Wiki Posts
Search

Bidding for business - seat selection?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Bidding for business - seat selection?

I'm considering bidding for business class for JFK-MAD on a flight where it'll just be and my young son, particularly since its an overnight flight. He's well behaved on flights (we've survived NY to asia flights before without much trouble) and I know he'll sleep on it, but I think sitting on his own might be a recipe for trouble.

If I win the bid, do I have any control over seat selection in business class? Will they pair travelers flying together, together? I imagine it's possible that if Iberia gave us our bid and separated us, someone might be willing to swap, but it seems a bit much to ask in business class, especially given the layout ( http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ibe...s_A330_300.php ).
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't know the full legal requirements but airlines really aren't in the business of seating strangers next to young children when a parent is on board...

For that reason a lot of bulkhead seats are held back from pre-selection.

Winning the bid is much more unlikely than being separated. I've never tried it before, but one can assume that they accept upgrade bids only when business class is relatively empty...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by tj-traveler
I'm considering bidding for business class for JFK-MAD on a flight where it'll just be and my young son, particularly since its an overnight flight. He's well behaved on flights (we've survived NY to asia flights before without much trouble) and I know he'll sleep on it, but I think sitting on his own might be a recipe for trouble.

If I win the bid, do I have any control over seat selection in business class? Will they pair travelers flying together, together? I imagine it's possible that if Iberia gave us our bid and separated us, someone might be willing to swap, but it seems a bit much to ask in business class, especially given the layout ( http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ibe...s_A330_300.php ).
Not sure when you are looking to fly, but I just booked a couple of JFK-MAD tix for me an Ms TFD in Biz for $2100 each. It's a hell of a deal. This may end up being less than your coach + upgrade charge depending on what fare basis you are on. The $2100 fare books into I class and is non-refundable business class.

TFD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.