight schedule, it's not the worst idea to do an all-nighter. The LHR-HKG flight must leave in the early afternoon, in which case little sleep would be possible anyhow before arriving to HKG the next morning.

So it can make sense to stay up all night the night before, then crash on the plane all the way to Asia, waking up Asia a.m. good to go... I've done it before and found it much better for jetlag.

As for the lounge, if you only have carry-on baggage, I can't see much of an issue staying airside and going to the lounge. If you have to check in luggage, I doubt you'll find anybody willing to take it that early.

It's been awhile since I flew MAD-LHR but OP needs to be aware that T4 / T4S can vary depending on whether the flight is on IB or BA metal.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
As mentioned, there are more than enough decent, cheap airport hotel options in MAD...

But given the OP's flight schedule, it's not the worst idea to do an all-nighter. The LHR-HKG flight must leave in the early afternoon, in which case little sleep would be possible anyhow before arriving to HKG the next morning.

So it can make sense to stay up all night the night before, then crash on the plane all the way to Asia, waking up Asia a.m. good to go... I've done it before and found it much better for jetlag.

As for the lounge, if you only have carry-on baggage, I can't see much of an issue staying airside and going to the lounge. If you have to check in luggage, I doubt you'll find anybody willing to take it that early.

It's been awhile since I flew MAD-LHR but OP needs to be aware that T4 / T4S can vary depending on whether the flight is on IB or BA metal.
Everyone thank you so much for your suggestions.

I'm taking the first flight to LCY on BA Cityflyer. But waiting 24 hours until the next HKG flight instead so I get an extra 24 hours in London.

As for my sleeping arrangements, I will probably kip in a hotel even if it is for 6/7 hours at that.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Well the LCY flight leaves from T4 rather than T4S so you wouldn't be able to get in there anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.