Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Business Upgrade worthwhile for MAD TO LIS for lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Upgrade worthwhile for MAD TO LIS for lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Hello all
So I'm curious if it's worthwhile to get the business class upgrade in Madrid as I have a 3hr layover there.
I know the flight is short and that there's not really a comfier seat that comes with it but would like to see what the general consensus is here.

And I'm assuming it would be only with not spending more than $100/€60.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
As lounged go, it's quite nice, but it's still that, just a lounge. Some comfortable chairs, drinks and snacks. Nothing amazing, but pleasant nonetheless.

Three hours is not that long and Madrid T4 is a nice airport, and I'm sure you could find somewhere else to sit down, browse the shops and have something to eat - I think I'd rather do that for the sake of 60 EUR.

Also note, that unlike on BA, POUG upgrades on Iberia do not get any extra tier points.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
If all you care about is lounge access, there is also a non-Iberia paid lounge at T4:

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Ae...Revoltosa.html

It costs 26.50, which is a lot less than the 60.00 for the business class upgrade. I've never used it, but I imagine it will be much the same.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:42 am

I have been to La Revoltosa several times (it is a Priority Pass lounge). It's not as nice as the Iberia lounges, but quite adequate. There are snacks, salads, olives, spanish omelette and even a couple of microwaveable dishes (lasagna I think).
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Thanks for the input guys.
I'll likely end up passing on it then and just explore the airport.

I presume I'll be in TS4? I presume I can also leave and go explore the normal T4 as well without any problem?

Thanks again
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: MUCCI
I wouldn't pay for it.

I'd even make sure you will get value out of the AENA lounge before paying for that either, and the AENA lounge fee would also certainly cap the price I'd pay for an upgrade (well below 60 EUR).
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
I presume I'll be in TS4? I presume I can also leave and go explore the normal T4 as well without any problem?
Where are you arriving from? And which arline?

Your MAD-LIS flight is likely to depart from T4 (main) anyway.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by David-A
I wouldn't pay for it.

I'd even make sure you will get value out of the AENA lounge before paying for that either, and the AENA lounge fee would also certainly cap the price I'd pay for an upgrade (well below 60 EUR).
Sorry AENA? What's that?
Originally Posted by David-A
Where are you arriving from? And which arline?

Your MAD-LIS flight is likely to depart from T4 (main) anyway.
I'm arriving from Marrakech via Air Nostrum and then taking Iberia mainline to Lisbon.

I assumed T4S because that's where I departed from on the way to Marrakech.

I presume the premium lounge doesn't have wines?

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:23 pm

AENA is the organisation that manages Spanish airports. They operate a lounge in each MAD terminal, separate from the IB lounges.

You cannot pay to enter the IB lounges (which do have wines, of course), you can only get in with status or a business class ticket.

You can pay about 25 € for a pass to get in the AENA lounges (which are also associated with Priority Pass).

What people are saying is that, if you only want lounge access, it is cheaper to buy the pass for the AENA lounge than to buy the upgrade to get in the (nicer) IB lounge.

Personally, rather than pay for the lounge I would spend my money to eat something in the terminal, and then find a quiet bench to wait.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yllanes
AENA is the organisation that manages Spanish airports. They operate a lounge in each MAD terminal, separate from the IB lounges.

You cannot pay to enter the IB lounges (which do have wines, of course), you can only get in with status or a business class ticket.

You can pay about 25 € for a pass to get in the AENA lounges (which are also associated with Priority Pass).

What people are saying is that, if you only want lounge access, it is cheaper to buy the pass for the AENA lounge than to buy the upgrade to get in the (nicer) IB lounge.

Personally, rather than pay for the lounge I would spend my money to eat something in the terminal, and then find a quiet bench to wait.
Thanks for the explanation.
My original plan was to get into the Iberia lounge by way of the doing a business class upgrade but won't be doing it anymore based on what everyone here has said. Esp since there's no upgrades with extra points.

I don't think I'll be eating much before so the thought of eat a LOT was tempting as well. I've had tagine (last nights especially was really good) the past 3 nights so I'm ready for something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.